• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Welcome Finance /Invalid 'Dodgy' Default Notice /

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Finance /Invalid 'Dodgy' Default Notice /

Hi
    This is a bit of a long story so thanks to anyone who gets to the end and can help with their comments.

In August 2007 I took out a credit agreement for the purchase of a car through Welcome Finance for approx. £20,000 (including PPI, shortfall, initial loan etc.).

In November 2008 my contract expired (up until this point I was up to date with all of my payments) and so in January 2009 I requested to invoke the PPI cover. At this time I was told that, as I was a contractor, this would not apply to me so therefore I cancelled it in Jan 2009 (which would provide a rebate of £850). At this time I then took out a personal loan with them in Jan 2009 for a period of 4 years. – This has been paid back in full 1 year early and is now cleared.

In May 2009 I voluntary terminated the agreement at which point I received a letter stating that ‘Following termination of the agreement, your liability is £3300 of which £1000 arrears + £2300 for PPI insurance. Please note that this letter states that ‘Following termination of the agreement’
    4 days after receiving the liability letter I then received a letter stating that they were the legal owners and that all ‘notices under section 87(1) of the consumer credit act had been served’. I assumed that this was just for their collection agents and did nothing waiting for them to collect the car. After reading up more on this section I thought that this was to do with default notices so that they can enforce full collection of the amount and the goods but as you can see there was no DN issued at this time and the account was fairly up to date with no late markers or any other letters. I also noticed that the PPI insurance had not been cancelled as I requested in Jan 2009 and the rebate on this had reduced to £740.

In mid-September 2009 I then started to get visits and calls from the local branch chasing collection of the liability. This was approx. £1000 when I voluntary terminated the agreement this was now £1600 so it seems that they did not cancel the agreement and were applying the same monthly charges as before the agreement was terminated. (I didn’t think that they could reinitiate the agreement after they have sent a letter accepting termination). I then received another home visit at the end of September asking for approx. £1600+. I then received another home visit from their collection agent in October 2009 where the amount was now £2000 – the initial outstanding plus that month’s payment. I then received another one in December 2009 for near £3000.

In between these vests I received a Default Notice in November 2009, stating that I had to clear the outstanding balance within 14 days. This also showed a rebate on the PPI which was now even further reduced from the rebate that I should have received of £850 and was now £400.
    In a separate letter they have indicated that they issued another Default Notice in Feb 2010 but I know nothing of this so have requested the details of this.
    In March 2010 I received another Default Notice with an even further reduced amount of the PPI rebate which was now £200 continuing to show that the PPI was still in effect at this time and almost £650 less than it should have been.

In March 2010 I then started to receive letters from DCA’s (which I then assumed meant that the account had been terminated form their side). These went on until Nov 2011 with veiled threats of doorstep visits, court action, attachment of earnings etc. But nothing materialised. I did contact each of them and ask that they initiate Court Proceedings against me just so that I could put forward my version of events, but sadly nothing.
    During all of this time I was writing letters to them asking to collect the vehicle and why they had issued a Default Notice against me and was told that it was my fault that they had not collected the vehicle as they were unable to contact me (dismissible as I have letters which in fact state that they have attempted to collect the liability and not the vehicle) which is even more unbelievable as in the time that they said that they were unable to contact me, I was in regular contact with the same branch making accelerated payments on the loan to pay that off quicker so it makes a mockery of them saying that them could not contact me.

When I did speak to someone after the Default Notice I was told that I could not voluntary terminate the agreement but could surrender the vehicle but that I would have to pay the full amount outstanding. When I contested that they never attempted to collect it they said they did and the law was on their side as they had it noted that they sent out letters. I said that these letters were cash collection letters and no one contacted me about the car but it was useless.

I then wrote another letter complaining that about their various practices and requesting information as to why they had failed to collect the vehicle and all of the other issues listed above.

