• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HBOS/HL Solicitors chasing for mortgage shortfall plus costs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBOS/HL Solicitors chasing for mortgage shortfall plus costs

Good morning.
    I received a lovely letter from a company called HL solicitors last saturday. This company are chasing me for a shortfall on a house that we handed back to HBOS, due to a breakdown in a marriage. They are chasing me for a shortfall of around 23000 pounds. Back in May, I sent them a letter requesting an SAR, but worded in such a way that I wasn't actually requesting it, and so didn't have to pay for it. I understand that they have 8 weeks to respond to such a request, however it was yesterday that they responded with, and I quote from the letter.......

"We refer to the above and to your letter received on 1 May 2012.
    We apologise for the delay in obtaining this information. The reason for this is due to a relocation of our client from one office to another."

This is the good bit............

"We have today chase them for this information again and will endeavour to write to you as soon as we obtain this information."

For a company that call themselves solicitors, I would have expected somewhat better use of english!!!

Now, I spoke to that National Debt Advice line yesterday, and they advised me to send a letter from the website, which tells them that they don't have to chase a shortfall from a Repo unless it is viable. In this case, it isn't. So the letter basically asks them to write the debt off, as you can't get blood out of a stone. We have no assets, and nowt to give them. Lets face it, who does just have 23 large lying around doing nothing??

Where do I stand in the eyes of the law, bearing in mind it's taken them what, 4 months to send me this letter, especially when they should have got back in touch within 8 weeks??

If I send this letter, am I admitting responsibility for the debt?? The last letter I sent, categorically denied responsibility for the debt.

As far as I am aware, this company are a scavenge debt company that buy bad ones from other DCA's that have had no joy, in this case, the debt has been bought from DLC (Direct Legal Collections in Brackley, they're particularly inept at keeping paperwork, allegedly). DLC also have a VERY bad reputation for bullying and badgering people for more money. When we were first caught up with for this debt, we were paying a fiver a month. Over the space of 3 months, they'd bullied my wife into paying 35 squidaroonies a month. They'd tried ringing me, I just told them to sod off, but they would be quite threatening to my wife, and she'd pay up more each time. We've not paid a thing off the debt since mid 2009.
    I just need some advice as to where we stand in the eyes of the law. Is it worth taking it to some kind of independent ombudsman??
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X