• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCA Requests - any point?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CCA Requests - any point?

While you aren't communicating or paying them the debt will continue increasing, if you tried communicating with them regarding a DMP repayment and a freeze on interest and charges, then you could still challenge the validity of the agreement but have another plan of attack on the OFT 664 /lending code angles etc. And if they decide to try and enforce the debt through court you would be much more likely to get an installment plan (if you don't result with a bonafide defence on the lack of / validity of the agreement that is)
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
      Absolutely AC!
      Including reference to CPUTR 2008 does send them into a bit of a nosedive, as there's no precident such as Carey for them to use smoke and mirrors with and they seem very defensive and reluctant to face the challenge (as yet).
      Here's a good response to a CCA request, from OTR. In this case it wasn't necessary to send a follow on letter asking for a direct answer, as they took onboard the CPUTR ref in the CCA request:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...=1#post3261733

Shepherdess
      I love CPUTR 2008.... !! Not a single one of mine has managed to carry on pursuing in the face of a letter requesting a definitive answer as to whether they do or do not hold a signed, properly executed Agreement under CCA 1974.... they've just b*ggered off...!!

:-)
      Remember the mantra :
      NEVER communicate by 'phone.
      Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
      Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
      Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

The following have all backed off/lost the battle:

A & L PLC; A & L Finance Ltd; Global Debt Management Services Ltd; Shoosmiths (solicitors); Fenton Cooper; Mack Hall; Moorcroft x2; HFC; Barclaycard; Mercers; The Lewis Group; CL Finance; Cabot; M&S Financial Services, Triton, Green & Co. (solicitors)....

F&F settlement of a £52K ex-repossession shortfall... and now own my home once again....

Currently dealing with Tesco (RBS) & Moorcroft for the 3rd time.... lucky, lucky me!!! .... :-)

Life is like a game of Chess.... watch the enemy, defend yourself against aggressive manouvres and when in doubt, move a pawn....

Comment

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and;
        The Consumer Credit Directive.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          While you aren't communicating or paying them the debt will continue increasing, if you tried communicating with them regarding a DMP repayment and a freeze on interest and charges, then you could still challenge the validity of the agreement but have another plan of attack on the OFT 664 /lending code angles etc. And if they decide to try and enforce the debt through court you would be much more likely to get an installment plan (if you don't result with a bonafide defence on the lack of / validity of the agreement that is)
          Thanks for that..however I don't see why I should be paying a DCA when the account was sold on whilst in dispute, which I don't believe it should have been. I was more than happy to continue paying Sainsburys, in fact I even offered them what I thought was a fair F&F, but they turned it down. I thought interest could only added after default if the agreement stated that it could....without sight of the actual agreement who can say whether this clause existed or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Duffers Mum View Post
            Thanks for that..however I don't see why I should be paying a DCA when the account was sold on whilst in dispute, which I don't believe it should have been. I was more than happy to continue paying Sainsburys, in fact I even offered them what I thought was a fair F&F, but they turned it down. I thought interest could only added after default if the agreement stated that it could....without sight of the actual agreement who can say whether this clause existed or not?
            Ok,
            myth dispelling time

it was often considered that the creditor was not able to produce the signed agreement, then it could not sell the debt

This is wrong, very wrong, firstly the Courts have said you cannot withhold payment if the creditor cannot provide the signed agreement. Secondly, there is no restriction on assignment, look at HFC which brought Marbles, look at Barclay's which brought Goldfish etc, im sure there were numerous people who had not been provided with their signed agrement on request, does that mean barclays arent entitled to buy the debt?

No,

Also the OFT has said that it is not a valid dispute where the Creditor cannot provide a signed agreement

and then there was Carey vs HSBC, and also the recent ruling of the High Court in a case i was involved with

It is not acceptable to the Courts to withold payment in these circumstances and you will face adverse consequences for witholding payment from the Courts if the matter goes to court.

What you can however investigate, is whether paying the DCA would lead to good discharge, can they discharge you from your obligations? if they cant then you do not pay them but pay the original creditor. as to pay the DCA could leave you with a debt with the OC

As for interest, the courts would accept a reconstititued copy, so the creditor should be asked to provide a true copy, of the original agreement per carey, this will give you the information you need as to the agreement and its terms
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

to answer the question on this thread,

Simply, yes, the statutory request pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974 sections 77 through to 79 is still a helpful matter.

If the Claimant breaches its duty, providing of course that it has a duty to comply ( see Rankine vs Amex) then it cannot enforce the agreement.

This will lead to the dismissal of the claim, see HFO services vs Patel, MBNA vs Mccullagh, Cabot vs Bachellier, all cases which turned on the s78 request and were won due to a breach of s78

I hope this clarifies my view
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

PT thank you can I also bring into the equation the fact that the DN issued by Sainsburys was non compliant, so that added to a reconstructed CCA which bears no resemblence to anything I would have signed still means they can add interest at whatever rate they fancy, totally wiping out all the token payments I made Sainsburys and increasing a debt I have no way of ever repaying in the near future, because any token payments I might make would be pointless because of the interest Cabot are charging? Seems to me these banks etc can do exactly what they like and there is no protection whatsoever for the consumer.

~Ah well, onwards and upwards...if this comes to Court, hopefully they will look kindly on me! Credit file is wrecked anyway so they can't do anymore damage to that!