As expected they replied dismissing most of my claims. However one of the notable sections of their response was a section where they had stated that they had re-examined my account and have reimbursed £140~ of which £100+ they admitted in their own words are 'reimbursement of fees that they have deemed to be unjustified ' and £40 of the fees that are over £12 that the OfT considers to be justified.

I should also add that in Sept 2009 Welcome started to mark my Credit Record with payments late even though it was going through voluntary termination and to this date even though the agreement has ended they still mark it as 6 months.

I am not trying to get out what I owe, I took out an agreement knowing full well what the terms were and I understand I have a responsibility to repay according to the agreement.

What I am unsure about and can’t believe that they can get away is that they have failed to collect the car, are unable to produce any evidence as such and I am in the position where my excellent credit record has been trashed, it seems that if you voluntary terminate the agreement, they can refuse to collect issue a Default Notice and then you are stuck and there is no law to stop them doing this.

So I would like any advice as to what I can do, I believe there are some case laws regarding defective default notices etc. or even how to get Welcome to acknowledge that they have failed to carry out their duty whilst I suffer the consequence.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Welcome Finance /Invalid 'Dodgy' Default Notice /

you need to send welcome a subject access request for all the data they hold on you. within the bundle you get back will be call logs that will support what you have stated

do not tip them off why you want this data,

Comment

If they have not made any attempt to collect the vehicle and re-sell it to reduce any alleged losses, they may find it difficult to convince a judge they have acted within the law. They are required to mitigate any alleged losses as much as possible. Not collecting the vehicle is failure to mitigate losses. The relevant case law is Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co. Ltd -v- New Garage and Motor Co. Ltd 1915.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

the problem with welcome will be that they will state you voluntary surrendered the vehicle, not voluntary terminated. but considering you still have the vehicle, how could you have voluntary surrendered

you need things in writing, the call logs will give you that, but will cost you £10 for the privilege via a subject access request

Data Protection Compliance Manager
        Welcome Financial Services
        KINGSTON HOUSE
        CENTRE 27 BUSINESS PARK
        WOODHEAD ROAD
        BIRSTALL
        BATLEY
        WF17 9TD

REMEMBER THE £10 POSTAL ORDER AND SEND RECORDED DELIVERY

GOOD HUNTING

[your address]

[their address]

[DATE]

Data Protection Act 1998

Dear Sir/Madam

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx (or multiple numbers if more than one account)

Please supply me with copies of all the data which you hold on me in relation to my business with yourselves.
        Please note that I require disclosure of any personal data which you hold on me for the entire period of my business with you.
        The Subject Access is not limited to my transaction history and it is not linited merely to 6 years of historical information.

Additionally, where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff, or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my financial business with you.

I require all information on details of all insurance products supplied by welcome financial services. This is to include the statement of means, statement of price, details of all insurance premium tax paid, and underwriting sheets.

If you are unable to supply this data because there has been no such manual intervention, then please be so kind as to confirm this in your response.

If you intend to send a reconstituted copy of an agreement you must declare the reason why it has been reconstituted and if the original exists, the type of filing system or archive the originals are stored on.

If it is the case that any of the requested documents can not be supplied because they have been destroyed,please indicate;

1.The date the document (s) was/were destroyed.

2.The method used for destruction.

3.The position of the individual/individuals tasked with destruction.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply. Furthermore, if I discover that you have levied disproportionate penalties or charges which are invalid under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations against me, then I shall be reclaiming them together with any interest charges which you have levied on them.
        As it is your wrongdoing and mishandling of my account which has created the necessity for this Subject access request, I shall also be reclaiming the enclosed £10 Data Protection Act subject access request fee.

If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.
        I would be happy to collect the Data from my local branch.

Yours faithfully,

***dont forget not to sign, send £10 postal order, send recorded, keep proof of postage***

Comment

Hi

Forgive me for playing devils advocate.
          You voluntarily terminated your car in may 2009, can i ask what has happened to the car since then, has it been in use, taxed? sorn? has it been MOT'd, in short have you been using the vehicle.

It should be remembered that their is nothing in the cca that says they must collect the vehicle, just that they must make provision for the vehicle to be returned.

