• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

roslerman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roslerman

Hi over 6 months ago a debt was passed from one collection agency to another who were acting on behalf of a credit card company. No problem there as this had been done before. My first letter from the new company stated "the account has been closed on our system and any default we are reporting to the credit reference agencies will be removed" and that it will be returned to the cc company and any further communication should be with the cc company. The letter shows that the balance has been reduced to £0.00. I rang the cc company and they said. ok if that is what the new collection agency are saying it is all sorted. Now the collection agency are saying the letter was a mistake and i should contact them. i of course stopped the DD i had set up with the bank to pay money monthly once i received the letter over 6 months ago. What should i do now? i am totally confused as surely if they write the debt off they cannot come back x months later wanting to rein state it? or am i wrong? Any advice offered would be helpful. Thank you
    Tags: None

Hi ROSLERMAN

Welcome to LB

I would lodge a formal complaint against with the credit card company follow their complaints procedure that will be on their website.

Explain what's happened, told debt written off, then told it hasn't been written off, that's caused confusion and stress. They should be providing clear information. You might get compensation from them.

You can add the following to your complaint -

The FCA states 'a firm must pay due regard to the information needs of its clients, and communicate information to them in a way which is clear, fair and not misleading.'

https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/f...ated-guide.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi ROSLERMAN

Welcome to LB

I would lodge a formal complaint against with the credit card company follow their complaints procedure that will be on their website.

Explain what's happened, told debt written off, then told it hasn't been written off, that's caused confusion and stress. They should be providing clear information. You might get compensation from them.

You can add the following to your complaint -

The FCA states 'a firm must pay due regard to the information needs of its clients, and communicate information to them in a way which is clear, fair and not misleading.'

https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/f...ated-guide.pdf
      Is it legal from them to firstly say its cleared then to say it isnt? i think thats my big concern because if they cant then i feel more comfortable contacting them both

Comment

Originally posted by roslerman View Post

Is it legal from them to firstly say its cleared then to say it isnt? i think thats my big concern because if they cant then i feel more comfortable contacting them both
        I don't think 'legalities' come into it because they said they made a mistake. They need to show they made a mistake. The Creditor and a debt collector has said it's the end of the matter. You have evidence of that. They should 'honour' that.

Comment

I dont have the proof from the cc company as it was a telephone call after i received the letter, although yes i do have the letter from the collection agency admitting an error on their part and apologises for their error. This is where i am both troubled and concerned about the legalities and if i make contact with either party. Yes i do intend to contact the cc company with the information you provided, but i am very reluctant to contact the collection agency as a lot of reviews seem be saying they are very aggressive with their messages and i do not want to make a wrong move early on in my responses. Sorry if i seem a little at odds with this as having a more solid base to argue my case at the start. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Send the Credit Card company a SAR request, they have 30 days to provide all the data on the account. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

You should then get notes on the telephone call.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X