• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car Finance Fixed-Loan Problems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Finance Fixed-Loan Problems?

While I was away on holiday recently, my son (in his early 20's), naively signed up at a Ford Car Main Dealership for Car HP Finance (Barclays Fixed-Sum Loan Agreement) on behalf of his friend/mate who is buying a used car (£13,000) = £16596 total payable over 48 months. His friend paid the £500 deposit and later completed the Contracts direct debit details using his own bank account details and is going to pay the monthly £333 approx payments himself.
    Very stupid I know for my son to be talked into getting involved in this but he did not fully understand the implications or read the small print. I can't see any way of getting him out of this now?...................his friend - who could not do this deal in his own name due to some (he says) minor problem in his financial history - has offered verbal guarantees of payment from his girlfriend /mother, etc should he ever default on payments, which he of course thinks unlikely to happen.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Whats the best way of making these other persons his loan guarantors if they are willing to sign some legally binding document.........

My sons friend is on the car registration document as the Registered Keeper (I would prefer it kept this way in case of any speeding fines/parking tickets) but my next question is................. does the Ford Sales invoice for the car, which is made out to my sons name/address, mean that under the law my son is the legal owner (which I would prefer) of the car in the event of any future dispute?

As a further reassurance, my sons friend is happy for us to open up a savings account in my sons name (son would have access only) where his friend then promises to pay in as much spare cash as possible each month to build up over the loan term and go towards future payments (or pay of the loan off early......although I think the high fees for early settlement would mean this was actually used as a buffer cash store for future monthly payments).

I would be very grateful for any suggestions on the above or any ideas to minimise the financial implications/risk of this situation for my son over the next 4 years of the loan term.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 12th December 2013, 11:25:AM.

Re: Car Finance Fixed-Loan Problems?

If his 'friend' defaults on payments it will destroy your sons credit rating.

You need an agreement in writing that your sons friend will repay the debt and if there are any defaulted payments then the mother/girlfriend (sounds wishy washy already) guarantees the debt. If they then don't pay you need something in place for your son to take ownership of the car.

Has your son seen a copy of his friend credit file to ensure he is telling the truth? It wouldnt be a problem for your sons friend to get a copy of it to show to him. did his friend apply in his own right initially and get turned down ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X