• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Blemain Finance repossession Unfair relationship Unfair charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blemain Finance repossession Unfair relationship Unfair charges

Hi blem-ished

You raised some interesting points above
    As for what the government is doing, then the answer is to little and to late.

Blemain have been under investigation since 2009 after all this time you then se a fine of £2 million for CMC. This is an insult for all the people that have suffered thro the actions of this company.

In 2009 monarch recoveries made a profit of £9 million in one year, they run this scam for years and only get a fine of £2 million you can see why they run this scam, as even when they get caught they are very much still in profit.

As for what they are doing, is it criminal then I am of the opinion that it is but for someone to try and prove this or get the police to investigate then that is a task on its own.

When someone comes to a forum like this they are usually in some sort of trouble and the help they need is how to defend against a repossession, so all the things you mention about contacting media, MP, police, OFT/FOS wont really help with the specific problem.

In the long term then bringing blemain to the attention of the above then this is defiantly worth doing, but it takes someone with time, commitment and a passion for getting justice. ( don’t under estimate the work involved )

Now if you are looking at whether what they have done is criminal then you need to look at what I post below, but trying to get someone to do anything about it is a task on its own.

Below is not something I think any one should try and take on there own, but if they can get the police or a government regulatory body to take on then go for it.

An Introduction to the Fraud Law Framework

There is no single law which prohibits fraud. What lawyers call 'fraud law' is in reality covered by a mixture of different offences and common law (evolved and established legal principles). They range from offences covered by the theft act to the new offences of the Fraud Act 2006.
    The Fraud Act 2006
    Major reform in fraud law occurred with the introduction of the Fraud Act 2006. This means that on 15 January 2007 the old general offence of fraud was replaced by parts of the Fraud Act.
    The Fraud Act created these new offences:
    Making a false representation (section 2) monarch recoveries
    Dishonestly failing to disclose information (section 3) monarch recoveries
    Abuse of position (section 4) monarch recoveries

A further offence of conspiracy to defraud still exists. It is very broad and is often used as a "catch-all" where the prosecution would have difficulties for technical reasons to get a conviction for one of the new offences, but the prosecution have to show that more than one person was involved
    The Dishonesty of the Defendant in a Fraud Allegation
    It is a basic principle of fraud law that the prosecution must prove that the defendant was acting dishonestly when he or she did whatever has been alleged. This issue is often the key issue in many fraud trials. An example might be a situation where a defendant asks a business associate to lend him £20,000, having assured him that his or her minicab business is viable when it was actually on the edge of insolvency. The court would have to be sure that the defendant realised this and that he knew it was dishonest. The test for dishonesty is usually decided by the jury of 12 members of the public - it is a test that must be decided on the facts specific to each case.
    The law says that the jury must be sure about whether the defendant has been dishonest by satisfying both stages of the legal dishonesty test (sometimes called the Gosh test).
    The first stage of the test is that according to the standards of reasonable and honest people what was done must have been dishonest.
    The second stage of the test is that the defendant himself must have realised that what he was doing was (by the standards of reasonable and honest people) dishonest.
    The second part of this test means that even if someone does something which they believe to be justified (an example a judge once famously used is that of Robin Hood robbing from the rich to give to the poor), if they must have known that ordinary people would find it dishonest, then dishonesty is proven. In other words, it is the knowledge of the fact that the public view a type of action as dishonest, not agreement with that view, which proves dishonesty.
    How Fraud Allegations Arise
    Fraud investigations sometimes arise as a result of regulatory investigations or audits by regulatory bodies such as the FSA, although the reality is that allegations more often are the result of a party facing a major loss and reporting it to the authorities. Classic examples of credit card fraud conspiracies, mortgage fraud, or Missing Trader (MTIC) or other VAT frauds all come about because a person or persons (in the latter case HMRC) has lost money rapidly and suspiciously

wp

Comment

This is what can happen in cases of fraud. And as so many lenders have been acting in a questionable way then why have there never been a case of imprisonment for these people ? Maybe if they had defrauded HM revenue and customs out of so much monies things would have been different, but as they only defrauded the public then that seams to bo OK.
      Fraud Act 2006
      Participating in fraudulent business carried on by company etc.: penaltyE+W+S+N.I.
      This section has no associated Explanatory Notes
      (1)In Schedule 24 to the Companies Act 1985 (punishment of offences), in column 4 of the entry relating to section 458 of that Act, for “7 years” substitute “ 10 years ”.
      (2)In Schedule 23 to the Companies (Northern Ireland) Order 1986 (punishment of offences), in column 4 of the entry relating to Article 451 of that Order, for “7 years” substitute “ 10 years ”.

