• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PayPal Charge Back??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PayPal Charge Back??

Hey I sold an item to an acquaintance in another part of the country on the basis of a private sale. I live in Newcastle upon Tyne and he lives in Fife in Scotland. The agreement between the buyer and myself was 'buyer collect' and I didn't much mind how he did that. At one point he was almost prepared to come and collect it in person. However due to prior commitments he opted to engage the services of a delivery company instead. (Home Delivery Network). He bought and paid for the delivery service and then supplied me (via email) with the address label and tracking details. I retained a full copy of these tracking details.

However upon receipt of the buyers delivery instructions I noticed there was a problem with the weight he had paid the delivery company for the package. I informed the buyer of this immediately both via emails and a number of phone calls. It soon became evident that the buyer had deliberately attempted to play down the weight of the package (he paid for 8 KG's when he was aware the package was in excess of 25KG's). He however instructed me to give the package to the delivery company anyway when they came and he would pay any excess charge at his end. My impression was that by doing so he hoped to save some money and that the delivery company might not notice. (I have retained all emails showing him instructing me to do this.)

However after posting the package it became lost. The delivery company have since admitted responsibility for the loss and have said the package cannot now be found.

After this it also became clear that the buyer (again in an attempt to save money) had also selected not to pay for insurance on his item. Therefore the delivery company refused his claim for compensation.

Because of this, the buyer (since he paid through PayPal) then launched a PayPal dispute/claim against me. PayPal refused his claim on the basis that postage counts as an intangible service (and because I could provide proof of postage and tracking info to the last depot where the package was tracked to in Sunderland) this was not covered under their terms and conditions.

The buyer then launched a credit card chargeback against me via PayPal and my PayPal account is once again in deficit to the tune of £400 (which is the amount he paid originally).

The buyer openly admits that I am not responsible and that he knows me to be a 100% innocent party. I acted honourably and responsibly at all times and informed the buyer immediately of both the problems with the weight/postage and when the delivery company informed me of issues with the insurance.

However despite the buyer admitting that he knows me to be innocent (again I have emails with him saying he knows this) he has indicated his willingness to still go after me and to attempt to recover the money from me personally via this chargeback.

I cannot afford this as I am on a very low income and am disabled and survive on a very small amount of sickness benefit each week. I do not have this money any more as it was spent paying off my bills, several of which I was already in arrears with.

I have explained this to the buyer, but he still insists that he is willing to pursue me for this money regardless.

PayPal have not decided yet if they will contest the chargeback (my understanding is that they might not if they don't think they can win).

But clearly the buyer having lost his PayPal dispute with me and having been refused compensation by the delivery company due to lack of insurance, is now prepared to go after anyone - including me, someone he knows and openly admits is a completely innocent party in an attempt to recover his money. If PayPal decide not to contest the chargeback (which they don't always do in cases where they think they might not win), I will then be debited for the full amount, and PayPal will send the debt collectors in after me.

My question is, do I have any legal grounds now on which I could contest this chargeback - and if so how? Who is responsible? I would welcome genuine legal opinions, rather than just general opinions as anything other than a legal opinion is likely to be very confusing at this point.

This has turned into a very acrimonious dispute, where it's clear the buyer doesn't care where he gets his money from, or who he gets it from, just so long as he gets it back.

He has sent many emails and although not directly threatening, they do often seem quite harassing and stressful. I have kept a record of all of my communications with him at all times, although he has called me many times also.

Re: PayPal Charge Back??

Have you sent Paypal copiesof the correspondence between the buyer and yourself? I presume they will need this when making their decision regarding contesting the chargeback.
    Is no longer here

Comment

To save any confusion or repetition, please see this thread here: PayPal Charge Back?? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Yes I have sent PayPal all the information I have. I haven't sent all the emails yet, but have requested that they allow me to do so. The difficulty is that there are literally tens of dozens between the buyer and myself about this matter, so I will need an email address from PayPal I can forward them to. I have requested this from them also.

The problem with this other thread is that it is just full of unqualified general opinions. I am rather looking for a more legally qualified opinion in this matter.

Comment

Well to be honest then Cetelco is your best bet I would think, however as far as i know he is not legally qualified, but very well versed in law. If you want a legally qualified, concrete legal opinion then you would have to go to a solicitor. I believe most of them do a free (or very cheap) half hour first visit.
        Is no longer here

Comment

I wish he/she would notice this thread...

Comment

I have and as above, if you want a qualified legal opinion, then you must seek advice from a solicitor.

Dealing with PayPal is going to be difficult because a much of their correspondence is computer generated gibberish.

However, whether or not a chargeback is granted is not up to PayPal, but is up to the buyer's card issuer. They will have contacted PayPal who in turn will have placed a hold over the funds in your PayPal account, pending the result of the chargeback dispute. The fact that the buyer has already lost a PayPal claim for these funds is going to help you here since clearly there has been no wrongdoing on your part.

Ultimately, until you know the result of the chargeback dispute, there is little you can do, save for providing PayPal with as much information as possible, including all correspondence you have from the buyer, in particular where he states that he knows you are not liable but he is attempting to get his money back.

Once the dispute is concluded, if you are not successful in contesting the chargeback, you may issue a claim against the buyer in the County Court for the full sum, plus costs and interest.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X