• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

TV license officer visit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV license officer visit

Not sure, they stopped sending the texts but I just couldn't afford to pay for a couple of months anyway.

Comment

Which bears out their title of "The Cock-Up Kings". You say you were paying increased payments on some months, so the overpayments should have levelled things out. If Capital/TVL agreed to send you these texts and you agreed to accept them and they stopped them, they are at fault. Sending round their goons is completely out of order.

If the goons who visited you mentioned anything about prosecution, by law, they have to disclose all and any evidence they intend to rely on.

Pursue this matter with the Operations Director at TVL asap. It sounds like Capita have, indeed, cocked-up.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thank you again. I will be sending my complaint letter off tomorrow and have requested everything TVL have on file for me including any evidence they intend to use against me.

Will keep you updated.

Comment

Originally posted by smartgirl View Post
          Thank you again. I will be sending my complaint letter off tomorrow and have requested everything TVL have on file for me including any evidence they intend to use against me.

Will keep you updated.
          I would be very surprised if what Capita have on you does not reveal a cock-up on their part. In your letter, mention their obligation under the Disclosure Requirements of the Criminal Procedures Rules 2011. Their reaction to that is likely to be, "Bloody hell. How does a member of the public know about that?" The fact is, Capita rely on ordinary people not knowing the law and it does unsettle them somewhat, poor dears, when someone quotes legislation and sends them running to the nearest chemist shop for industrial-strength Imodium Plus capsules.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your problems and I hope it all goes well.

For anyone else who may have problems paying their licence might I suggest removing TVLA's implied right of access Full details here - http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Withhold...f%20access.htm

Fpor many years I have only used my TV to watch DVD's. Unfortunately as there inspector/gopher does not now have the right to walk up my path they cannot check this so leave me alone.

Details for TVLA themselves agreeing wit this can be found here.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/f...m-part-2-AB20/

Comment

Smartgirl. Forgive my entering this thread at this late stage but I'd just like to clarify one point with you.

Did you set-up a monthly direct debit with TVL to pay for your present and future license? If so then the first six months payments would be set at £24.50 (near as i can remember), thereafter each monthly payment is £12.25. You would therfore be paying for the license on a rolling contract. This means you would in effect be paying six months in advance for the first six months and never be behind with the licence thereafter. We buy our licence in the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by cankster View Post
                sorry to hear about your problems and i hope it all goes well.

For anyone else who may have problems paying their licence might i suggest removing tvla's implied right of access full details here - http://www.bbctvlicence.com/withhold...f%20access.htm

fpor many years i have only used my tv to watch dvd's. Unfortunately as there inspector/gopher does not now have the right to walk up my path they cannot check this so leave me alone.

Details for tvla themselves agreeing wit this can be found here.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/f...m-part-2-ab20/
                no disrespect intended cankster but please keep the freeman stuff to yourself. I respect you beliefs and opinions but freeman has caused a lot of people grief with inaccurate information and they have been well and truly slapped in the courts, to deny some one right of access is contained under civil law by tort of trespass, not freeman jurisdiction, or contract law, with respect, thank you
                Last edited by miliitant; 17th November 2012, 19:47:PM.

Comment

Militant no disrespect intended back but the information is taken direct from the TVLA's own website/FAQ's -

What happens when the implied right of access relied upon by enquiry officers to visit premises is withdrawn by the occupant? When a person withdraws the implied right of access to TV Licensing, this is honoured. A flag is placed against the address on the TV Licensing database, which prevents any further visits being scheduled.
                  TV Licensing reserves the right to make periodic written enquiries in situations where an implied right of access has been withdrawn in order to ascertain whether circumstances remain the same. For example, if the person who withdrew the right of access has moved. We also reserve the right to use other forms of enquiry (e.g. detection equipment and search warrants).

Ergo if they are honouring this it can be of use to others.

I agree with your views on freeman stuff in general (fastest way to a CCj i am aware of) but in this case I consider it of use.

Comment

Originally posted by alsagerman View Post
                    Smartgirl. Forgive my entering this thread at this late stage but I'd just like to clarify one point with you.

Did you set-up a monthly direct debit with TVL to pay for your present and future license? If so then the first six months payments would be set at £24.50 (near as i can remember), thereafter each monthly payment is £12.25. You would therfore be paying for the license on a rolling contract. This means you would in effect be paying six months in advance for the first six months and never be behind with the licence thereafter. We buy our licence in the same way.
                    That's how I pay for mine and, I believe, so do a lot of people.

Comment

Going back a few years when I had serious debt problems I was caught twice without a TV licence by a TVL person knocking on my door. To put your mind at rest I was never prosecuted. As long as you contact them and sort out your payments and bring it up to date it's not likely you will be prosecuted.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                        I would be very surprised if what Capita have on you does not reveal a cock-up on their part. In your letter, mention their obligation under the Disclosure Requirements of the Criminal Procedures Rules 2011. Their reaction to that is likely to be, "Bloody hell. How does a member of the public know about that?" The fact is, Capita rely on ordinary people not knowing the law and it does unsettle them somewhat, poor dears, when someone quotes legislation and sends them running to the nearest chemist shop for industrial-strength Imodium Plus capsules.
                        Unfortunately I sent the letter off prior to reading your reply but will definitely use this in my next letter If I'm not happy with the response. I'm guessing I will have to write again as they will probably try and fob me off.

I cannot tell you how much pleasure it would give me to send them running to the nearest chemist! I'm so appalled at the treatment and I will definitely not let this go.

Comment

Originally posted by cankster View Post
                          Sorry to hear about your problems and I hope it all goes well.

For anyone else who may have problems paying their licence might I suggest removing TVLA's implied right of access Full details here - http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Withhold...f%20access.htm

Fpor many years I have only used my TV to watch DVD's. Unfortunately as there inspector/gopher does not now have the right to walk up my path they cannot check this so leave me alone.

Details for TVLA themselves agreeing wit this can be found here.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/f...m-part-2-AB20/
                          Thank you Cankster. I so wish I had known I could remove TVL from right of access before I had one of the Gestapo visiting me!

Comment

Originally posted by stevread1 View Post
                            Going back a few years when I had serious debt problems I was caught twice without a TV license by a TVL person knocking on my door. To put your mind at rest I was never prosecuted. As long as you contact them and sort out your payments and bring it up to date it's not likely you will be prosecuted.
                            Thanks for your input and reassurance. It's really helpful knowing what others have gone through. Thing is that in theory I did have a license. I had actually paid £121 towards the license since January this year so this should have taken me up to January next year. I have paid to date £169 and I still don't get their logic behind cancelling my license. They are a law unto themselves and I will NOT let them get away with it. Does anyone get their logic? Its theft! People should question what they have paid towards their license over the last few years. I will definitely be looking into this further.

Comment

Originally posted by alsagerman View Post

Yes, this is how I was paying for mine - six months in advance but because I had fallen behind on two payments they decided to cancel it in July this year. So I had paid them £121 for a license that ran from January to July this year. When I renewed the license last week they told me the new one would be starting from July. Does this make any sense?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X