• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help & Advice Needed Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help & Advice Needed Please

hi there, some advice needed please.

I am a late 50s senior executive whos job was made redundant just over two years ago. Had no luck on the job front and the prospects are not getting any brighter!

My wife has a 25 hours pw part time job and I have pensions (that I took early to get some money to live on) along with child benefit for our remaining child living at home (16yo). This broadly gives us an income stream after tax of circa £2k pm.

Our mortgage of £225k has a monthly variable repayment of £471 which until the end of April is being met by payment protection cover. Once that ends we will need to have discussions with the building society. We have a two bed flat which once fees are paid might at best realise around £240k.

Our outgoings on household expenditure, insurances etc (exc the mortgage payment) are circa £2300pm. Of that the most worrying is the debt on my credit cards that has built up to around £24k with minimum monthly payments of £400 pm which is eating in to the modest final savings we have of £2k. We have one small car that is owned outright and is registered in my wifes name.

All the current credit card debt is in my name. My wife has a loan outstanding that paid for the car but that will be fully settled by September. She has credit but no other debts.

We have never defaulted on our debts and our credit rating was previously very good. We have no CCJs from the past.

We are seriously considering undertaking personal bankruptcy in respect of my debts. As the mortgage is in joint names would the property have to be sold as part of the bankruptcy process? At best the maximum equity that might be realised would be around £15k.

What other options might be open to us as alternatives?

In terms of benefits we are wondering if we would be better off renting than owning but the low interest rate we are on with the mortgage could not be matched on renting. Our flats are currently renting out at over £1000 pm.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

Dan
    Tags: None

Re: Help & Advice Needed Please

Bankruptcy should always be a last resort. You need to cut your expenditure so the prorities come first - mortgage, council tax. utility bills and food and clothing - everything else goes out the window. Contact your creditors and offer them a minimal payment, explaining you are between jobs and do this for your wife's bank loan too. That will release funds so that you are living within your income. You are used to a senior professional job so you need to lower your horizons to whatever is available and if you cannot get a job in a supermarket (they are willing to take on older people) then starting a window cleaning round is always a steady income. Just suggestions. Portering in a hotel pays well with tips. Not what you are used to but your priority is to get extra income.

Comment

You're right Pinky. I went frrom being a Headteacher, then retired throuogh ill health and delivered Chinese food to pay the bills until that came to an end through illness. It really is being prepared to do anything to bring in some money if you need to.

Comment

you guys are all right in your advice on here,contact everyone you owe money to,it,s possible to re-structure a lot(probably) of what you have,ive been there owed 50k,lost my job of 9 years,the stress gave me a stroke i was lucky i had a critical illness insurance policy and made offers to all my creditors through a third party and luckily had enough from my cip to pay everything off,i,m sure the future doesn,t look very bright at the moment through no fault of your own, stick around there,s knowledgeable advice here for free.and most importantly keep your chin up,there,s always a way out.
        Last edited by cappo; 12th February 2011, 14:08:PM.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their advice and observations

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X