• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mackenzie Hall Letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mackenzie Hall Letter

Good morning all,

I have had the dubious 'pleasure' of dealing with this outfit.

This is a letter which I sent to them in 2008. I have not heard anything else from them! Please feel free to 'cut and paste' if you feel this will help. You are also welcome to PM me if you wish.

Copy of letter sent to Mackenzie Hall....I have updated one sentence as ' In November 2006 this changed as Section 154 Criminal Justice Act 2003 is now activated. ', and at the date of my letter this had yet to be on the Statute Book.
    Thomas Lloyd
    Mackenzie Hall
    30 The Foregate
    Kilmarnock
    KA1 1JH

20th May 2008

First Class recorded delivery

Re: M XXXXXX

I do not acknowledge any debt to your company or any other person.

I have today received your unsigned letter dated 9/5/2008. I will not be making any payment to you.

I will not be calling you. This is because I do not carry out any financial business on the telephone, all business between us must be in writing.
    It is necessary to draw your attention to my letter to you dated 9th May 2008, sent by recorded delivery first class mail.
    Royal Mail have confirmed receipt by you of this letter.

This letter required certain information from you – that information is still outstanding.

In the meantime, the contents of your letter dated 9th May 2008 constitute an offence under The Fraud Act 2006 .

The appropriate sections read:

[B]Section 1.
    Subsection (3) sets out the penalties for the offence. The maximum custodial sentence of 10 years is the same as for the main existing deception offences and for the common law crime of conspiracy to defraud.

This section makes it an offence to commit fraud by false representation:

Subsection (1)(b) requires that the person must make the representation with the intention of making a gain or causing loss or risk of loss to another. The gain or loss does not actually have to take place. The same requirement applies to conduct criminalised by sections 3 and 4. Subsection (2) defines the meaning of "false" in this context and subsection (3) defines the meaning of "representation". A representation is defined as false if it is untrue or misleading and the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading. Subsection (3) provides that a representation means any representation as to fact or law, including a representation as to a person's state of mind.

Subsection (4) provides that a representation may be express or implied. It can be stated in words or communicated by conduct. There is no limitation on the way in which the representation must be expressed. So it could be written or spoken or posted on a website.
    Subsection (5) provides that a representation may be regarded as being made if it (or anything implying it) is submitted in any form to any system or device designed to receive, convey or respond to communications (with or without human intervention). The main purpose of this provision is to ensure that fraud can be committed where a person makes a representation to a machine and a response can be produced without any need for human involvement.

Section 3., makes it an offence to commit fraud by failing to disclose information to another person where there is a legal duty to disclose the information. A legal duty to disclose information may include duties under oral contracts as well as written contracts. The concept of "legal duty" is explained in the Law Commission's Report on Fraud, which said at paragraphs 7.28 and 7.29:
    "7.28 ..Such a duty may derive from statute (such as the provisions governing company prospectuses), from the fact that the transaction in question is one of the utmost good faith (such as a contract of insurance), from the express or implied terms of a contract, from the custom of a particular trade or market, or from the existence of a fiduciary relationship between the parties (such as that of agent and principal).
    7.29 For this purpose there is a legal duty to disclose information not only if the defendant's failure to disclose it gives the victim a cause of action for damages, but also if the law gives the victim a right to set aside any change in his or her legal position to which he or she may consent as a result of the non-disclosure. For example, a person in a fiduciary position has a duty to disclose material information when entering into a contract with his or her beneficiary, in the sense that a failure to make such disclosure will entitle the beneficiary to rescind the contract and to reclaim any property transferred under it."

Section 5. defines the meaning of "gain" and "loss" for the purposes of sections 2 to 4. The definitions are essentially the same as those in section 34(2)(a) of the Theft Act 1968 and section 32(2)(b) of the Theft Act (Northern Ireland) 1969. Under these definitions, "gain" and "loss" are limited to gain and loss in money or other property. The definition of "property" which applies in this context is based on section 4(1) of the Theft Act 1968 (read with section 34(1) of that Act) and section 4(1) of the Theft Act (Northern Ireland) 1969 (read with section 32(1) of that Act). The definition of "property" covers all forms of property, including intellectual property, although in practice intellectual property is rarely "gained" or "lost".

Section 6. makes it an offence for a person to possess or have under his control any article for use in the course of or in connection with any fraud. This wording draws on that of the existing law in section 25 of the Theft Act 1968 and section 24 of the Theft Act (Northern Ireland) 1969. (These provisions make it an offence for a person to "go equipped" to commit a burglary, theft or cheat, although they apply only when the offender is not at his place of abode.) The intention is to attract the case law on section 25, which has established that proof is required that the defendant had the article for the purpose or with the intention that it be used in the course of or in connection with the offence, and that a general intention to commit fraud will suffice. In R v Ellames 60 Cr. App. R. 7 (CA), the court said that:
    "In our view, to establish an offence under s 25(1) the prosecution must prove that the defendant was in possession of the article, and intended the article to be used in the course of or in connection with some future burglary, theft or cheat. But it is not necessary to prove that he intended it to be used in the course of or in connection with any specific burglary, theft or cheat; it is enough to prove a general intention to use it for some burglary, theft or cheat; we think that this view is supported by the use of the word 'any' in s 25(1). Nor, in our view, is it necessary to prove that the defendant intended to use it himself; it will be enough to prove that he had it with him with the intention that it should be used by someone else."
    Subsection (2) provides that the maximum custodial sentence for this new offence is 5 years.

