• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell end of debt problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell end of debt problems

Hi please excuse the long story but I need some experienced advice please.

I have a very long MBNA debt, probably 12 years or more. I have a Tomlin order and have religiously paid £100 via 4 x weekly payments of £25 a month. The debt has gone through many debt collection agencies, including but not only Arden, penultimately Hoist, recently transferred to Lowell.

I had calculated from the sparse information received from Hoistvthat I have a couple of hundred left to pay, and, due to the current financial struggles and having a secondary incurable cancer diagnosis and trying to be stress free, I contacted Hoist in March and asked if they would write this off due to my impeccable payment history. I was then told that Lowell had taken over. I telephoned Lowell and related my situation and was given the impression that it could be written off due to circumstances. Next I receive a thick correspondence pack asking for financial statements etc etc. and a balance that bears no resemblance to my calculation of the actual balance.

I had a conversation with Hoist last July after receiving correspondence with a balance on which did not Match my figures, and were told that was the balance at July 1st. I had done my calculation from this figure. I had now received my cost of living payment which should cover what I owed so I telephoned Lowell who told me they had not received my payments, I had only paid 25 in April and 25 in June and my balance was over 250 more than it should be.

After arguing the toss I was told to send bank statements to their email. I checked with my bank and the payments had definitely been paid so I sent the statements and asked them to send me itemised transactions for the last 5 years. I have now received a reply saying they can’t provide the transactions just a list of the last few payments to Hoist with no balances, which is neither use nor ornament in working out a balance.

I was under the impression that they were legally obliged to provide transactional statements and if they can’t how do they or I prove what is owed?

Please advise me before I respond, it’s really stressing me out!!! Thank you
    Last edited by vez; 5th July 2023, 17:55:PM.
    Tags: None

Can you please put some paragraphs in.

Comment

edited as in first post
      Last edited by vez; 5th July 2023, 17:59:PM.

Comment

edited as requested
        Last edited by vez; 5th July 2023, 17:59:PM.

Comment

Firstly I'm sorry to hear about your health prognosis and hope they are wrong and there is hope. Try not to stress yourself.

Don't speak to debt collection agencies over the phone.

a) Send Lowell's a SAR request they have 30 days to provide all the data on the account over the last 6 years. Make sure you get Proof of Postage. If they can't comply, make a formal complaint to Lowell's follow there complaints procedure, if you aren't happy with their response, lodge a complaint with the ICO and FOS.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

b) Ask Lowell's to write off the balance, do it in writing, send a Doctor's letter as evidence. Make sure you get Proof of Postage. Amend and personalize it with your circumstances.

https://nationaldebtline.org/sample-...rite-off-debt/

Update the thread when you get a response.

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

Well the calendar month for a response to my SAR request is up tomorrow and I have had no reply apart from a letter about my account being on hold. What do I do about them not responding please?

Comment

Send the following, make sure you get Proof of Postage -

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/yo...h-the-outcome/

If you contacted the ICO, they would tell you the same.

Comment

I have received documents from Lowell’s but only from when they took over my acvount at the end of 2022. Obvious this isn’t helpful as I have this recent information myself. Is this all they need to supply please?

Comment

Delivered signed for ten minutes ago so not had a good look yet

Comment

Dear all,

Thank you for your existence !!! And the help and advice received in 2016!! (Responded to their claim court form ,demanding a CCA , and have not heard anything ever since ….https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...form#post87296) I have come bk due to Lowell chasing me for a debt made in 2011, last later demanding payment was may 2016 . Since then i have not heard from Lowell with regards this debt nor via letter,phone ,email,txt , i had a ccj that came off my file in Nov 2022 , since then. I been working on my credit , therefore i signed and payed for Experian to gain access to my credit file . Not even a week later i get a txt message from Lowell, to call and quote a ref nr , i did call, put in my details (date of birth 6nr , and postcode 2 nr ) to see what they are chasing ! This is how i found out what they are after by listening to their automated ref recognition. Please advise what should i be doing next .

Comment

Originally posted by Cos69 View Post
                        Dear all,

Thank you for your existence !!! And the help and advice received in 2016!! (Responded to their claim court form ,demanding a CCA , and have not heard anything ever since ….https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...form#post87296) I have come bk due to Lowell chasing me for a debt made in 2011, last later demanding payment was may 2016 . Since then i have not heard from Lowell with regards this debt nor via letter,phone ,email,txt , i had a ccj that came off my file in Nov 2022 , since then. I been working on my credit , therefore i signed and payed for Experian to gain access to my credit file . Not even a week later i get a txt message from Lowell, to call and quote a ref nr , i did call, put in my details (date of birth 6nr , and postcode 2 nr ) to see what they are chasing ! This is how i found out what they are after by listening to their automated ref recognition. Please advise what should i be doing next .
                        You need to post this on the original thread.

Comment

Hi what would the original thread be ? Sory not very good at forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Cos69 View Post
                            Hi what would the original thread be ? Sory not very good at forums.
                            https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...-debts-cc-form

Comment

Got a bit confused there!!! As I said Lowells have only sent information since the end of 2022 when they took over. Is that all the SAR covers please?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X