• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Law on Hearing of Application.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law on Hearing of Application.

Received letter early last December for a Hearing of Application in Jan 2010 but that was IT! No notice of application was ever sent to me either by Claimant or the Court
    even though I had requested it on several occasions.

It finally arrived from the Court on the Saturday before the Hearing was due to take place the following Tuesday hence I was given no time in which to form a defence.

I tried to get the hearing transferred to my local Court or at least get it adjourned given the circumstances but to no avail and the order for the Claimant to be substituted was granted in my absence.

Is It right that they can just submit their application and witness statement to you on the last minute like that and just leave you in the dark as to what the Hearing is about and then give you no time in which to form a defence.

Any thoughts please.

Re: Law on Hearing of Application.

Do you know why you are being sued?

Comment

I knew who the Claimant was on the letter for Hearing, that they where the DCA whom bought this CCJ back in 2002, my payments are bang up to date, always have been and that they state statutory interest is being applied, if that is what you mean.

But surely your still entitled to know first WHAT the Hearing is appertaining to
      and secondly you are given time to form a defence base on what is in their Application!

Comment

Relevant CPRs clue on summary judgment applications;

(3) Where a summary judgment hearing is fixed, the respondent (or the parties where the hearing is fixed of the court’s own initiative) must be given at least 14 days’ notice of –
        (a) the date fixed for the hearing; and

(b) the issues which it is proposed that the court will decide at the hearing.

(4) A practice direction may provide for a different period of notice to be given.

(Part 23 contains the general rules about how to make an application)
        (Rule 3.3 applies where the court exercises its powers of its own initiative)

GENERAL

CPR 23

Giving notice of an application

Unless the court otherwise directs or paragraph 3 or paragraph 4.1A of this practice direction applies the application notice must be served as soon as practicable after it has been issued and, if there is to be a hearing, at least 3 clear days before the hearing date (rule 23.7(1)(b)).

Para 3 -

Applications without service of application notice

An application may be made without serving an application notice only:
        (1) where there is exceptional urgency,

(2) where the overriding objective is best furthered by doing so,

(3) by consent of all parties,

(4) with the permission of the court,

(5) where paragraph 2.10 above applies, or

(6) where a court order, rule or practice direction permits.

4.1A is irrelevant ref telephone hearings
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

So basically Ame
          if I am reading the above correctly,

The Judge had no right granting that Order for the Claimant to be substituted!

Especially as from the day I received the letter with the Hearing date I emailed the Court, sent letters, and rang them on several occasions asking them both what this Hearing was concerning and for it to be transferred to a local Court only to receive the claimants application 1 working day before the Hearing date.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X