• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mobile Debt!! Help TT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Debt!! Help TT

Hi guys,

Back to 2008, i had two contracts with o2. There was a time that my father was really ill, so i had to rush back to my country ( I was an international student) Unfortunately, my father passed away, so i didn't get a chance to come back and left all the debt behind.

I'm back to the UK last month and stay in the same flat i used to stay in 2008. Last week, i got two letters from Lowell requested me to pay 1,500 pounds debt.

I really dont know what is the best way to handle now. I cound not afford to pay the whole amount and the contracs should not be that much anyway. Should I call o2 or Lowell whether they can help or should i leave it for a while until i can afford to pay.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Mobile Debt!! Help TT

I would send a Subject Access Request (SAR) to O2 - it costs £10 but will give you all information they hold on the debt. You'll see then any letters you've missed in your absence and get an idea of what is happening. O2 have 40 days to respond to this.

How much do you think the debt should be? This will give an idea of how much has been added in charges. Don't worry if you can't answer this as the SAR will give you this information.

As far as Lowells go, if you agree there is a debt to be repaid, I'd at this stage send them a Prove It letter which will buy you a bit of time while you wait for the SAR to come back. If they can't prove their entitlement to demand the money from you, obviously it would be silly to pay them. If they do prove it, then you pay only what you can afford each month to them.

If you do the SAR, when you get it back, post up again and we'lllook at the options available to you.

Comment

Thank you very much for your advice Labman.

To be honest, I'm a bit lost now. I'm back here this time to continue my study, so i have no income. In the past days, i've been thinking whether i should avoid this payment.

But i think the best way is to pay it as i really did breach the contract.

I think my debt should be less than 1,000. I will send the SAR as advice. Do have to send them an e-mail or phone them? what will happen if o2 do not respond in 40 days?

In the letter sent by Lowell, they give 20 days to contact them. In the meantime shall i contact them or wait for the SRA?

Thank you so so so much for your advice,,,,in such a big city like London. I really have no one to turn to

Comment

Hang on - sorry, I didn't grasp your position. You say you have no money. Before doing anything, you need to find a FREE debt advice agency - Payplan, CCCS, National Debtline, CAB etc.... Contact the site team via pm - they'll be able to recommend an organisation they know to be good. These organisations will complete a Common Financial Statement which sets down your Assets, Income and Expenditure, then looks at your debts and what, if anything, you can afford to pay.

Hold fire on the SAR for now as any charges can be challenged later if necessary. If you have been away for 3 years and only just returned, you have no income and no foreseeable way of getting income in the short to medium term, any decent debt advisory service will write to the creditor, state you are suffering from significant financial hardship and ask them if they would consider writing off the debt.

Comment

Thank you Labman...I have already contacted Payplan. I will fill up the form, and let's see what they can help in this stage.

Thank you so much for your advice

Comment

Hi,

I would hope Payplan suggest you write to the CEO of O2 explaining the exceptional circumstances surrounding this debt and asking if they would reconsider. Below is the e-mail address you need:

ronan.dunne@o2.com

Comment

1,500 for 2 mobiles is a hell of a lot, though i suppose you were making international calls home. End of the day though, you can only pay back what you can afford.
              Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

HI

Did they send these letters whilst you were away or were they sent after you came back.

What i mean to say is do they know you are back or is it just a punt on their part. Not suggesting you avoid the debt or anything but if you are a student you have enough problems, you can pay them when your on 100k a year if your concience is troubling you.
                If it is a punt i suggest you ignore them.

Peter

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X