Comment

Hi Welshperson On the point of going to the media to get them to look specifically at the Monarch Recoveries scam, though, this is something that is easy to do. It's a quite simple, fully founded and proven story for them. Blemain added charges of £250 - or even more?- to accounts. The FSA has said it was wrong (it doesn't matter that the ruling related to CMCL rather than Blemain specifically, it was the same practice by the very same people). Having added the £250 (or more) to one or more accounts, they have then charged people interest on that sum, at up to 17.7%, I understand. Some of these loans go on for 25 years. The consequence of the charges being left on the account, for someone in financial hardship, can be catastrophic. That £250 will have grown into hundreds more. When someone's loan term ends, Blemain then hits them with the £250 plus sky high interest over years. The person can't pay. Blemain charges them arrears charges. Blemain takes them to court and repossesses their property, ruining their life and that of their families. Henry Moser and his friends have been told to repay everyone they scammed. Let's remember, for much of the period this was going on, this outfit were part owned by Barclays Bank. Barclays should pay. The current investors should pay. Anyone who has suffered from being charged for the Monarch fees, should have them refunded, and if they have suffered further financial loss because of them - ie that debt led them to more debt and default, they should be fully compensated. I don't understand the silence about this. Just to ask again, is there anyone else please, willing to contact the media about this, and get them to challenge the Jerrold Group, Barclays and any other current investors. Henry Moser is one of Britain's wealthiest men. Why is he being allowed to get away with this? If people could just please reply re this one point - anyone willing to help research a journalist who might take this up and get it sorted for all the victims. That would be a great start, wouldn't it, would focus their minds on continuing to bully and exploit people in any similar way.

Comment

What about everyone writing to their own MP about the way these sub prime lenders work in your own cases against Blemain and maybe that might just rock the boat to get to the right person to help to stop these unfair practices.

All it needs is one templated letter which I am sure one of you who are involved with this bunch could write and which could be marginally changed to suit each individual's own case and then just needs posting off. I bet the minister concerned for this will be very interested when he starts to receive dozens of complaints about sub prime lending (especially connected to Blemain)( and then we can go accross the board with other sub prime lenders) from his Rt honerable colleagues.

Comment

Unfortunately/fortunately my issue is not with Blemain but another sub-crime lender. Rather unknown on LB - ADV2.

Comment

The FSA must have some good and hard evidence to prove that Monarch Recoveries & Blemain are two in one..........that is one of the reasons they fined Cheshire Mortgages.

I wonder if we could write to the FSA and ask them for the proof they have about Monarch & Blemain?

Comment

Hi blemished
                With regard to contacting the media, then this a good idea, but the media has no power to make blemain do anything, but if there was enough media coverage the government may take an interest and step in to do something.

As you feel this is the right way to go how about you researching and finding out if someone in the media is interested in this story ?

Ask the question if people are willing to tell their story to the media, if you get enough people willing to talk to the media then find out if someone in the media will run this story.

I for one am willing to talk to the media, if someone else organises it, I have a high court case going on with blemain and this takes all my attention, and at this point my focus is on beating them in court, (and being a man I can only focus on one task at a time)

A point about monarch recoveries that I think you may have missed is that not only the £250 transfer fee but also all the £35 letter and phone call charges that were made by monarch are also just as much a scam. This can bee seen as the FSA have told them they have to reimburse approximately 2000 customers at an approximate cost of £2 million that means each customer would receive approximately £1000, as they were only charged £150 transfer fee the other monies must be all the letter and phone call charges monarch added to customers accounts, also blemain have removed the name monarch from letter and phone charges on all accounts,

wp

Comment

Hi jumper

The FSA wont tell you anything

Comment

Hi Jumper I'm a bit puzzled by your posts, I don't mean to be unfriendly, but they always seem to muddy the waters.