If the car has been kept in use since the VT i think it unlikely that a court would accept that it was terminated by you and more likely to accept that it was terminated by the creditor.

D

Comment

sorry millitant crossed post

Comment

Hi davyb / militant

Thanks for the replies. After I VT'd the car (due to loss of license for 1 year - speeding) the car was taxed and mot'd and insured for the year whilst it sat on my drive. For the past 2 years it has remained on the drive housing a family of spiders. The vehicle is untaxed, no not and no insurance and into the second year of the SORN.

I have received the SAR a while ago and tried to correlate the entries on that with the actual goings on.

What I am confused about after researching (Googling) are the following points.

i) After I VT'd the car and received the letter of liability, this was immediately followed by another letter stating that all notices has been sent under Section 87(1) of the CCA and that the car was to be repossessed etc etc. I take it that this is where they have to issue a DN to have rights back over the goods? Up until this time no DN was issued and there was no record on the SAR. In fact in a response from them it stated the DN was issued approx. 7 months later so I am unsure as to why this notice has been issued, I am thinking that it was done so that I could not VT the car and they could claim the full liability.

ii) I also understand that if a Section 87(1) is issued then it brings an end to the agreement, I also have another letter where they start off with 'Following termination of the agreement....' with the liabilities in response to the VT request. My issue with the collection of the vehicle is that their agent was visiting me and delivering letters stating that the account was in arrears and that it needed to be bought upto date. When I informed him that the vehicle had been VT'd he ignored that and said the agreement still stood (my word vs. theirs). I received a total of 4 visits and on each of the letters delivered the amount was increasing by the previous monthly amount. I have never had, and their is no record on the SAR, any demand for the liabilities under the VT. So when I queried why the vehicle had not been collected, their response was that they had dropped off letters and tried to call to collect it, to which I replied that the only times that they visited me was to continue pursuing payments on the terminated agreement. Bite me was the gist of that conversation from them.

iii) If the agreement has been terminated with the outstanding liabilities, and not the full amount, how are they able to reinstate the agreement, issue a DN against this and then chase for the full amount? Even if I was avoiding paying them, would they not have to chase me for the outstanding balance rather than the full amount, and would they not have surely instigated an enforcement action to collect the vehicle and the outstanding monies? Once the agreement is terminated can they continue to show late markers on my credit record as they have been marking it as 6 months late for the past 3 years.

iv) Its shown quite categorically that despite me cancelling the PPI, this request was ignored. Also they have confessed in writing that they have applied unjustified charges to my account over the duration of it (more fool them). Since these two items would impact the outstanding amount on the DN, does this make it invalid also and therefore would this also constitute termination of the agreement? The combined amount is approx. £450 out of the DN notice of £2000. The DN also is based on the agreement enduring past the time that the VT was completed. If the DN is incorrect then can I have this removed as the amount is incorrect?

v) Why don't they take enforcement action against me? It has been 3 years and despite all the letters that I have sent them, there is a bland response that I need to pay now or else.....

Comment

Hi
                The simple facts are that if you terminate the agreement, then all you are liable for is half the value of the agreement. If they terminate it they are entitled to all sums under the agreement.

A section 87 notice would not be issued at any time during a VT, DN's are only issued upon default when the creditor wishes to reclaim all sums under the agreement.

The only way a VT can work for them is if the car has a good resale value. Usually due to the fact that they rip the poor owner off when he bought the car it hasn't.

This is why we love VT's and dealers petitioned parliament last year to try and get it removed.

Has the car any resale value?

D

Comment

Hi D

Thanks for the info.

So just to clarify (I am going to be sending WFS a strong letter on Monday).

I terminated the agreement in Mid June 2009 with an outstanding liability of ~£3000 (£2000 PPI, £1000 arrears [which included other items such as unjustified fees, overcharges and that months payment]). The agreement has ended, the most they can chase me for is the ~£3000 and there is no way that they can reinstate the agreement, pass to DCA's for the full amount, issue DN's etc.

