• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Capquest chasing 2014 CCJ! Please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capquest chasing 2014 CCJ! Please help

Hi,

I recently go told by the person that is living at my old address that resolve call had visited them looking for me. I got in touch with resolve call confused as to what they could be looking for and emailed them saying I have no outstanding debts and that any debt is statute barred. Here’s is what they responded:

“Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

I note you have successfully accessed your account online, in your email you have advised the above account is Statute Barred unfortunately this is not the case as a County Court Judgement was applied to this account on 25th April 2014, under the Limitations Act 1980 this account is exempt from being Statute Barred

County Court Reference Number –

Judgement Date – 25/04/2014

The last payment made to the account was on 28th April 2017 for £100.

As we are unable to provide any further documentation as proof for you, we have closed the account and returned it to our client on that basis. There will be no further contact made to you from Resolvecall.

Should you wish to contact our client Capquest Debt Recovery Ltd. who are the owners of the MBNA credit card account please do so on the following details:”

What I want to know is if the debt is actually exempt from satute barred and if that means I still have to pay this debt although it’s not longer on my credit file having been removed after six years.

Please legalbeagles can you work you magic and help with advise as to what to do next

Tags: None

Ccj never ceases but it is upp to capuest to enforce longer they do not the court ask why so long

Comment

So what does that mean for the debt. Can they call baliffs I thought after 6 years CCJ was removed and debt is finished. Can they take to court again?

Comment

they can go back to court and but would have to have a very good excuse having not actioned before that time.

Comment

So what is my next move?

Comment

Their move next if ever?

Comment

Do nothing. A CCJ never officially expires but because it is 9 years old and the debtor has not tried to enforce it they cannot do so now without the permission of the court. They would have to apply to the court for permission to enforce and they would have to convince a judge that they had a very good reason why they hadn't done anything to enforce it for 9 years. From what you've posted it's highly unlikely they would get permission.
              All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Contrary to PallasAthena's point about the likelihood of the court granting permission, the High Court case of Westacre Investments Inc v Yugoimport SDPR [2008] EWHC 801 confirmed that the general starting point is that the court should assist the judgment creditor in enforcing the judgment and recover any debt. Debtors can challenge the enforcement on the basis of delay but there must be compelling evidence as to why the defendant is prejudiced by the delay in enforcement.

The Claimant may also argue that they were unable to track the OP or that the OP was ignoring correspondence sent by them which made it difficult to enforce. Equally, the OP could have said at an earlier date that there are no chances of recoverability due to the current financial situation and therefore the claimant decided not to pursue enforcement until a better opportunity presented itself. Could be a number of plausible reasons why the claimant would be granted permission but the onus is on the defendant to show why the delay has caused them prejudice such that any enforcement now should not be granted. No compelling evidence = permission granted.
                Last edited by R0b; 26th October 2023, 09:28:AM.
                If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the correction Rob. The understanding that I had (as did Mike further upthread) is widely quoted online even on debt management advice sites so it's helpful to know it's not accurate, especially as regards the burden being on the debtor to show it shouldn't be enforced rather than the creditor showing why it should be.
                  ​​​​
                  ​​​​
                  Last edited by PallasAthena; 26th October 2023, 12:16:PM.
                  All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Just to clarify, the courts still retain the discretion to refuse permission to enforce and I'm not suggesting the claimant gets an easy ride. A court would still like to enquire why enforcement action is now being considered after such a long time.

I could foresee a court refusing permission if the claimant basically sat on the judgment for a significant number of years and then suddenly decided to spring into action without a good justification but I suspect the bar for this is probably going to be low and not too difficult for the creditor to overcome.
                    On the flip side, a debtor could argue that they are only now just getting themselves on track with finances and mortgage etc, and enforcement would essentially put them in such a state where they could be made homeless, or their financial situation would be at serious risk.

Even if those kinds of arguments are not enough to justify refusing the court giving permission, I would be curious if an argument could be made that permission would be granted but only for certain enforcement actions i.e. charging order which which may strike a balance between getting what the claimant wants and not seriously prejudicing the debtor. Not sure there's any case law on this but it would be a novel argument to make on the basis that if the court has discretion to grant enforcement, it also extends to discretion on the types of enforcement one can make.
                    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                      Just to clarify, the courts still retain the discretion to refuse permission to enforce and I'm not suggesting the claimant gets an easy ride. A court would still like to enquire why enforcement action is now being considered after such a long time.

I could foresee a court refusing permission if the claimant basically sat on the judgment for a significant number of years and then suddenly decided to spring into action without a good justification but I suspect the bar for this is probably going to be low and not too difficult for the creditor to overcome.
                      On the flip side, a debtor could argue that they are only now just getting themselves on track with finances and mortgage etc, and enforcement would essentially put them in such a state where they could be made homeless, or their financial situation would be at serious risk.

Even if those kinds of arguments are not enough to justify refusing the court giving permission, I would be curious if an argument could be made that permission would be granted but only for certain enforcement actions i.e. charging order which which may strike a balance between getting what the claimant wants and not seriously prejudicing the debtor. Not sure there's any case law on this but it would be a novel argument to make on the basis that if the court has discretion to grant enforcement, it also extends to discretion on the types of enforcement one can make.
                      agree

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X