• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell and 3 mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell and 3 mobile

Apologies for needing help again. I have discovered why Lowell have been searching my credit file for over a year. It seems I have a 3 mobile debt of £54.81.

The annoying thing about this is that it is for a final month payment when I stopped a contract back in 2009. They should have taken it by direct debit but obviously didn't and this is the first i've heard of it.

The really, really annoying thing is that I have no paperwork left from this contract. I do know that I had to give one month notice and that I had already used my minimum contract time up yet they afre claiming an additional amount of £169.81 early termination fee. There should be no eraly termination fee as I was out of my minimum term and on a notice period of one month. All this was discussed with 3 when I cancelled the contract. Of course, I have nothing to prove this but it is the truth.

I'm nervious on two accounts. I had a letter recently from Link scamming to try and get confirmation that I live here by sending the friendly 'someone has applied for credit using your name' trick. It is a big coincidence that within a few weeks I now get this letter despite Lowell having searched my credit file every month for over a year. Why would they have done that and not contacted me a lot sooner? It's so odd. I am terrified of confirming to anyone that I live here, Lowell or Link. I really can't handle the hassle I had back when I did actually owe Link money. They used every trick in the book to harrass me and ultimately, I was one little person and they used to laugh down the phone at me. I despise them and their shoddy practises.

Anyway, deep breath, this is the very odd letter:

Contract no xxxxx
    Lowell Ref xxxxx
    Mobile number xxxxxx
    Balance Outstanding: Arrears £54.81 Early Termination Fee: £169.81*

We're contacrting you about your Three account which you started on 21/02/2008. There is an outstanding balance on your account and we've tried contacting you about this previously. You might not have heard from us for some time though, possibly becauise your address has changed from the one we have on our records. Please get in touch with us as soon as possible so that we can bring your account up to date. If you don't pay the outstanding balance within 20 days from the date of this letter, our debt purchasing partner (called Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd) will contact you to arrange payment directly with them.

To pay your outstanding balance before the deadline please call us on 0845 3550 480 between 9 and 5.30 mon to fri.

To discuss other payment options that may suit you better, you can contact Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd directly on 0113 308 6014 where they'll help you settle your account.

Finally, if you've paid the outstanding balance in the last 7 days, thanks and please ignore this letter.

Lots of love & hugs (I may have made this line up)
    Mike Elliot
    Head of Credit & Collections

* Your early termination fee is the total of all the outstanding monthly charges on your contract.

Sooooo. My issue is this. Who am I contacting? The headed paper is 3 mobile but the phone numbers are both Lowell. The address is for Three, Star House, 20 Grenfgell Road, Maidenhead, SL6 1EH and they have the Three website address on there. I called 3 seperately via their customer services and they told me 3 no longer held my account but confirmed the debt was only £54.81. Are Lowell deliberately making up high false amounts to shock people into calling in?

All very odd. Not sure what best to do as I really do not want them knowing I live here for sure when they have been searching my credit file for so long with no contact until now.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell and 3 mobile

Wait and see if they bother to write again then hit 'em with a simple Prove It.
    Sounds like Lowell have grabbed a whole bunch of old Three accounts recently and are being more than honest about them..

Comment

Ok. I am guessing they will wait the 20 days then contact me so they can legitimately pretend that 3 were the original people contacting me. I just hope they don't try and damage my credit file as I have spent the past 4 years re-building it.

Comment

Where you ever sent a default notice from Three over this matter ?
        If not then should be simple enough as Lowell will have nowt to update.

Comment

Not that I know of. I never realised the debt existed, as far as I knew i'd given the required notice period, cancelled the phone and paid the last month DD. Have checked my bak and the last month did go and I had deliberately not used it for that last month so I knew no charges would be on it and that ties in with the final payment being just the service charge.

If the horrid people were remotely trustworthy then i'd just call them to enquire and like to think they'd help sort this out but sadly they are unlikely to be remotely interested in actually solving the issue with anything other than my money in their coffers, owed or not.

I'm wondering if the account maybe had to be two months notice and not one but then the amount still doesn't work out right as my contract was only £32.

So, if they write again, I send them a letter asking them to prove that I owe any money?

I'm getting married in May so want these horrid debt people all off my back before then. I've been in horrible debt when I divorced and worked really hard to sort it all out then suddenly get hit by two alleged debts within a few weeks. It's easy to get angry but actually, they scare me. Not sure why but they treat you like you're scum of the earth. No wonder so many people run away from them.

Comment

Recieved this morning exactly the same letter again. Date differs on the top but other than that it is identical. Should I still ignore it?

Comment

As CB said, ignore the first one, and if they come back again, send the Prove It letter (post 4):

Dealing with DCA's - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Comment

Thank you

Comment

As predicted I had another lettter from them today. Odd they put my old payments to 3 mobile on a Lowell statement so it looks like I had been paying them which confused me. I've checked the DD dates and it looks like it is not my old mobile but an internet dongle that I had on a monthly contract. They are saying £170 odd is early termination fee which makes no sense.
                  I will send the 'prove it' letter. What makes absolutely no sense is that I had told 3 when I moved as my mobile was with them for a long time after the dongle was terminated, they could have contacted me at any time and never did.

Comment

Just ignore Lowells - they will huff & puff but thats about it.
                    Report them to the authorities if they keep harassing you.

Comment

I sent off the Prove it letter yesterday so will see what they do now. Waiting for the default on my credit file. Part of me wants to pay them just to avoid that as I have spent years re-building credit history and really hope to get a mortgage one day but just can't afford to pay them. Stupid bullies. I still feel the sense of panic when the letters come but thanks to this site, now I know how to handle them

Comment

Hi,

I am having the same issue with Lowell and a supposed 3 bill from a couple of years ago that I have no idea existed..

I sent them a 'prove it' template letter last week and have a reply today.

They are saying that the debt is mine, but all they have sent with the letter is a copy of 'Statement of Account' for a Lowells account, not from 3.

What should I reply to them with ?

Many Thanks

Comment

They put a statement in with my letter too. Again, from themselves but made to look like from Three.

Whatever you do don't call them. Maybe follow up with second letter including a copy of the first and confirming you want to see the original copy of the credit agreement?

Someone more knowledgeable will probably be along soon but I think that is what I would probably do. I am awaiting a reply but it has only been a few days. If you have already asked for the credit agreement and they sent just another statement then sounds like maybe they don't have it. Good luck, keep us posted on what happens as safety in numbers is good

I would highlight this section from your original letter and confirm that a statement from themselves does not comply with their legal obligations:

1. True copy of original signed executed credit agreement
                          2. FULL Statement of account
                          3. Copy of the executed deed of assignment from (original creditor) and (DCA)
                          4. A fair processing notice.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Comment

Mobile phone contracts are not covered by the CCA.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                              Mobile phone contracts are not covered by the CCA.
                              Neither are 'GYM' contracts!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X