There is no need whatsoever for anybody to "prove" anything about the illegitimate use by Blemain of the name of the front company, Monarch Recoveries, to add illegitimate charges to people's accounts. There is no need to prove they are the "same". The action the FSA condemned, was that of them using an in-house company to collect payments, and charging a fee for having "transferred" borrowers to that company. As Welshperson has very clearly informed us, Monarch Recoveries was just a device. It had no staff, the people who were claiming to be employed by Monarch Recoveries, were just Blemain staff. Please don't muddy this thread any more. All the info anyone needs about this is already here, there's no good reason to question it.

2. The Moser/Jerrold web.
                    The more you find out, the worse it gets. For instance, the company Auction Finance, also one of the Moser companies in the same building. Auction Finance lends money to people to buy properties at auction. Auction Finance website says "
                    The team here at Auction Finance Limited have established long-term relationships with an extensive range of auction houses across the UK. Below is the list of auction houses which we are currently working with."
                    Well, what an interesting list. Most of the auction houses in the UK. And here's how it works. Auction Finance (remember, this is Moser and his crew) boast about what very close relationships they have with the auctioneers. That's the auctioneers who are selling your house, that Moser has just repossessed, at a knock down price. Auction Finance even have stalls at auctions.

And if you look on the Auction Finance Limited website you will also see this: "The Essential Information Group works with auction houses across the UK and has selected Auction Finance Limited as its preferred partner for all finance enquiries submitted, via the Essential Information Group website." EIG Group is the major supplier of information about repossessed houses for property investors. On their website, they list all repossessed houses that are coming up for auction in the UK. And if anyone enquires about a repossessed property, they get directed straight to Moser and his crew, for the financing to buy it.

What a disgusting set up. How can this possibly be allowed? Once you borrow from Blemain/Cheshire/Lancashire Mortgage Corporation, you are on a conveyor belt to have massive illegitimate charges added, harassment, repossesion, then Moser, Goldberg and crew recycle your house through auctioneers - remember they are described as "auction houses which we are currently working with" at a nice knock down price to a property investor.... funded by Moser.

Remember that in auction contracts, there is a clause that says the auction house doesn't have to accept any bid. That means they don't have to accept the best bid. They can reject any bid they want to. So what happens to people who might want to buy your property at auction, who aren't funded through the web of Auction Finance Limited/EIG? Are they going to get to buy your property, or is it the Moser-funded person who gets to buy your house?

We need a major public and/or criminal enquiry into this web of disgusting relationships, like the Rachman enquiry of the 1960s. How many "commissions" are there along this chain ?

Here is a quote from the EIG website, greedy, greedy, greedy, slavering over how much profit they can leech from vulnerable hard working people whose lives they have ruined: "Number of repossessions going to auction is up 100% on 18 months ago!

If you are looking to buy a repossession at auction, there has never been a better time to look at property auctions. With over 20% of all residential lots offered at property auctions being repossessions, the banks selling are even keener to sell. With prices as low as 60% of what the mortgagor originally paid, can you afford not to look??

Grab yourself a deal to see what repossessions are coming up at property auctions in your area."
                    Last edited by Blem-ished; 21st February 2013, 21:36:PM.

Comment

And here's another quote from the EIG website:

Sandeman (that's the founder of EIG) said: ""The team at Auction Finance Limited are a key feature at many of the major property auctions throughout the UK and the company is known to offer a high standard of customer service together with fast funding solutions, essential for the auction market."
                      Essential for the auction market....houses repossessed by Moser...create the auctions, and his loans through Auction Finance Limited, are "essential" to keep the auctions going.

When is the government going to act to stop this?

Comment

"I for one am willing to talk to the media, if someone else organises it, I have a high court case going on with blemain and this takes all my attention, and at this point my focus is on beating them in court, (and being a man I can only focus on one task at a time)"

That would be brilliant if you would speak to them. I will be on the case at the weekend.

By the way, does anyone know if Henry Moser, Marc Goldberg, etc, have links with political parties, or local or national politicians? Any donations to political parties?

