• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sorting out the mess

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorting out the mess

Hi all
    Whats the best way forward for our finances.
    All debts are in my name OH has an excellent credit history. is it better to have separate accounts.
    Would it benefit my OH (financially) if he distances all financial connections with me.
    I will have 6 years to work out my mess but understandably my OH wants a squeaky clean history (did not admit to my debt problem until last January so it came as a hell of a shock for my OH)
    We will still have a mortgage together regardless but if we are not financially linked in any other way would it help.
    We are also not married not sure if that makes a difference
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by winner12; 18th January 2011, 17:53:PM. Reason: Requested by sapphire
    Tags: None

Re: Sorting out the mess

Winner can you please break that up into separate questions/sentences to make it easier to understand.
    Thank you.

Comment

My understanding is your debt is just that, your debt. Your wife cannot be chased for it. The mortgage is clearly different as that is in joint names. Common sense would dictate you make every effort to keep her credit record as clean as possible, so just having the mortgage together and nothing else would, to me, seem sensible.

Comment

Yes thanks Casper that was my thinking too not that either of us want any debt,lesson well and truly learnt on that score.
        But I did not want any of this mess affecting anyone else its bad enough trawling through with limited options for myself

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X