• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt statute barred time limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt statute barred time limit

Hi

I was looking for some advice on the time limit for a debt to be statute barred that was originally taken out in England with me subsequently moving to Scotland.

I’m confused as to whether it would be six years because it was initiated in England or if it would be five as i now live in Scotland.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Enforcement of an English judgment in Scotland is possible only after that judgment has been registered formally in Scotland. The document which we require to register is a Certificate of Judgment issued in terms of Section 18 of, and Schedule 6 to, the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act 1982

​​​​​​Can English debt be chased in Scotland?
    How long can a debt be chased in Scotland? ... The timescale for a debt regulated by the Consumer Credit Act to be 'prescribed' in Scotland is generally five years. When a debt is prescribed it ceases to exist. Creditors cannot chase you for the money owed.
    Last edited by MIKE770; 8th March 2022, 07:29:AM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

So if a judgement was obtained in England after 5 years and they tried to enforce it in Scotland, I could argue it is statute barred?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X