• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Citifinancial and Cabot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citifinancial and Cabot

I am new to this and was looking for some help as the Citizens Advice Bureau have been rubbish.

I had a credit card back in 2002, was out of work in 2003 so CAB helped arrange token payments, only one refused and carried on chasing adding interest etc, in 2005 got a letter from DCA who bought the debt so arranged to make payments to them, paid them until Oct 2007, phoned to say i was moving house, they said they would contact original creditor to arrange to get the rest of the account written off. Moved house, had another baby shortly after, and forgot about never receiving confirmation of said agreement. Had my mail redirected for 6 months.
    In Sept 2010 get a letter from Cabot chasing for the old debt and for a different amount.
    Stupid me called them to ask them what it was for as i paid a DCA. Off i went to CAB, they told me to send for a CCA, which i did.
    Got the £1 fee back off Cabot saying they were chasing the orginal creditor for details and they were not accepting the fee. Although they still wanting payment. CAB didnt have a clue what to do next and sent me on my way.
    Letters have gone back and forth and i put the account in dispute requesting all debits and credits aswell as terms and conditions etc.
    I have pointed out that under HMRC rules account records are to be kept for at least seven years, they ignored this.
    Still have not sent me them, in one breath they have said they are under no obligation to provide this but in the next breath they are saying that original creditor may not have the info. I have even mentioned a problem i had with fraud in 2006 on my credit file, they have asked me to provide them with all my previous address history so they can investigate. Have not yet done so.
    They have said the last payment they have details of was august 2007 but i have receipts to show i made payments up to Oct 2007. Which i have not mentioned as i have not accepted liability for the debt.
    All i want to know is what i am paying for and if there was PPI on the original account as when i was out of work i could have claimed on it if i have known. The amount was £729 outstanding with the DCA in Oct 2007 but now it is £893. I know most of the charges where interest added from 2003.
    Sorry its so long but i am stuck of which way to turn.
    Tags: None

Re: Citifinancial and Cabot

Don't get your knickers in a twist over Cabot. They can say all they like but unless they produce an agreement following your request - and they haven't been able to get one - they can do nothing and you can put the account into dispute and withhold payment until they do produce an agreement. Would you pay me money just because I said you owe me it? Cabot are no different and have no power whatsoever. They are a shower of chancers. They buy lemons with no paperwork then expect people just to hand them money. Those days are over. Since the last payment was in 2007, it's not long to go until it is Statute Barred and the account will remain in dispute until then. Until then do not ackowledge the debt or make any payment whatsoever.

Comment

Thank you for this, they do keep trying to twist the words as in the initial telephone call i stated the balance had been paid and asked them to prove what the amount is they say is outstanding, it took them ages to put it in dispute as they said lack of CCA doesn't warrant a resonable dispute but it is in dispute now. I have drafted a letter asking if it is worth asking for a SAR and who to pay the £10 fee to but i have not sent this yet. I have also applied to Experian for my credit file as the default they say was issued in May 2003 i never recieved notification so just want to check what they have done. I have been geting a bit stressed over this.

Comment

There is no point in an SAR - they don't have any information. Don't get stressed, ignore them and DON't EVER talk to them on the phone - insist they write to you if they want to get in touch. When they phone, don't give them any details for security. If the account was defaulted in 2003, then the default will have fallen off your credit records in 2009 and there won't be any trace of it. The same debt cannot be defaulted twice so Cabot cannot make a default entry. If they have done so, make a complaint to the credit reference agencies and tell them to remove it. You have prof from Cabot that it was defaulted in 2003.

Comment

Thank you, i have checked my credit report and there is no default from either company, surely if the debt had not been wrote off three years ago by the original DCA surely it would show on my credit report.???
          Last edited by tinksgee; 14th March 2011, 20:01:PM.

Comment

If it was defaulted in 2003, it would have fallen off your credit reports in 2009 - it can only stay on for 6 years and it can only be defaulted once. Forget this debt and ignore Cabot.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X