4 days later they issue a notice stating that they have satisfied all the requirements under section 87(1) and are claiming the goods back which allows them to chase the full liability (crock of horse....). No DN received etc, and so this seems to be a tactic to force me to pay the full amount.

They now chase me for the full liability even though the agreement has been terminated and they have acknowledged this and therefore the most that they can chase me for is the amount upto 50% and there is no way that they can chase me for the full liability irrespective of the reasons for not collecting the car.

The agreement has ended so the continuing markers on my credit file are an inaccurate reflection and I can nail them to the wall for it and therefore the DN's don't apply and I can have them removed from my account.

I know that you you have posted on other users questions and have answered me pretty comprehensively but not being aware fully I want to double check before I give them both barrels next week.

The most critical thing(s) for me is to get the DN's and negative marks removed from my CR, as well as getting WFS to admit that they have reinstated the agreement despite it being terminated (its just occurred to me that if they have sent me a letter immediately after I VT'd stating the Section 87(1) story, then the agreement was terminated by them and yet for 8 months they continued to press me to bring the account upto date). Can you think of anyway that they can reinstate the agreement without my acceptance after I VT (taking into consideration their line that they could not collect the car - does this affect the VT and would this be a reason to cancel the VTY request and therefore reinstate the agreement).

Thanks and it is appreciated.

Comment

Hi
                    Your biggest hurdle will be convincing the court that the VT was legitimate.
                    It does not matter what was or was not owed on the agrement when you terminated but what may be a problem would be that the vehicle was not returned.
                    You will have to argue that you made every attempt to return it but they stopped you from doing so.
                    This is no easy task the court may ask why after so long the car was still in your possession.

D

Comment

If the creditor has made it difficult for the debtor to return a vehicle or, simply, not bothered to collect the vehicle, it could be argued the creditor was not doing anything to mitigate any alleged losses and by failing to collect the vehicle and/or make it difficult for the debtor to return the vehicle by failing to inform the debtor of any point of return, it could also be argued that the creditor abandoned the vehicle.
                      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I was involved in one of these a few years ago on another forum, the debtor terminated and the creditor would only accept the vehicle f it were driven to the head office in Blackpool, he lived in Southampton.

The debtor with our help kept a diary of letters sent to the creditor stating that the car was on his drive and he would return it if they would provide a reasonable drop off point, they kept saying that he had to make the trip or the VT was not legitimate. He ended up charging them storage.
                        They eventually picked the car up, as usual the thread stopped so we didn't find out what happened subsequently.
                        But the secret to success in these things is to keep records of events and have a visible paper trail so that you can prove your contentions in court.

D

Comment

Hi D

Thanks again for the information.

With me, as I VT'd, they continued to insist that the agreement was valid and hence continued to send me letters and visit me on the premise that the the agreement was still in force. This I think that I can convincingly prove by the virtue of the letters with ever increasing amounts with match the amount of the monthly amount of the agreement. These letters and visits started a few weeks after the VT, so I'm hoping that if it did go to court they would have a hard time proving that they attempted to collect the vehicle considering they did not act upon the VT. I have kept all correspondence between ourselves and there is no record or attempt to collect the vehicle, nor have they informed me on how to return (also I could not drive it anyway). There is a record on the SAR that I rang to enquire about the status of the VT and why it was not collected and the response was that they had issued a DN hence I could not. If a Court asked me why the car was still in my possession I would point this out that if I did return the car they would consider it a voluntarily surrender and make me liable for the full amount, luckily I have that on the SAR,

I am also hoping that the letter that they sent 4 days after the VT, them sending me a Section 87(1) notice (without a DN or any indication as to any breach) enforces the claim that they had no intention of honouring my VT request.

If they have failed to collect the car, will the VT become illegitimate and does the agreement endure and can they continue marking my credit file negatively?

I will post up a letter that I am going to send them later this week to get feedback if it covers all of the bases.

Cheers

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X