• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt Collection Utility Company in Administration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt Collection Utility Company in Administration

Hello.

I was with Utlity Point (gas & electricity) who went into administration last year.

I have been contacted by a debt collection agency who tells me I have x amount of outstanding debt with utlity point.

I have asked for evidence of the debt as I want to verify that utility point have used correct readings and have charged me the correct amount.

The debt collection agency only has the cover page of a bill that simply states that I owe them x amount. It doesn't give any details of how the debt is calculated, accrued, and provides no meter readings or anything. Just "you owe us this".

The debt collection agency has confirmed that this is the only information / evidence that they have about the debt.

Is this sufficient grounds to dispute the debt? Or at least enough grounds to say that I have no way of verifying if this debt is correct?

I really am not trying to mess them around as I am perfectly happy paying a debt that I owe. But I would like to get the meter readings that they used so that I can ensure that it is correct (that they have correctly applied my credit balance also) and so my new energy supplier has the correct meter readings on account opening.

Any advice would be fantastic. Should I pay the amount that the 1 page statement says, or do I have a right to see exactly how the debt was accrued (a flow of account payments and meter readings used). And also price per kwh etc

Cheers
    Tags: None

Further, I no longer live at the address.
    Utility Point sent me a final closing bill (showing credit) for December 2020 and were supposed to switch me over to EDF but despite me giving my final meter readings to EDF when moving out July 2021, EDF were never able to provide me with a final closing bill. After filing a complaint with EDF they told me that they never supplied me with energy at the address and I had no balance to pay so the account was settled. So the switch never actually happened.

I don't know if EDF handed the meter readings I gave them when moving out of the property in July 2021 to Utlity point to give me an updated closing bill as I have never seen this letter. The only letter I have from Utlity point is the closing bill dated December 2020 (showing credit).

I know it's a bit of a mess which is exactly why I need to verify that this debt is correct.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X