• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

cabot financial grrrr!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cabot financial grrrr!!

hope i can get some help and advice. two years ago i received a letter from cabot financial services demanding money, no information on how much or with whom. i phoned them and they said i owed 400 on an overdraft with barclays bank in 1998 and that they tried chasing me from 2000??? liars! first i heard of it was 2008!, my problem is that i never had an account with barclays, and luckily i have a partner who
    checked my credit file (experian) and nothing was showing with barclays nor any accounts with them. cabot then kept phoning and as i'm not on the know with stuff like this my partner explained that i never had an account with barclays and that my credit file can prove this, she then asked for them to send original paperwork to prove i opened up an account and spent the overdraft....not heard and since then moved to my new address, 8 months in cabot letter arrived this morning, looking on my credit file they have been looking to find me...not happy! i phoned them again wanting proof....lady on the phone not happy and quite rude! sorry if i'm rambling, just so cross as i am one of these guys that only has one bank account, one credit card (with the same bank) and thats it! anybody have any advice on how to deal with company...never been chased for anything

Re: cabot financial grrrr!!

Hi, mrjudomea.

It's not for you to prove anything, send them Curlybens letter in this 'link' post #4.

Dealing with DCA's - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Comment

thanks for that, i'm just going to ignore them, and if they get to much i will have them for harassment. i will not be making any more calls and certainly be leaving a paper trail if it gets that far. just can't believe these companies, they should be regulated to stop these mistakes happening.

Comment

Mrjudoman

A lot of these companies have taken over old debts from banks, most of them are statuate barred, but they are trying their luck. What they seem to be doing is sending out threatening letters to everyone they can find with the same name and hoping the right person will respond. Even though these debts are statuate barred they are hoping people will be ignorant of the fact and just pay up.

Comment

just to update, today i received a welcoming letter (second letter a year apart )from these people saying that they have bought this so called debt of barclays...really getting to me now as i have requested that they send me details from barclays and it has seemed to have fallen on deaf ears! going through a really hard time at the mo and don't need this on top of it. how can they hassle people for money when you don't even owe the debt or ever banked with them???

Comment

I have had a similiar experience with another company and sent the letter outlined on this link: http://www.learnmoney.co.uk/credit-f...lt_notice.html

It takes time and patience but the end result was the default being removed and never hearing from them again.

Send all letter recorded delivery.

If they call, tell them all communication is to be in writing as per your previous request any further calls constitute harrassment until THEY prove you owe them money.

Good Luck.

Comment

If you haven't already sent the curlyben letter as advised, then you should send it by recorded delivery to the compliance Department at Cabot. Can give you a couple of names but not sure if I'm allowed to post them.?

And report them to the OFT , using the reasons in curlyben's letter, .Cabot are under scrutiny at the moment by the OFT while their licence is being considered for renewal and every new complaint is another nail in their coffin.

If Cabot don't respond to your letter, satisfactorily within 8 weeks you can report them to the FOS who may investigate.. If a decison is found in your favour they may award a small sum of compensation. It will also cost Cabot £500 for your complaint to be investigated by the FOS. Sometimes you have to hit them in the pocket financially to get results.

If they've marked your credit file for an account which isn't yours you can also report them to the Information Commisioners Office. But they will want to see proof that you have contacted Cabot and tried to sort the problem out first.
              If your credit rating has been affected by an error on Cabot's part and it has effected your ability to obtain credit , you will be able to claim compensation.

But first you need to send that letter.Without it the regualtory bodies won't intervene. There is no point in speaking to Cabot on the phone EVER.

As for these companies making this sort of mistake unfortunately it happens too often. .

Comment

I would appear that Cabot's licence is OK.
                My Blog
                http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

If it's from 98 and you've not acknowledged it in the last 6 years then it's statute barred and they are trying their luck.

A quick letter to say you have absolutely no knowledge of this, and even if you did it would be statute barred would probably be enough. Obviously with an 'I do not acknowledge any debt to you or any company you claim to represent' as a big red header...

Comment

thank you for your responses, as of yet since i have asked for details i haven't heard anymore...think it was the threatening of a solicitor that did it lol

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X