• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statuts barred debt and subscription payments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statuts barred debt and subscription payments

Have a small problem with HFO at the moment. They are pursuing a friend for a statute barred debt. No acknowledgement of the debt has been made in the last 6 years and the last payment made to the account was over 6 and a half years ago. The card was withdrawn over 6 years ago so it could not be used.

HFO are arguing this account is not statute barred and have provided documentation to demonstrate why they think this is the case.

Copies of the credit card statements from the period May 2005 to September 2005 show a recurring subscription to an ISP. Each statement says clearly "your card has been withdrawn" but they still allowed these £15 payments to go through on an ongoing basis (which co-incidentally allowed them to add an extra £35 in charges every month).

The statements show no payments to the account and they can provide nothing at any point in the last 6 years acknowledging the debt. What they are relying on is these recurring automated subscription payments to imply that the account was 'acknowledged' by my friend as it was 'in use' even though the card had been withdrawn (and therefore the payments should not have gone through) and they were automated payments she didnt know about.

So do you guys know? Is HFO in the right here or is this debt statute barred?

Oh yeah, to add to the giggles, the documentation they provided us also included a payment plan for another account of theirs. The data includes the original creditor, the credit card number, the (debtors) full name and address and most shockingly, their full bank account number and sort code. Way to really breach the Data Protection Act there. If Mr Ali is on these forums, give me a PM and ill be happy to provide you a copy in order to pursue any action against HFO you wish.
    Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Negative, I am a meat popsicle
    Tags: None

Re: Statuts barred debt and subscription payments

Report HFO to the OFT & trading standards if they refuse to go away.
    Its stat barred = end of and nothing these fools say or do will undo that.
    Remember to stay off the phone to them and not answer any security questions.

Comment

Originally posted by shamen View Post
      So do you guys know? Is HFO in the right here or is this debt statute barred?
      No, they are not right.

As usual, HFO are talking out of their backsides.

Report their lies to the OFT/TS immediately.

The OFT are looking to revoke HFO's CC license, and that is going to appeal. Every complaint highlighting their lies and abuse will help them be put out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by shamen View Post
        The statements show no payments to the account and they can provide nothing at any point in the last 6 years acknowledging the debt. What they are relying on is these recurring automated subscription payments to imply that the account was 'acknowledged' by my friend as it was 'in use' even though the card had been withdrawn (and therefore the payments should not have gone through) and they were automated payments she didnt know about.

So do you guys know?
        Scio capita eos in ano sunt. Does that help?

Is ... this debt statute barred?
        Are HFO debt collectors?

Is a hog's penis pork?

Oh yeah, to add to the giggles, the documentation they provided us also included a payment plan for another account of theirs. The data includes the original creditor, the credit card number, the (debtors) full name and address and most shockingly, their full bank account number and sort code. Way to really breach the Data Protection Act there. If Mr Ali is on these forums, give me a PM and ill be happy to provide you a copy in order to pursue any action against HFO you wish.
        Perhaps you should write to him, enclosing a copy of what HFO sent you and asking politely whose accounts he'd received?

And send a complaint to the OFT.

Comment

Cheers all, looks all good then.

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
          Perhaps you should write to him, enclosing a copy of what HFO sent you and asking politely whose accounts he'd received?

And send a complaint to the OFT.
          Good idea

The OFT are looking to revoke HFO's CC license, and that is going to appeal. Every complaint highlighting their lies and abuse will help them be put out of business.
          Yes this one is going into the mind to revoke complaint too. Ive already sent one in from HFO and my wife, just wanted to make sure my friend was in the right before sending this one in.

Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Negative, I am a meat popsicle

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X