• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax - Getting Harrassed by the sheriff officers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax - Getting Harrassed by the sheriff officers

Hi,

This is driving me to despair.

We have outstanding council tax debt that was passed to George Walker and company (sherrif officers). At one point we were getting 12 letters a week threatening all the usual things, even though at the time we were paying them £150 a month. I called them and they told me that £150 was not enough and they wanted at least double that. I explained that I could not afford that as I have 3 young children (1 of them under 2 years old). Also my wife has Multiple Sclerosis and is disabled and incapable of working. Fortunately they were happy then to reduce the payments to £100 a month (still a lot out of my rubbish salary) Unfortunately I also took ill in January this year, and after a long and stressful time was diagnosed as having Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue syndrome. I have not worked since January this year due to this and my employer has paid me off on capability grounds. Not too major an issue as im also my wife's carer 24/7. Which is difficult with my own condition. I went to the CAB and gave all my details and income etc and the lady contacted the sheriff officers early this year. They agreed that they would accept £3 per week due to my income (which was SSP and Tax Credits). i have never missed a payment since! then last night a woman called me and told me that they have no record of any such agreement being set up! She informed me that i will have to fill out another income/expenditure sheet and send it into them. She then caused me serious alarm by saying that she couldnt guarantee they wont take further action before I enter a proper agreement with them. What is worrying me is that they freeze my account in the next few days, as I have some money in the account that we have saved up for the kids christmas, Its not a lot of money, but enough to get the kids a few bits and bobs for christmas and get some food for over the festive period without too much of a struggle. It has been saved using what benefits we get. It wouldnt even chip a hole in what we owe in council tax arrears. The annoying thing is we cant seem to get a statement from them or the council for the arrears and dont even know exactly how much we owe because they wont send us it. I am at my wits end. If they freeze my account christmas in our house will be cancelled. We havent had a holiday for years because of having to pay this shower of thugs every month. I feel that if they do this I have nothing more to live for as I couldnt even feed my kids. I dont know what to do, can anyone advise me Please!!
    Last edited by dezzie; 29th November 2007, 01:41:AM. Reason: forgot to put a sentence in.

Re: Council Tax - Getting Harrassed by the sheriff officers

Hi, first thing I would say is try not to panic, it wont do you any good. I know it's easy for me to say but it will only make you feel worst.

As far the rest, I don't think they can freeze your account without a court order which I doubt very much they would get due to your situation.
    If your worried, you could take the money out, that way you have control.
    Do you not have bank statements to show the payments have been made and to which account??
    There are ways you can get the statements you require but it could time.

Take a look here

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?t=3357

There are some useful links.

Comment

Dezzie, you must have some idea of what the arrears were to be begin with. You need to work out, albeit roughly, what you have paid and what you think you still owe.

Do you have any paperwork to back up the agreement to pay £3 a week?

Comment

Unfortunately, It is completely above my head, as they seem to be adding on years and years worth that im convince have been paid, however as the timeframe is so long ago I cannot prove this. I dont have anything in writing from George Walker, however im sure the lady that was dealing with it in the CAB had correspondance from them. I called the CAB today and the lady that deals with it informed me that this is a scare tactic to try and get more money from us. I used the spreadsheet from this site and we have £4.80 of disposable income after paying all the essentials. I've paid roundabout £2500 to George Walker, as well as paying to the local authority this years council tax (till I got a rebate through being in reciept of income support) So now Im paying £3 a week to George Walker and £5 a week to the council (water rates)

Im due a severance payment from my employer, and got a pay slip today and £228 has been deducted for wage arrestment from George Walker. If they take the rest from our bank account (when it goes into the bank) we are finished!

Comment

I thought George Walker would need a court order for wage arrestment???
          (scottish term for attachment of earnings??)

I know what I would do but probably not for the light hearted..........

Comment

ok..... if you wanna know..:rolleyes:

I would send a Subject Access Request to George Walker, your local council and CAB ( not to sure about CAB being a charitable organisation and all )

Get all the information they hold on you and match up all their statements against your bank statements, which you can get by send them an SAR.

We don't know how much you initially owed or owe now so it's difficult to comment but the only way are going to find that out is by sending those requests.

But they could take upto 40 days to arrive, and in the meantime pay only token payments or an amount you can comfortably afford. This may or may not spring them in to action in recovering the debts from you by way of court proceedings but depending on what information you get from them, could be your complete defense.

But thats just my opinion.

Comment

Hi Dezzie,

What a bunch of parasites they are, harrassing you as they are. Please take a read in these links and take action to stop their threats.
              http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...read.php?t=286

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ead.php?t=3368

As the Pheonix has said you need to find out all the details of what you owe by using SAR (subject access request) Letters. I also think they are treading on dangerous ground by demanding payments from benifits, please read in here.
              http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...t.php?f=64&a=6

Yoy need to act as fast as you can to insure they cannot carry on with their persecution of you and your family.Here is a link to the law on harrassment, use it, quote it in your corrispondances with the debt agency.
              http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1997/1997040.htm

Best wishes,
              Hod...Liam..
              Last edited by Happyolddog; 1st December 2007, 14:11:PM.
              Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

One good thing is that I managed to clear our account today, so they cant touch our savings now. I also get a carers benefit paid to me today and that was ok to withdraw too. Any other monies we have or get paid to our account are all benefits, so if they touch them I will not hesitate to pursue them. Ive requested a breakdown of all amounts that we allegedly owe, then I will be able to argue for any amounts that are wrong or have been paid

Comment

Hi Dezzie,

That's great news, a good start and good luck with everything from here on, Keep us posted on your progress and ask any questions you have as there are plenty of people on here that have had similar experiances and are willing to offer their advice.

Best wishes,
                  Hod...Liam..
                  Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Originally posted by dezzie View Post
                    One good thing is that I managed to clear our account today, so they cant touch our savings now. I also get a carers benefit paid to me today and that was ok to withdraw too. Any other monies we have or get paid to our account are all benefits, so if they touch them I will not hesitate to pursue them. Ive requested a breakdown of all amounts that we allegedly owe, then I will be able to argue for any amounts that are wrong or have been paid
                    Nice one, just one thing. I don't know how you were paying them ie debit card, Direct Debit etc. Just make sure you cancel the D/D as they will keep presenting it and you know what that will mean. You could do without more hassle. :cheers:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X