Comment

I am sorry if you think I have muddied your thread but that is what forums like LB are about...somewhere where people can post their views & comments about debates in open for all to read and learn....and that is how we learn and go forward.

I would have thought any help or info against Blemain would be useful for all who read Blemain threads...and I apologise if you think I have gone off topic.

Comment

My claim against Blemain is on the 28th March. They have applied to have it struck out. I dont think they will get it. I will keep you posted

Comment

Originally posted by welshperson View Post
                              Hi blemished
                              With regard to contacting the media, then this a good idea, but the media has no power to make blemain do anything, but if there was enough media coverage the government may take an interest and step in to do something.

As you feel this is the right way to go how about you researching and finding out if someone in the media is interested in this story ?

Ask the question if people are willing to tell their story to the media, if you get enough people willing to talk to the media then find out if someone in the media will run this story.

I for one am willing to talk to the media, if someone else organises it, I have a high court case going on with blemain and this takes all my attention, and at this point my focus is on beating them in court, (and being a man I can only focus on one task at a time)

A point about monarch recoveries that I think you may have missed is that not only the £250 transfer fee but also all the £35 letter and phone call charges that were made by monarch are also just as much a scam. This can bee seen as the FSA have told them they have to reimburse approximately 2000 customers at an approximate cost of £2 million that means each customer would receive approximately £1000, as they were only charged £150 transfer fee the other monies must be all the letter and phone call charges monarch added to customers accounts, also blemain have removed the name monarch from letter and phone charges on all accounts,

wp
                              <dan.hyde@thisismoney.co.uk>,might be interested,regards Streetwise.

Comment

Hi Figaro
                                Blemain don’t want to have to justify in court what they have been doing to people. Applying for a strike out is standard procedure for blemain they done that to me, and I also know of others that they have tried this with have they applied to have your claim struck out or just sent you a response to your claim stating that they reserve the right to have part or all of your claim struck out?

If you feel comfortable explaining why they applied for a strike out then maybe someone on here may have some good advice, if you feel it is better to keep this point quiet until after the case then that is ok.

If you look at the CPR rules it effectively gives the court the power to let you rectify any mistake you may have made, if they are going for a strike out on a technicality.

Some documents listed below and how they may help you in court.

Accounts and financial statements (monarch recoveries)
                                in here is the evidence that monarch had no employees, it also states the business of M.R is debt collecting, it also shows how much profit they made out of debt collecting. In 2009 the cost of collecting debts is listed at £600,000 and the profit made after all expenses is £ 9 million.
                                The above document would also show that the charges were not a genuine pre estimate of there costs.

The judgment below is were log book loans were doing the same thing as blemain using monarch, and it was found to be such a deceitful practice that they lost their licence.
                                A copy of the full decision by the First-tier Tribunal can be found on their website, at the following link www.consumercreditappeals.tribunals.gov.uk/decisions.htm.

Case Nos. CCA/2009/0010
                                & CCA/2009/0011
                                IN THE FIRST-TIER TRIBUNAL
                                GENERAL REGULATORY CHAMBER
                                (CONSUMER CREDIT)
                                On appeal from: Adjudicator’s determinations 16 October 2009
                                Office of Fair Trading’s
                                Decision references: ADJ/1975 – CCA – 512966 (Nine Regions Ltd)
                                and ADJ/1974 – CCA – 458150 (Log Book Loans)
                                Dated:
                                BETWEEN:
                                Appellants:
                                Log Book Loans Ltd
                                & Nine Regions Ltd (t/a Log Book Loans)
                                Respondent: The Office of Fair Trading
                                Heard at: The Employment Appeal Tribunal, Audit House
                                Victoria Embankment, London EC4Y 0DS

David Fisher, Director of the OFT's Consumer Credit Group said:
                                'The OFT welcomes the Tribunal's decision to strike out the companies' appeals. The decision confirms our view that these companies are unfit to hold their consumer credit licences. Intentionally deceiving debtors as part of a debt collection policy is an extremely serious matter, which calls into question a licensee's fitness. We expect businesses licensed by the OFT to treat all their customers, including those in arrears, fairly and transparently

WP
                                Last edited by welshperson; 22nd February 2013, 21:28:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X