• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I will be debt free and you can too - learn from my pain!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I will be debt free and you can too - learn from my pain!

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
    Dubex's post today brought this magnificent thread to my attention.

I just want to say well done, and thank you Crispy, for bringing the whole story to us.
    Thanks Bill K.

I've not been able to find a post by anyone called Dubex though?

Best

Crispy

Comment

Originally posted by Crispybacon View Post
      I've not been able to find a post by anyone called Dubex though?
      LOL - neither can I, now !!! I guess I was crediting a spammer.

Or perhaps I should take a little more water with my whisky !!!

Comment

Well here we are - August 30th 2011

This means that exactly 1 year ago today I made the first official payment of my self managed DMP to my creditors (to those that had accepted, and even to a few of those who hadn't!)

It has been a tough year, however it has been nowhere near as tough as the couple of years that preceded it, before I took the decision to grab my finances by the scruff of the neck, face down my creditors, and take back control.

During this time I have been subjected to some of the nastiest DCA tactics imagineable and treated like dirt. Some creditors (Santander notably) have only just finally accepted my DMP proposal after almost a year of bumping up interest, and harrassment.

I am now in a much improved position than a year ago. I no longer fear the postman every morning, or the telephone ringing.

It has been a struggle, and I'm sure I have more struggles ahead, but life is vastly different (in a good way!) to where I was last summer.

For those just starting out their debt free journeys please do not give up hope. It is possible to sort things out and turn things around, its just that you have to fight your creditors and 'the system' at every step. Stick to your guns and tough it out is the answer.

And this post CANNOT be made without a mention and a huge THANK YOU to this forum (and a couple of others) who have supported me through difficult times.

It has been the collective knowledge and experience that I've found in these places which has helped me deal with my creditors. Forget the CAB, CCCS, National Debtline etc.

Although these are great places to start initially it is only forums like this where you get the whole warts and all view of the 'debt industry' and how to deal with it.

Thanks again Legal Beagles. Heres to another 12 months and hopefully paying off my debt mountain very soon!

Best

Crispy

Comment

Hi All

Well another 6 weeks has gone by and the debt mountain is slowly being chipped away.

I have now managed to pay back £3,004 of the debt mountain over the last 12 months and at this rate should be debt free in another 3-4 years. Sounds like a looong time but it was going to be much longer had a kept trudging the debt treadmill.

I did have a little bit of DCA 'excitement'. Capquest started calling me at work (how they had got my employers number is anyones guess but I suspect it was a result of my applying for a basic bank account a few weeks ago).

I refused to answer the security questions then sent a letter of complaint stating that to call me at work was harrassment and also dangerous as asking my reception to put them through when I may be driving would be distracting and they could find themselves complicit in causing an accident.

Their response was that they had no record of ringing me.

However my response to their retort, which was that they were stupid enough to call my employers switchboard number, where their calls were recorded, and now I had it on record that they also were economical with the truth, has resulted in an apology and silence!

But other than that all quiet on the DCA/Creditor front. Credit Solutions Limited have totally clammed up since my CCA request so the 'pay up in 7 days or else' really has become 'or else what?'.

Hope you're all well!

Best
          Crispy

Comment

Nicely done that man..

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
              Nicely done that man..
              Thanks CB. Looking forward to making that 'debt free' post

Comment

Hi All

Hope you're all well! Just wanted to pop in and say hello as I hadn't forgotten you all!

Work has been really manic and just haven't had the time to be active in the forums.

So what has been happening in my DMP land?

Well for a start I had approx 6 months of total peace and quiet with no contact from creditors at all!

Then in the new financial year the review letters started and some 'low level' harassment!

Good news was I used OFT664 against one of them (Halifax/BOS) and got an apology, and approx 300 quid 'good will' gesture. So they knew they were up to no good.

Had a little bit of hassle from RMA and also Lowell but they were easily seen off.

Fingers crossed things will settle back down a little, and I can have another 6 months of peace and quiet!

Hope you're all well

Crispy

Comment

Well what a bizarre month!

In the space of 4 weeks with HBOS I have had the following:

1) Complaint upheld and just short of 300 quid as a goodwill gesture
                  2) Letter agreeing to payment arrangement
                  3) Letter confirming they cannot find my CCA
                  4) Letter from Wesc@t chasing the above account

So despite upholding my complaint, paying me compensation/goodwill gesture, in default of a CCA request they still farm out account to a DCA and so the whole merry-go-round starts again. I think another formal complaint is going to be sent, and Wesc@t are going to be easy to shoot down, considering the recent letters received from the OC!

When will these people ever behave?!

Best
                  Crispy

Comment

Thanks. It's good to know there's laws in place to help. Came here reading and think you've helped me loads, so thanks.

Comment

I am so glad i came across this site and more so Crispybacon's post above, it has inspired me to take long overdue action and today i have done just that. I have sat down and actually looked at my debt, i have a clear grand total of what i am dealing with, eeeks !! and i have my letters sorted ready to post tomorrow !! Im looking forward to managing my life again and, eventually becoming debtfree, thank you all for all the good advice x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X