Section 7 makes it an offence to make, adapt, supply or offer to supply any article knowing that it is designed or adapted for use in the course of or in connection with fraud, or intending it to be used to commit or facilitate fraud. For example, a person makes devices which when attached to electricity meters cause the meter to malfunction. The actual amount of electricity used is concealed from the provider, who thus makes a loss. Subsection (2) provides that the maximum custodial sentence for this offence is 10 years.
    In the Magistrates Court the sentence for a single offence may not exceed 12 months. However, Section 78 of Powers of Criminal Courts Act (Sentencing) Act 2000 imposes a maximum of six months. In November 2006 this changed as Section 154 Criminal Justice Act 2003 is now activated.

Section 8: (B) "Article"
    Section 8 extends the meaning of "article" for the purposes of sections 6 and 7 and certain other connected provisions so as to include any program or data held in electronic form. Examples of cases where electronic programs or data could be used in fraud are: a computer program can generate credit card numbers; computer templates can be used for producing blank utility bills; computer files can contain lists of other peoples' credit card details or draft letters in connection with 'advance fee' frauds.

Section 12. This repeats the effect of Section 18 of the Theft Act 1968. It provides that if persons who have a specified corporate role are party to the commission of an offence under the Act by their body corporate, they will be liable to be charged for the offence as well as the corporation. By virtue of subsection (2)(a) and (b) this offence applies to directors, managers, secretaries and other similar officers of companies and other bodies corporate. Subsection (3) provides that if the body corporate charged with an offence is managed by its members the members involved in management can be prosecuted too.

It is now too late to reverse your position, as a report has today been passed to the OFT.

However, I am conscious of the possibility that their enquiries may be protracted and so therefore I have today made a formal complaint to the Police, providing a S.9 Witness Statement, together with first generation copies (taken by the Police) from the documents you sent to my address.

My request for this matter to be investigated under the Fraud Act 2006 has been accepted and enquiries are today commencing.
    Yours faithfully,

Mr XXXXXXXX

Best wishes everyone, (except Mack H of course)

Dougal

Sorry it's a bit lengthy...but does anyone have any comments? All I can say it it seems to have had the required effect!

Comment

Oh my word!!!!! Thank you all so much for all your help! You know one of the reasons we stopped the IVA was we started off by paying £300 PCM , I was very dubious about it as they said after 5 years that would be all done ???? I found it hard to believe, but as the first year was coming to an end they said the payments would go up to £500 PCM ,which we couldn't afford. The other thing was they didn't tell us that they were paying it annually, so in between time we were still getting threats from DCA and calls ! So it was still as stressful as before we went with them! Thing is the other DCA have gone quiet at the moment but in sure it won't be long before it starts again! Mack hall called again yesterday, but the funny thing is when they first called and I answered they were asking for me and my husband . Although I have followed all your advice and when they called yesterday they left a voice mail but this time just for my husband ??????? But they must be a bit thick as they are still ringing my mobile for him! I actually laughed to myself !! So if what you guys are is right in which I don't doubt any of you for second most, if not all these debts are dead?? If that's the case i will send them all the letter that has been quoted from Dougal and see what happens! I can't believe we paid all that money to that stupid IVA, oh well you live and learn !

Comment

Read this - link - for inspiration.

Comment

I have just read that I have actually been belly laughing how funny ! My dad made me laugh, he said he had a DCA after him for two mobiles he never had! He said they kept calling as they do and sending threats by letter! One day they called and dad said sorry mate I think it's my old dad your after and he is ill in bed! Dc said well if he can't come to the phone we will have to take him to court! Dad said yes please do! A few days later dad got a letter which was moody court papers, the same day dc called again and asked "did your dad receive the court papers " dad said " yes he did and he is very happy to have a day out but he would like to know what time you are picking him up and are you supplying lunch or should he bring sandwiches ???? DC hung up and dad has never heard anything again !!

Comment

Originally posted by Rie1234 View Post
            Oh my word!!!!! Thank you all so much for all your help! You know one of the reasons we stopped the IVA was we started off by paying £300 PCM , I was very dubious about it as they said after 5 years that would be all done ???? I found it hard to believe, but as the first year was coming to an end they said the payments would go up to £500 PCM ,which we couldn't afford. The other thing was they didn't tell us that they were paying it annually, so in between time we were still getting threats from DCA and calls ! So it was still as stressful as before we went with them! Thing is the other DCA have gone quiet at the moment but in sure it won't be long before it starts again! Mack hall called again yesterday, but the funny thing is when they first called and I answered they were asking for me and my husband . Although I have followed all your advice and when they called yesterday they left a voice mail but this time just for my husband ??????? But they must be a bit thick as they are still ringing my mobile for him! I actually laughed to myself !! So if what you guys are is right in which I don't doubt any of you for second most, if not all these debts are dead?? If that's the case i will send them all the letter that has been quoted from Dougal and see what happens! I can't believe we paid all that money to that stupid IVA, oh well you live and learn !
            I would definitely complain against the IVA outfit you were using, they shouldn't have set up an IVA to repay Statute Barred debts! :rant: :rant: :rant:

They did it because they were after the fees, a good chunk of the money paid into an IVA goes towards admin fees. An IVA is also a form of insolvency, unlike a DMP, which is just a way to manage your debts. There's a lot of misinformation out there.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X