• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wends OH v Moorcroft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wends OH v Moorcroft

Just when you thought it was safe....

We bought a laptop with mobile broadband, 30 per month for 2 years. Paid first couple of payments then bank bounced a dd so I helpfully rang up O2 direct and paid it on the automated system. Unfortunately I managed to pay it against his mobile phone account not the compute account!!. Only realised when he got a letter saying it was in arrears and they were going to disconnect us. So rang again, paid 2 months payments, they said they couldn't reconnect as there was another bill on the way, but we'd get another statement, showing amount outstanding, if we rang and paid that then all would be fine and we'd be reconnected. That was on 17th Jan. No letters arrived, and tbh I forgot about it. Then out of the blue he gets a letter from Moorcroft demanding £1321.54 or Court. Well whilst I fell about laughing, OH thought he should ring Moorcroft, completely against my express instructions. He rang O2 as well but they directed him back to Moorcroft and so it goes on. Obviously when he got no joy from them he came round to my way of thinking lol. So anyway, I rang O2 (who to be honest aren't that bad) the bloke on the phone realised that he wasn't talking to a muppett and I have got an assurance from them that although they will not reconnect the broadband, they are instructing Moorcroft that the actual figure is £656.61. But me being the suspicious type and knowing what pondlife Moorcroft are, am sending the letter below. In fact I'm faxing it.

I write with regards to the recent “Notice of Intended Litigation” in the sume of £1321.54, received on 2nd March. Please be advised that I dispute the amount of the debt. I have had no previous communications from yourselves in this matter and I am somewhat at a loss to see how the debt is actually made up. Whilst I do not dispute that I have an outstanding balance with O2, this is far from the amountyou are demanding in your letter. Therefore before I enter into any discussion regarding arrangements to pay, please provide me with a breakdown/statement of the account, detailing all charges etc thereon. May I respectfully remind you that as the purchasers of the aforementioned debt, it is your responsibility to provide details of the debt. I would also request that you supply proof that you are legally entitled to collect this debt, such as the Notice of Assignment. If you hold not Notice of Assignment and/or do not actually own this debt, then please return it to the original creditor immediately.
    I have today spoken to the original creditor, O2, who state that they will be notifying you within the next 48 hours of the correct amount outstanding, of which they have advised me. The amount differs vastly from the sum shown in your letter. As such, no payments will be made by myself until I have received the information requested above.
    The account will remain in dispute until a breakdown of the account has been received from yourselves.

As this account is in dispute, I suggest that the case is passed back to its originator, in this case O2. If you are unwilling or unable to do this, then please be advised that any further communications should be in writing, not by telephone. I DO NOT give you permission to contact me by telephone, and request that my telephone number is removed from your records immediately.

I would also like to make you aware of The Office of Fair Trading Code of Guidance in which it states: putting pressure on debtors or third parties is considered to be oppressive This includes: Ignoring disputes about whether money is owed and refusing to freeze action if the debt is in dispute.

So with any luck Moorcroft will just give the debt back to O2, and if they don't, well I'll just make them an offer to pay, at the same amount we were paying O2 under the original agreement.
    Haven't posted this up for any particular reason other than to keep a record for myself as to what's going on, but, as evre, your input would be appreciated if you feel like it!!
    Is no longer here

Re: Wends OH v Moorcroft

Just an update on this one, sent the above letter to Moorcroft, they sent a letter back with the reduced balance. Offered them £30 per month, they accepted, snet us a payment book, all sorted.

I must say that when I rang up to make a payment by phone, the Moorcroft person was very nice, helpful etc. And they don't charge any extra fees for paying by debit card.
    Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X