• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Free FlexTel Accounts -vs- Harrassment Calls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Free FlexTel Accounts -vs- Harrassment Calls

Agreed but once its set up and running, its sweet and works perfectly.

I get my email, which creates a record of who and when they called and I then listen to the message on my pc. If I want to call them back I do. Either way, I have a recording if they leave a message and a few shekels in the account for their efforts.

Comment

Apologies for the ignorance with this one, but I assume FlexTel just works with landlines?

Comment

Originally posted by supermac9 View Post
        Apologies for the ignorance with this one, but I assume FlexTel just works with landlines?
        Hi. No landlines. Its a service that emails your computer. You get an email telling you who rang and when. You can also listento any messages (most DCAs don't leave them but others, like the Revenue and the FOS etc do). Youi then earn 3p (from memory) for every minute, so its not much money but it is at least their money you're earning!

So, no landline required, just your pc.

The best bit for me was the voicemail recording, so it dupes them into thinking its a real landline

Comment

I have just received this service update from FlexTel. They now offer LOCAL 'phone numbers and not just 087 numbers. Even allows for codes from other parts of the country for those wishing to disguise their actual location from the DCAs!

FleXtel has vastly increased its selection of phone numbers.
          We can now offer you the full flexibility of the FleXtel service with a choice of UK local and regional codes that your callers may find more familiar.
          You aren't restricted to codes local to you, in fact, you can have phone numbers from just about anywhere in the country!

The local numbers don't appear to be free unlike the 087 and 070 numbers.
          Last edited by The Debt Star; 13th January 2011, 13:24:PM.

Comment

DS - I effective press the rep button every time I thank you - it counts as the same thing. You try thanking me for this then pressing the rep button - you'd be told you can't rep the same post twice!

I'd love to have a local number from somewhere in Northern Scotland or something, but Truecall is doing its job with me. Wish I'd known about this first mind.

Did I tell you I had a letter from the bailiffs a couple of days ago. All it really said was we acknoledge your SAR and we have until dd/mm/yyyy to respond. However, as I'd intentionally antagonised them by sending them a screenprint of the call where they lied through their teeth to me, they then went on for a further 3 pages trying to tell me I'm not allowed to record them, blah, blah, blah.

Maybe they'll be more careful what they say next time. Nice thing is I have nothing to lose as I'm trying to reclaim money given them 3 years ago, so anything I get will be a bonus.

Comment

lol, Casp, if I do that you'll get 160+ rep points off me! You can't thank the same poster twice on the same day with both a or an ordinary 2-point rep using the "Thanks" tab.

Where does this bull that we're not allowed to record calls received from DCAs and their ilk come from? They routinely record us without permission. They all do it; the banks, the telecoms, creditors et al.

It CLEARLY works, does recording these pests - and seems to irritate them no end when we do that and let them know!

Sorry to hear you're getting bailiff letters. You are, I hope, quoting MALG to them hook line and sinker?
              Last edited by The Debt Star; 13th January 2011, 14:47:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
                I opened a free FlexTel account and was provided an 0871 number.

This free service automatically emails you the date, time and number that you have been called. It also plays back a voicemail message. So you have a record of any calls and messages that have been left. All free.

The biggest benefit is that you earn money on the calls

So I have given my 0871 number to the debt collection agencies, my banks, other creditors and anyone else who I don't care pays me for their call.

Here's the link.

http://www.flextel.com/
                Good idea! I use a Flextel 0844, which is less expensive than 0871, but still free to my mobile.

I'm really surprised that you can use 0871, so I guess I should get a free one and start earning money.

I use my 0844 to record my calls, which means I get emailed a recording of every call. Very handy for sales calls promising the earth! Lol!

Comment

Re: recording.

A couple of years ago when dealing with first plus, I would always ask them if they were recording, of course they always said yes, at the end of the conversation I would then request a copy of said recording. It was always sent. I did this to cause utmost inconvenience and cost to them.
                  Oh and it was also quite suprising how many times they lied or contradicted themselves.

I'm not sure what the law says on passing the recording on, but I believe if you are being recorded and you ask for a copy, they have to send it.