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                  Ok,

This is wrong, very wrong, firstly the Courts have said you cannot withhold payment if the creditor cannot provide the signed agreement.
                  Are you referring to CCA 2006 here Paul; in the absence of sec 127 (3)?
                  Remember the mantra :
                  NEVER communicate by 'phone.
                  Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
                  Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
                  Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

The following have all backed off/lost the battle:

A & L PLC; A & L Finance Ltd; Global Debt Management Services Ltd; Shoosmiths (solicitors); Fenton Cooper; Mack Hall; Moorcroft x2; HFC; Barclaycard; Mercers; The Lewis Group; CL Finance; Cabot; M&S Financial Services, Triton, Green & Co. (solicitors)....

F&F settlement of a £52K ex-repossession shortfall... and now own my home once again....

Currently dealing with Tesco (RBS) & Moorcroft for the 3rd time.... lucky, lucky me!!! .... :-)

Life is like a game of Chess.... watch the enemy, defend yourself against aggressive manouvres and when in doubt, move a pawn....

Comment

Hi PT you have completely lost me now.Are you now saying that even after getting a recon
                    CCA we must still keep paying,what if the recon is made up? why are we therefore bothering with CCA 77/79 if we cant do anything with it.Please advise here as obviously I had gone wide of the mark with me thinking that a CCA 77/79 can be very useful.I know its not a tool to beat the heads of the OC/DCA but:
                    Quoting you 'Simply, yes, the statutory request pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974 sections 77 through to 79 is still a helpful matter'
                    Please enlighten me ,how so.
                    Thanks PT

Comment

I dont know how to explain this properly to be honest so that everyone gets the point im making

Firstly,

Can section 78(1) defeat a claim in the courts? Yes it can, if there is a breach, we all know what Carey said must be produced. End of story, dont believe me, read MBNA vs McCullagh which is on this site. Also see HFO vs Patel.

And furthermore i took a case against cabot to trial on a breach of section 78 and won. Cabot vs Bachelier.

All of which are in the public domain.

Now what happens next,

So we win cos they dont have the documents and cant satisfy s78 but can they reconstitute them later?

This point hasnt been tested in Court, but the Rule in Henderson v Henderson may cause a nasty headache, as they ought to have had the terms at the hearing that they lost, so may struggle to raise a new claim. Plus the fact that the new docs are not new for the purpose of these second proceedings as they are "The agreement" that ought top have been produced last time round as the last claim was based on this document

so, there we go

s78 can defeat a claim if breached in my view

Turning to the more important point of s127.

Now then, you all say "oh look they dont have a signed agreement" that should win the day right?

Well no it shouldnt, the Courts have said that a creditor can produce evidence as to matters which it wishes to rely upon, it doesnt need the original agreement,

So, let me give you an example,

GE Money had all their documents in storage at Iron Mountain, which as we will all know was subject to a massive fire which destroyed tons of their documents. So should GE money be made bankrupt cos of an arsonist?

that would frankly be inequitable, so they ought to be able to produce the agreement from other means if the circumstances fit. Also, id like to point out, that the Courts have said that the Defendant, where he wishes to raise an improper execution argument, MUST bring forward evidence as to what the state of affairs was when he or she signed the agreement.

SO you need to say yes i signed an agreement and this isnt it because the rate of interest is wrong, or no i never signed anything because it was 2003 and i took it out on line and thus the agreement is unenforceable because there never was a signed agreement.

Each case turns on its own facts, people look for this magic way of winning without any facts and its not there.

your case depends on numerous variables, and this is why to simply ask a question is s78 still worthwhile , is frankly like saying how long is a piece of string

In my view, 13 cases have been won with s78 arguments, since the start of the year

So what do you think? is section 78 helpful?
                      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                      Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                      Are you referring to CCA 2006 here Paul; in the absence of sec 127 (3)?
                      no

McGuffick

This is a binding authority which was considered as being correct by the High Court recently cant say any more than that as were still waiting for the final judgment as we only have the draft.

The Courts have said non compliance with s78 is not enough to stop paying, or stop attempting to pay something atleast.
                      Last edited by pt2537; 21st January 2011, 20:09:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well no it shouldnt, the Courts have said that a creditor can produce evidence as to matters which it wishes to rely upon, it doesnt need the original agreement,
                        To clarify things further

this does not mean that the Creditor can sue you and needs NO EVIDENCE, it will need to discharge the burden on the balance of probabilities.

However, the facts are that you can no longer just stick them to strict proof that you signed something. Think of it like the right to remain silent, you have the right but adverse consequences can come out of such action.

It is the same thing really as you need to say what happened in your case, you neeed to prove the documents they rely on are false etc

it is possible, i cant say much here, but i have been a thorn in the side of a few banks lately with my document expert who has found flaw after flaw in agreements for me.

Comment

Thanks pt. I raised the original question and I finally have a complete answer. It can be useful, but is not a panacea, just one small piece of the jigsaw that makes up your case.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                            Thanks pt. I raised the original question and I finally have a complete answer. It can be useful, but is not a panacea, just one small piece of the jigsaw that makes up your case.
                            it can be the missing piece that wins the day though

dont ever forget that point

Comment

Thanks PT

Comment

Originally posted by firefly View Post
                                Thanks PT
                                no probs,

does that clear things up?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X