• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Welcome - Advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome - Advice needed

Hi

Am new on here!

Basically I got the pleasure of a home visit tonight from Welcome.

The conversation went as follows:

No proof of ID shown – just said that he was calling from Welcome, regarding my missed payment and that calls had been made to my mobile today.
    I explained that I had not had any missed calls or voicemails, and that I had also recently been in hospital.
    The person then said that they had received notice from my bank that the direct debit had been cancelled. I disputed this as I have confirmation via bank statement that the money was paid.
    He then said that it was my responsibility to prove this and that I had to email him a statement to confirm. I explained that I would not be able to do this.
    I then asked why this person felt it necessary to come to my door at night, at which point my partner came to the door.
    The guy became very defensive at this point, as my partner asked the same question. He then said that he would not discuss my account with him unless I said he could, to which I said that was fine.
    He then told my partner that his team member had tried calling once today. My partner responded that everytime I had tried to contact welcome that I had trouble getting through. The guy then said that my account had been transferred to his branch in MK and that he had heard previously that customers had experienced problems contacting H/O. I was not and have not been informed of any changes.
    The guy then said that it was within his right and quoted FSA regulations that he was allowed to make a doorstep visit between 8am to 8pm, and that he was also recording the whole conversation. I responded to this by stating that legally he could not do this without my permission, which he had not asked for. He then quoted the Data Protection act (I work in HR so am fully aware of the DP). He then sneered that “it would not be admissible in court”!
    He then said that he was not originally going to charge me for the visit, but as I was being “this way”, he would now add a charge to my account. My partner responded that we would not be paying this as the visit was unacceptable.
    At this point, I asked his name, to which he responded “Dillon – I am the MK Manager” (I also took a car reg number of FM08 RXH).
    I advised him that I would contact the H/O to discuss my account as I am not accepting this treatment.
    He then said “well it is a secured loan, so…”. I explained that I have been paying the loan for almost 3 years out of the four, so legally he cannot take my car. He then said that I should go and check the internet for a company called The Lewis Group, and that he would sell my debt to them.

It was at this point that he said that he said that it would be my responsibility to call. He would tell his staff not to call me at all and that it was now “in my court”. My partner said that he should actually just call me back tomorrow during NORMAL hours of 9-5. Dillon said “look – I was ready to give her the email address to sort all of this out, but I’m not gonna do that now”.
    My partner asked why he said to me that they had tried to call 5 times, but told him that it was only once. Dilllon then said that if they called continuously, would I say that they were harassing me – I asked what he meant – to which he did not respond.
    I then became quite frantic at this point and asked that he give me the email address. He then kept on saying “do you think I want to be here – I want to be with my family –not at your front door” to which my partner responded “then why are you? Go home and leave us be, and call her tomorrow”. The guy would still not give me the email address – at this point I did become a bit “screechy” and said for him to give me the address, to which he did.

I advised that I would be making a formal complaint. He turned his back and my partner shut the front door.

I fully intend on contacting the complaint department tomorrow, and am even tempted to actually call the lewis group and ask that they buy my debt (just ranting!).

In all seriousness - what can I do and where do I stand?
    Tags: None

Re: Welcome - Advice needed

If you were to SAR them, he'd have to produce that recording if it exists. If you had a copy of it then you could do a lot, if it doesn't exist then it's your word against his. I don't believe he had any right to come to your house as I believe it to be tort of trespass.

Comment

HI there...calm down....cant believe this is still happening with Welcome...they are just a bunch of cowboys..they've already had their hand slapped of the OFT..for continiued bad practises.

firstly....get with the net..there is loads of info out there about Welcome...none of it very nice.go to other consumer forums and also visit the OFTS,s own site regarding unfair practises...just about everything you need is there....get all the amunition before you start fighting..and then start blasting Welcome with all youve got...the good people on this site will help..BUT..remember you have to do all the hard work.Welcome and others WILL walk all over you ..IF you let them so roll up your sleeves and get on with it...good luck

Comment

The recording of the call is only admissable in court if the content of the conversation is highly significant to the case and that there is a dispute as to what was said. That would allow for the recording to be played for clarification. However, clearly, any recording would work in your favour since there are a number of things that are relevant: Welcome have said they called you a number of times, you have told them that the money was paid, etc,etc, You are entirely in the right stating that you will give nothing to them without proof in writing.

Let's just go back one step firstly.
        The debt or account he came about was with Welcome Finance so you need to WRITE to them and ask them what this is about.
        You have said you have paid 3 out of 4 years. Are the payments up to date?
        Did Welcome said you anything in writing about any arrears?

We'll deal with Dillon and his Audi A3 Sport 138 Tdi (5 Door Hatchback) car at a later point(yes I did check the type of car from the car registration, lol!!!
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

I had a similar experience a few years back;
          I was ill at the time but the Bank didn't believe me? (even though they held doctors certificates)
          They sent a Rep around to my home who suggested to my daughter that he should interview me in my bedroom!

The scottish bank concerned, later denied all knowledge about the visit.

Make a formal complaint;
          make sure that your complaint is formally logged on their system.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X