• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt isn't mine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt isn't mine.

I recently received letters from a debt collection agency, CDER, demanding payment of almost £700.
    The letters were addressed to my name and obviously my address but I'm not the person they want. They claim I drove into London on a date in early 2020 and didn't pay either the congestion charge or the ulez charge. They are asking me to prove that the person they want doesn't live at my address. They are asking for documents to prove this but any documents I have have the name of the person they want on them. In any case it's impossible to prove a negative. I can't prove somebody doesn't live here.
    They have threatened to "take control of my goods" by sending an agent to my property.
    I've told them I was clocked on at work all day on the date of this offence on the letters and hundreds of miles from London in the north east. I've told them I've never owned the car with the reg on the letters which is a Mercedes diesel. I've lived at this address over 30 years and the mercs reg has never been registered here. I don't know where they got my details from and not sure what to do now.
    Should I provide them with the documents they ask for? As they are a private company with a terrible reputation I'm a bit loath to give them any more of my personal details.

Any advice appreciated.
    Tags: None

ostell

Comment

Can't help with that but try PEPIPOO forums

Comment

Hallo, Please understand that I am not a legal bod but I have spent the last nearly two years trying to sort out debts that have been fraudulently incurred by someone misrepresenting himself as my daughter's boyfriend.

in my experience - do not volunteer information about yourself. Make a subject access request to the firm (this means they have to provide you with all the information they hold on you). Complain to them (about harassment?). Send these documents by Post office signed for, so you get a receipt. Look the firm up online at Companies House, where you can get info about the people who run the firm and send them the correspondence as well.

You can obtain vehicle ownership details online from the DVLA (cheaply or free if you tick a box). Send a copy to the firm with a letter saying you are not the registered owner of the vehicle, as they would know if they had bothered to check.

Keep a copy of any letters you send them and every time you write, send your new letter AND your previous letters (in other words, make a nuisance of yourself!)

Best of luck.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X