Comment

The trueCall handbook says that you are allowed to make recordings of yuor private conversations provided the recording is for your own use. In some cases recordings are admissible as evidence and I know that recordings can and do get played in civil proceedings to decide on questions of fact. So what works for you works for them as well, presumably.
                    Last edited by The Debt Star; 10th July 2011, 18:08:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maillaw View Post
                      Good idea! I use a Flextel 0844, which is less expensive than 0871, but still free to my mobile.

I'm really surprised that you can use 0871, so I guess I should get a free one and start earning money.

I use my 0844 to record my calls, which means I get emailed a recording of every call. Very handy for sales calls promising the earth! Lol!
                      yes its a great service innit?

I got a free 0871 number last year. However Cleverclogs advises us that the freebie 087 number have now all gone but some are available for only about £7 which is pretty darn good considering the massive anti-harrassment benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by shell View Post
                        Re: recording.

A couple of years ago when dealing with first plus, I would always ask them if they were recording, of course they always said yes, at the end of the conversation I would then request a copy of said recording. It was always sent. I did this to cause utmost inconvenience and cost to them.
                        Oh and it was also quite suprising how many times they lied or contradicted themselves.

I'm not sure what the law says on passing the recording on, but I believe if you are being recorded and you ask for a copy, they have to send it.
                        Wouldn't that fall within the remit of Data Protection Act (1998/ 1989? not sure which) but bottom line is, a person has the right to see/obtain copies of ALL data held about them... this includes notes, emails, just about any data that's held about you with regard to anything... I think?

Paper clips - the larval stage of coat-hangers!

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
                          yes its a great service innit?

I got a free 0871 number last year. However Cleverclogs advises us that the freebie 087 number have now all gone but some are available for only about £7 which is pretty darn good considering the massive anti-harrassment benefits.
                          Apparently the free 0871 numbers are back!

BTW they've now added call recording (just press the record button next to you number). Costs 10p per recording, but not bad, as they email the recording to you, so you can listen to it, save it or forward it for nothing!

Comment

I would fully endorse this service. I bought one the other day and actually intended posting a thread about it, but couldn't due to technical problems.

Mine cost just £6 and is an incredibly memorable number - so memorable I was surprised it wasn't being sold for far more. I spent several hours researching the various providers, and Flextel appears, in my opinion, to be far and away the best.

To me it is £6 very well spent. All I have to ensure is that 1 call a year is made using this number and it remains mine for life, can be directed to any telephone in the world including mobiles for free, it notifies you by e-mail when you've had a call and will even record a conversation for you and send it to your computer.

A really, really clever system.

For anyone considering one of these numbers, I would suggest you don't try to understand an appallingly laid out home page. Look at numbers and tariffs, pick one to suit and go for it. Once you own a number, setting it up is much much easier than the home page would suggest.

This or a trueCall is a must for anyone being harassed by DCA's.
                            ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                            Going back to the recordings, making a recording for personal use is perfectly legal for a private individual. It must not be shared with any third party, but can, with the permission of the judge, be used as evidence in a court of law.
                            Last edited by labman; 4th September 2011, 09:06:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hooray Labman! Good for you! Yes, this service is a MUST in the fight against harassment 'phone calls.
                              ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                              Originally posted by Maillaw View Post
                              Apparently the free 0871 numbers are back!

BTW they've now added call recording (just press the record button next to you number). Costs 10p per recording, but not bad, as they email the recording to you, so you can listen to it, save it or forward it for nothing!

I get my recordings by email for free. Also on an 0871 number. Perhaps they have changed the ToB for new accounts. Anyway, 10p is worthwhile for what you get.
                              Last edited by The Debt Star; 4th September 2011, 10:09:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yep. Looking through posts after I joined I stumbled over your thread, thought it a good idea and decided to investigate. Loads of places offer these numbers, but most charge about £5 per month - Flextel is free!

As I say, I was put off by the Homepage of their website where I understood almost nothing, but took a £6 punt which paid off.

If it's being used purely to ward off DCA's, there's no reason I can see for not having a number which costs a fortune to call - bet that would stop them pretty quickly!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X