• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What is the legal situation with Door step visits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the legal situation with Door step visits?

Hi All,

It's been quite a while since my last vist (was threatened with being made insolvent by capquest nothing came of it and heard nothing since, debt is now statute barred).

Out of the blue I've had a handwritten postcard put through my letter box from a door step collector (for a debt I have never acknowledged).

From what I have read, a DCA cannot visit you without an appointment, you can quote things like the only visitors allowed are the postman and someone asking for directions etc.

I have read other forums where standard letters are sent and the DCA tries to get around it by saying they are offering a chance to talk about the debt etc. etc.

Can anyone tell me what the law or OFT say about door step collectors, what is the current legislation, what is the best way to deal with them?

Any help would be appreciated!
    Tags: None

Re: What is the legal situation with Door step visits?

Is this doorstep collector trying to collect on behalf of capquest?

Comment

The following legislation makes the law clear:

"There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.)."

It is case law, so no matter what their intention of their visit it, if they come onto your property without your permission or without you agreeing to any appointment for them to visit you at home, then as far as the law is concerned they are indeed committing an act of tort of trespass.

Off course this depends if it is a civil debt or whether it is a baliff attempting to enforce a court warrant etc. Though given its capquest i bet it's just a civil debt

Also if this is the same debt that is statute barred the limitations act 1980 prevents them form enforcing such debt, and also their attempt to collect on a statuted barred debt is a clear breach of office of fair trading debt collection guidelines and you should report them immediately to the OFT.
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
        The following legislation makes the law clear:

"There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able......... of fair trading debt collection guidelines and you should report them immediately to the OFT.
        When I won against CapQuest, they had already sent various letters to me threatening door step visits (despite the fact that I live in Taiwan), so I told them I hoped they had a valid passport and lots of money for return flights.

I called the woman, Anne McShane, who had conned me out of paying peppercorn payments to CapQuest before I had realised that due to a prior dispute with the OC (Egg took the case to the county court and lost-the case was set aside), I didn't owe CapQuest anything.

So I emailed her accepting the doorstep visit referred to in her "threatograms". I told her that one night the following week, my own "doorstep collector" would visit her house to recover the money that she had conned me out of. I asked her what time would be convenient but she went all sort of quiet.

It's funny how the bullies go quiet when the tables are turned, isn't it? In fact, she even had her direct dial number changed, as apparently she was getting lots of nuisance calls from insurance agents, double glazing salespeople, debt collectors and all other sorts of people.
        Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

Hi, no the debt is not being collected by capquest, and to be honest I'd prefer not to say who, because I have a feeling that some DCAs are looking at these forums, but it is one of the well known pond life DCAs!

The debt it not yet statute barred, but has about a year to go.

I saw on one post from another forum that the DCA had replied after a standard letter was sent mentioning Armstrong V Sheppard & Short, saying that it did not apply to doorstep visits.

As far as I see it, they are not entitled to visit without appointment, end of story, unless it is a bailiff acting on behalf of a court.

I just need confirmation that this is the case?

Comment

Basically they have the same right to knock on your door as anyone else, no more and no less and you have the same right to tell them to P**s off as you would if it were anyone else.
            Peter
            Last edited by peterbard; 6th December 2011, 19:26:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by umgeni View Post

I saw on one post from another forum that the DCA had replied after a standard letter was sent mentioning Armstrong V Sheppard & Short, saying that it did not apply to doorstep visits.
              Report them to OFT as that is a load of misleading bull**** as it applies to anyone coming to your door unless they are asking directions or are the postman.
              Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

A debt collector cannot visit your home without prior appointment. Under Common Law, you can refuse anyone an access to your assets without a warrant or a court order. You should write to the debt collector that they cannot visit your property without prior appointment and that you do not want them to visit your home. However, if they pursue you, they will be committing a ‘Tort of Trespass’ and you can deem this behaviour as an act of harassment as mentioned by the Protection From Harassment Act 1997.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X