• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fredrickson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fredrickson

Hi, I hope someone can offer me some advice.

My mother has quite a few debt issues and I'm trying to get on top of them. This is just one of the many letters she has passed on to me. And any help is grately appreciated.

A letter arrived from Fredrickson today for a catalogue debt, which she had a few years ago but cant remember how much she still owed.

The letter claims the balance is £950 and they are now going to authorise legal action. It then states if she pays now, they would accept £500 as full & final settlement.

Should I contact them by phone or write asking for a breakdown of the balance?
    She has no paperwork relating to the debt.

Many Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Fredrickson

HOLD ON - DON'T DO ANYTHING. Calling in an expert on DCA's Curlyben - whatever he recommends do it! You won't go wrong. Normally the advice is if a DCA writes to you once ignore it, if thy write again send a prove it letter, but wait to see what Curly says.

Comment

Message received and I arrive.

Firstly DON'T PANIC.
      Secondly have a good read of the first link in my siggie.
      Now if this is the DCA's FIRST letter then ignore it.
      They are well known for papering people with similar names hoping for a reaction.
      That being said NEVER call a DCA, everything in writing ONLY.

Now once they write again then it's time to put them to strict proof.
      The starter is a Prove It letter, post #4 in my link.
      Then wait and see what they have to say for themselves.

Now if they call request everything in writing for the avoidance of doubt and refuse to discuss any financial matters over the phone. You are perfectly within your rights to do this.

Time to put the kettle on as you have a lot of reading to do and relax, we're here to help.

Comment

I've just shaken Freds off, Yartez, they give up real quick. Total light weights as well as low lifes. Coupla letters and they'll crawl back under their rock.

Comment

Glad you shook them off, but still follow Curlyben's advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
            Glad you shook them off, but still follow Curlyben's advice!
            absolutely! I think I used a Curly template when writing to Freds!

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
              I've also just come across a letter dated last week from bryan carter solicitors.
              The letter has the same reference no., and states that they have just traced my mother to this address. She has lived at this address for 25 years!
              It then states she must contact them quoting the reference number.
              It doesn't mention anything else.

The initial letter from fredrickson also mentions their client as Pheonix Recoveries.

Comment

yartez, they use the same old tricks. Brian Carter is a one horse solicitor outfit, very small operation, very lowlife. he probbaly has a scruffy office above a chip shop. Anyway, I got a bright yellow calling card off Fredericksons entitled "CONFIRMED RESIDENT" with allk sorts of threats on it. They are total knobbos; I had already written to them twice. Anyway, make sure you ONLY write to them and send EVERYTHING by recorded post and keep the receipts. Check out some of curly's letters. We will all gladly help your mum through this.

Comment

Thanks again.
                  Will wait for the next letter from them.
                  Does anyone know if fredrickson buy debts from companies?
                  Or are they just a collection agency?
                  I ask as they state they will accept around half of what they 'claim' is the debt.

Thanks again

Comment

ooh, half? can your mum offer 25%? They might bite at that...

Comment

One DCA acting for another DCA is NEVER to be trusted.

Yes, debt collector regularly "buy" debts from companies, normally in large batches without any back up paperwork.
                      This renders their threats utterly toothless.

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
                        yartez, they use the same old tricks. Brian Carter is a one horse solicitor outfit, very small operation, very lowlife. he probbaly has a scruffy office above a chip shop. Anyway, I got a bright yellow calling card off Fredericksons entitled "CONFIRMED RESIDENT" with allk sorts of threats on it. They are total knobbos; I had already written to them twice. Anyway, make sure you ONLY write to them and send EVERYTHING by recorded post and keep the receipts. Check out some of curly's letters. We will all gladly help your mum through this.
                        Only a small point, but no need to send recorded post, just ask for proof of posting. If it came to a court of law, that's all you need to produce. Recorded Delivery has no guarantee to get there anyway, Special Delivery is the only guaranteed way, so save yourself a few pence, post 1st class and ask for proof of postage.
                        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                        Originally posted by yartez View Post
                        Thanks again.
                        Will wait for the next letter from them.
                        Does anyone know if fredrickson buy debts from companies?
                        Or are they just a collection agency?
                        I ask as they state they will accept around half of what they 'claim' is the debt.

Thanks again
                        You sound as though you're being tempted by this offer - DON'T BE!!!!!!! There are things you could ask for that would almost guarantee they cannot enforce this debt. Yes, they buy debts off other people for a fraction of the outstasnding debt in the hope they can get a few quid off you. Don't be sucked in. Follow the advice on here and you shouldn't go wrong!
                        Last edited by Caspar; 27th October 2010, 10:00:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

if FredPricksons either own the debt or are acting as agents for the catalogue, if a F&F is accepted by them in that capacity, and if the debtor can afford to get this debt of her back now, where is the harm in settling the debt if say, he can get them to accept 10% of the principle outstanding balance? gets closure and mum can get on with her life.
                          Last edited by The Debt Star; 27th October 2010, 11:23:AM.

Comment

Good point there DS, but need to ensure that the CORRECT parties are paid.

Comment

One thing to be wary of is that Freds use Bryan as their in house solicitors. Yes they are a bunch of lowlifes but to be honest, Bryan can (and frequently does) issue court proceedings at the drop of a hat. I know he is usually quite easy to get rid of once the court proceedings are issued but he tends to use that old fallback "Abuse of Process" all the time and you have to put him in his place quite forcefully otherwise he crawls back out from under his stone again a few months later.

Follow Curlyben's advice above, then take it from there depending on what they come up with next.
                              Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X