• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell - Arrrgh... Default/satisfied/default???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell - Arrrgh... Default/satisfied/default???

Hiya

Apologies if a thread similar to this has already been posted, i've been going through the threads but couldn't find one so far..

In 2009 I settled an old debt with Lowell - at the time of making the payment I was told this would be in full and final settlement of the amount owed (yeah I know.. old debt - should have left it.. now I know better!). However, its still showing as a default (albeit satisfied??) on my credit report. I've duly emailed Lowell with a request to remove the default, or at least give me an explanation as to why its still there but no response (surprise surprise...).

Any handy hints/tips/magic wands available here folks? Muchas gracias
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell - Arrrgh... Default/satisfied/default???

A default, satisfied or not, will stay on your credit file for a period of six years after the default (five in Scotland). They can to the best of my knowledge, only be removed if they were placed on your account without going through the correct procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by flipfinger View Post
      However, its still showing as a default (albeit satisfied??)
      That is what should be shown for a defaulted account that is then settled at a later date.

Originally posted by alsagerman View Post
      A default, satisfied or not, will stay on your credit file for a period of six years after the default (five in Scotland).
      6 in Scotland as well.

You are probably thinking of the 5 year limit for debts being statute barred in Scotland?

While that is different up there, defaults still remain for 6 years, the same as the rest of the UK.

Comment

Yes, it was the SB time limits i was getting mixed up with. Thanks for putting it straight.

Comment

Did you clearly state removal of said default in your F&F letter to them? If so, and crucially did you keep a copy?

Comment

Sadly, it was a phone conversation when I made the payment. Whilst I have a copy of my letter sent to them recently I realise that it won't help me much! No worries, it's more an annoyance than life threatening. Thanks loads for your help guys

Comment

Hi

They cannot agree to remove correctly entered notices anyway, against the law.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Peterbard View Post
                Hi

They cannot agree to remove correctly entered notices anyway, against the law.

Peter
                So can only the creditor who registered the default remove the notice? How does it work when a DCA has bought the alleged debt from a Creditor and you manage to get the original creditor to remove the default?

Comment

Hi
                  If a record of missed payments or default is placed on your file and it is correct, then no one should be able to remove it.
                  The purpose of the CRA is to give an accurate representation of the debtors credit history, the only way it should be removed is if it can be shown that should not have been there in the first place.
                  DCAs often say that they will remove markers if you pay, they don't they just mark them as settled, and they remain on your file for six years

Peter

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X