• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vulnerability and innocence of youth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulnerability and innocence of youth

Anyone with advice on best way to approach this problem, gratefully received.

My daughter took out a car loan with British Credit Trust sometime in 2006, the toal amount payable was £12,087.08 and at October 15th 2007 she had paid back the sum of £7,509.02 leaving £4,578.06 outstanding.

It would appear that before this date she was having problems keeping up the repayments and a conversation with 'someone' at BCT suggested to her that the easiest way out of this was for her to 'surrender' the car as she had repayed over 50% of the debt and the sale of the car would wipe out the remainder owing, she would be 'debt free'.......(what a salesman..)
    My daughter did not consult me....only now does it hit my desk!!.....she surrended the car thinking that the salesman was a lovely chap who had solved her problems.....although she now was to use 'shanks pony' to get about...

Some months later (Dec) she receives a Notification of Balance Outstanding from BCT of £1,328.06....you can work out for yourselves what they sold the car for!! great deal for someone within the organisation......

She has received various DCA letters but did nothing! I have now found that MCE Portfolio Limited went to Court on the 23rd Oct 2008, the bill has increased from £1,687.28 to £2,210.57 with Court cost of £208.00 and £315.29 interest from the date of the Interim Charging Order added to the original amount.

Then it gets worse in that Mortimer Clark (I believe to be the same as MCE Portfolio registered a charge against her property with the Land Registry.

She now has a Simon Robins of Mortimer Clarke chasing her on the phone as
    at 7th December 2010.

My initial response is to ask from BCT a copy of all papers relating to this vehicle including the registration documents, also to reveal where and to whom the vehicle was sold and for what amount (genuienly)
    I wonder what redress we may have against BCT for their conduct in thbis matter, also to see if we could get this struck off for mis selling information or something...

Either way I feel like knee capping the so and so who conned her into this proposition......if she had come to me then, I would have paid off the amount outstanding...it is a ridiculous situation to be in...

Any help please??????
    Tags: None

Re: Vulnerability and innocence of youth

Outside my area of expertise and hopefully somone will be along soon that can advise...but imo car finance is a complete and total rip-off.

Comment

Any takers out there with an opinion where to start???

Much appreciated please...

Comment

What sort of agreement was the car loan?

Comment

Hi Caspar,

As I said I haven't all documents, but of the one I have for BCT the reference number starts HPxxxx
          I would conclude from this that it could be a hire purchase agreement???
          That's why I wondered how to address a document to them asking for detail of the loan firstly?

Comment

If it's british credit trust then it's almost certainally HP . There is usallyl a walk away clause in an HP agreement but for it to work there are very strict conditions.
            Go back to Bt and ask about the conditions for the 50% also sar them for the conversation with the salesman.

Comment

I don't think there will be much you can do about the court case, CCJ etc due to the amount of time that has passed. Best thing would be to SAR (Subject Access Request) the original creditor and Mortimer Clarke. In the meantime, don't speak to MC on the phone at all, put everything in writing, starting with the SAR. The SARs should get you copies of everything, including the loan douments, terms and conditions etc. Then you should be able to get a clearer picture of the best way forward. If they continue to hassle by phone, then there is also a letter you can send to stop the phonecalls too.
              Last edited by WendyB; 2nd February 2011, 15:14:PM.
              Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X