• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DWP – IQOR – Fredricksons – Brain Carter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWP – IQOR – Fredricksons – Brain Carter

Hi all

I am looking for some advice for a relative, who has a DWP debt.

They took out a crisis loan 3 years ago with DWP for just under £1000, the loan was to be repaid from deductions to benefits, but for whatever reason this did not happen.

They did ask DWP several times why, and were told it would sort itself out (well sort of a standard DWP answer), so no deductions were made.

After a year had passed they obtained work so came off of benefits, and asked what would happen about the loan, DWP told them the social loan department would contact them to make repayments.

After about 6 months a letter was received from IQOR, say that they were collecting outstanding DWP Loan (this was confirmed with DWP), but at that stage no further action was required and IQOR would be in contact again to sort out the repayments. They then received the same letter every six months, but no contact details and no request for payment

Now they have since been made redundant, and have signed on again, and within a week they received a letter from Frediricks telling them to call them as there is a debt they need to discuss, it did not state what the debt was.

A fortnight later they receive another letter telling them that the debt is the DWP one, so they phone Fredricksons (from a call box) and Fredricksons demand £30 a week or they will take it to court, get the bailiffs in etc (Yep the usual threats).

They have now received the normal Brian Carter ‘Pre-litigation’ letter with the usual threats.

Now she is happy to repay (that was never an issue) but they are damned if they are going to repay Fredricksons (who will take a cut and be ignorant), but Fredricksons refusing to provide the account numbers needed by IQOR to arrange payment directly, thus ensuring payment is made with minimum loss to the DWP.

As this is a DWP debt, can Brain Carters actually go for a CCJ?

Any ideas would be appreciated

Tim
    Tags: None

Re: DWP – IQOR – Fredricksons – Brain Carter

I would send the DCA a Prove It letter. Anything you pay wants / needs to be paid directly back to DWP debt recovery section (have phone number and address if you need it as I'm battling with them over something similar for my wife at the moment).

Bryan Carter is know for issuing Litigation Threats and normally, I believe, balls up somewhere along the way.

As you don't deny the debt and are happy to repay it, I'd also contact DWP Recoveries Department (who are not always very understanding, even when it's their mistake) and see if you can organise a repayment plan direct with them. Explain none of this is your fault and it is causing severe distress.

That's my view for what it's worth!

Comment

If you have the number it would be appreciated.

Besides if this county in in so much debt why are DWP giving IQOR a Percentage cut and then Fredickson a further cut!!

Tim

Comment

The only reference you will need when you phone the DWP should be National Insurance number.
        Is no longer here

Comment

DWP
          Debt Management
          PO Box 171
          Mitcheldean
          Gloucestershire
          GL17 0XG

Tel: 0845 600 8656 or 0845 850 0293

I've dealt with them through the second number, so try that first. Beware, they get bolshy! Equally they are very easily unfooted!

Comment

If it were me I would make a formal complaint to their Debt Management complaints department that they referred this to a DCA without firstly contacting your relative, in breach of the DWP's charter on debt management, especially since your relative had asked several times how the loan was to be repaid on each occassion was told it would "sort itself out." Any attempt to make an entry on his/her credit file will result in litigation against the DWP for damage to your relative's reputation and general creditoworthiness. I would then ask for their collection proposals and send a copy to my MP. It's absolutely disgraceful how they treat people and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. I would inform Brian Carter that you are dealing directly with the DWP and will have no further contact with any outside agency on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
              The only reference you will need when you phone the DWP should be National Insurance number.
              Indeed, but you do need to be through to the right department or they make your life hell.
              They'll ask your DOB as well!

Comment

An update for you all

Spoke to DWP, they have said the debt is with IQOR and they will not take it back, with out a very good reason (fair enough).

Spoke to IQOR, who confirmed that they had asked Fredrickson to Trace, but that is all!!!

Mentioned that Brain Carter were threatening court action and IQOR volunteered that they would not be allowed to at this stage, and this certainly would NOT be authorised by IQOR. (Something about a DCA cannot take legal action if a debt is being collected by another DCA??)

Debt now back with IQOR and being repaid at the same rate as any other DWP loan.

So thank you all

Tim

Comment

Interesting this

a loan from the dwp, social fund etc is not regulated by the cca 1974

by what authority is the dwp given out your personal details to an external debt collection agency

where and when have you given the dwp permission to do that

Comment

I think you'll find that the DWP use just four DCA's and will claim they derive their powers from Sections 130-133 of the Welfare Reform Act 2012.

Comment

i can understand the DWP sharing information with local authorities in relation to benefit claims, housing and council tax benefit

its passing out the data to a commercial organisation who have nothing to do with the DWP or local goverment that concerns me

i like to find out the DWP authority as it has nothing to do with benefit claims or fraud investigation

Comment

Don't they call them 'outsourced services' or something like that. I find it very frustrating that legislation like the DPA exists if the government can introduce exemptions to it when it suits them.

The Welfare Reform Act specifically states there is provision for further exemptions or something like that if I remember rightly - it's a little while since I actually read it, even though it's newish.

Comment

outsourced services

dont get me going on local authorities and crapita

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X