• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Red/Lowell AGAIN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red/Lowell AGAIN

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
    You may have seen my post on other threads. The ICO is the best place to query suspected DPA violations. They are now a watchdog that has been given teeth that bite and a bite that hurts. As of 6 April 2010, the ICO can impose a Financial Penalty Notice (FPN) of up to £500K on any data controller/user breaching the DPA.

ICO has already hit two firms with FPNs of £40K and £60K, respectively. Remember, however, that a complaint in isolation isn't enough for ICO to hit a transgressor with a fine. They wait until they have a number of complaints about a data controller/user before hitting them.

Bombarding ICO with complaints about PPCs and DVLA is one wait to frustrate the activities of PPCs and stop DVLA "selling" motorists' personal data to these parasites.
    Thank you bluebottle. I hadn't seen your other posts but this is interesting information.

Comment

Originally posted by alsagerman View Post
      Thank you bluebottle. I hadn't seen your other posts but this is interesting information.
      Some years ago, not long after I had retired from the police force, a firm I had never heard of started bombarding me with unsolicited mail. When I telephoned the firm, they admitted they weren't even registered, as required by the DPA.

That was my cue to notify ICO, or Data Protection Registrar, as it was then. Within a matter of days, I had a telephone call from one of their Investigation Officers, who happened to be ex-police like myself. He took a Statement of Complaint from me and that's the last I heard of it for two weeks. Then I received a call from the Investigation Officer to say they had executed a magistrates' warrant under the DPA and seized the firm's software and hardware, which was subsequently ordered, by the courts, to be forfeited and destroyed.

Believe me, the ICO has some AWESOME powers - and ICO isn't afraid to use them. They really do look after the little guy, even though it may not seem that way to start with.

Here are a few organisations who have p****d-off the ICO and been hit with FPNs -

22/11/10 - A4E: £60K; Hertfordshire County Council: £100K
      8/2/11 - Ealing Council: £80K; Hounslow Council: £70K
      10/5/11 - ACS Law: £1K
      9/6/11 - Surrey County Council: £120K
      28/11/11 - North Somerset Council: £60K; Worcestershire County Council: £80K
      6/12/11 - Powys County Council: £130K
      30/1/12 - Midlothian Council: £140K
      Last edited by bluebottle; 3rd February 2012, 23:59:PM.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

annoying that ACS ONLY GOT HIT WITH A 1K FINE..)

xx

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
          Outrageous, this firm is running roughshod over the OFT guidelines on debt collection!

When are the OFT going to clip their wings?
          OFT subscribe to the policy "give them plenty of rope to hang themselves with". OFCOM have the same policy with telecom operators and ICO with DPA infringements. Once enough complaints are received to trigger enforcement action, it is taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
            annoying that ACS ONLY GOT HIT WITH A 1K FINE..
            That was because Andrew Crossley pleaded poverty - link:
            "Were it not for the fact that ACS:Law has ceased trading so that Mr Crossley now has limited means, a monetary penalty of £200,000 would have been imposed, given the severity of the breach."

Comment

OFT subscribe to the policy "give them plenty of rope to hang themselves with". OFCOM have the same policy with telecom operators and ICO with DPA infringements. Once enough complaints are received to trigger enforcement action, it is taken.

That is the key:
              once enough complaints are received!

Consumers really must complain en masse about these firms, if they want something done.

In an ideal world, 30-50 complaints need to be sent off at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                annoying that ACS ONLY GOT HIT WITH A 1K FINE..)

xx
                It wasn't ACS the business that go hit with the fine. It was a PERSONAL fine on the person who ran ACS Law. The ICO has to take account of a person or business's ability to pay a fine before deciding how much to fine them.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
                  That is the key:
                  once enough complaints are received!

Consumers really must complain en masse about these firms, if they want something done.

In an ideal world, 30-50 complaints need to be sent off at the same time.
                  Sometimes, it doesn't take that many complaints to trigger enforcement action. If the nature of complaints are serious enough to warrant immediate or prompt action, OFT can move remarkably swiftly, with the assistance of local Trading Standards Departments.

Since Consumer Direct came into existence, consumer protection enforcement is a lot more co-ordinated. A wrong 'un can be spotted quickly and action taken.

Remember, when you ring Consumer Direct, your complaint is emailed to your local Trading Standards Department within 1-2 hours, at the most, of you lodging your complaint and, also, to OFT HQ, in London, where they collate complaints and watch for patterns of complaints and consumer protection issues, noting WHERE they are and WHO is responsible for them. If the circumstances warrant it, OFT can get local TSOs (Trading Standards Officers) to deal with issues fairly quickly.

Comment

Sometimes, it doesn't take that many complaints to trigger enforcement action. If the nature of complaints are serious enough to warrant immediate or prompt action, OFT can move remarkably swiftly, with the assistance of local Trading Standards Departments.

Since Consumer Direct came into existence, consumer protection enforcement is a lot more co-ordinated. A wrong 'un can be spotted quickly and action taken.

Remember, when you ring Consumer Direct, your complaint is emailed to your local Trading Standards Department within 1-2 hours, at the most, of you lodging your complaint and, also, to OFT HQ, in London, where they collate complaints and watch for patterns of complaints and consumer protection issues, noting WHERE they are and WHO is responsible for them. If the circumstances warrant it, OFT can get local TSOs (Trading Standards Officers) to deal with issues fairly quickly.
                    In an ideal world, that is what should happen!
                    But in reality, it doesn't happen!

The OFT is a painfully inefficient slow moving machine that is run by civil servants who given their orders from above (and I don not mean heaven)

Much work went into getting the OFT to impose 'Requirements' on Link Financial Limited. Approximately 30-50 Link Financial victims sent off complaints to their local TS and the OFT. This was not without difficulty, as both local TS offices in Caerphilly and Lambeth (the home authorities) were far from helpful...

It is an uphill battle to gain any justice in relation to bad business practices employed by DCA's.

However, faint heart never won battle:beagle::beagle::beagle:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X