• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DWF Asda £125 Security Fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWF Asda £125 Security Fees

Hi I’m looking for some advice please.

In November 2022 I didn’t scan some clothing items in Asda at the trolley self scan, genuine mistake on my behalf lack of sleep and a 2 year old having a melt down at the time. On leaving the store my trolley wheels locked and was stopped by security. They printed off my receipt from the machine I was at and concluded I obviously hadn’t scanned the clothing. I apologised profusely, explained I had every intention of paying for them to which I did. Lady said she didn’t believe me and they don’t know peoples situations, to which I said I completely understand everyone is treated in the same way. They seemed shocked that i genuinely wanted the items and proceeded to pay for them and that they would need to analyse the cctv to see if I was acting sheepish.
    They explained as the value was under £100 (£66 in total) no further action would be taken I was banned from the store, and advised I would have a letter to confirm this, they took a photo of my driving license at the till and I went on my way.
    I have received no letter to date from Asda for said banning but have just had my third letter from DWF.

First two letters are requesting £125 within 14 days, I did have a phone call from someone at DWF just before Christmas, he said he had no idea what it was concerning and it was a strange one as no stolen goods amounts etc just the security fees for £125.. I told him this was the first I’d heard since the matter and made out as if I hadn’t received any letters. He suggested I went into store to try and resolve this and asked if I could get to them within a week, I explained it’s Christmas next week, I’m heavily pregnant and at the time my daughter had Strep A so had no intention of returning to the store right now, they said they would put a hold on it for now and our call ended.

This week a third letter has come stating if no payment is received within 14 days they will consider court proceedings, there’s mention of bailiffs, and contacting my employer to retrieve funds from my earnings.

I had read previous threads relating to DWF and saw that commonly the advice is to ignore, and that these letters are to scare people, which the 3rd letter has done a little. I know in the eyes of Asda I’m a thief, but they were at no loss from this so how far could this really go?

Thanks for taking the time to read and advice would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

I am always surprised by DWF sending these threatening letters.
    After all they are a firm of solicitors and should know better than threaten legal proceedings when they know they will not initiate them, and that if they did they would lose as there is no foundation for them.
    They have set themselves up as judge and jury and are no better than vigilantes

Just continue to ignore them and eventually they will give up.

Meanwhile look after yourself and family and have a good New Year

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply.
      Fingers crossed sooner rather than later.
      Happy New Year to you too!

Comment

Originally posted by LROW View Post
        Thank you very much for your reply.
        Fingers crossed sooner rather than later.
        Happy New Year to you too!
        Hi, did nothing ever happen with DWF? How many letters did you get? I am in a similar situation and stressed

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X