• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Capquest & Student Loan debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capquest & Student Loan debt

Hello, I did search the forums but I was unable to find anything specific to the issue I am having.

I have a mortgage style student loan which began in 1997. My course finished in 2000 and from what I can remember I deferred no more than 3 times before I moved away and had no contact since. So this would have been 2003 at the latest. Capquest is now chasing me for the debt. I sent a statute-barred letter but they have replied saying the debt isn't statute-barred as it only defaulted in 2017. I would like advice on how to proceed, please?

I would have thought the cause of action' would start 12 months after the last deferment I spoke to the National Debt Helpline, but they advised me to get legal advice before I respond. From what I understand SLC sold the student loans around 2014 toErudio? What I do know is that Erudio defaulted me in Jan 2017 (according to Capquest) I have received no CCJ on my file, in fact, the default isn't on my file but I don't want to rock the boat on that bit.
    Tags: None

12 years way past for them to do anything ?? Mortgage barred sure somebody will be along soon??@Celestine
    Last edited by MIKE770; 11th June 2020, 18:21:PM.

Comment

OMG, do you have any news? it's a looong debt
      Like really, I understand that life struggles are horrible sometimes and the last thing you can think of is repaying a loan, but this is serious. When everything was down for me, I also decided get a loan, and I knew that was the priority payment until I repay it all. Found a good deal, though, but did a good search as well. Found a good source of info about pay day loans and actually used the information to choose the option which would not bring me to poverty. All repaid now, happy to have found it back then, when I need it. But please, guys, keep in mind that you WILL have to pay it off, no matter what.
      Not sure, though, what happens in this situation, but best of luck coping with it.
      Last edited by AlanPO; 7th July 2020, 07:06:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DAvidw1976 View Post
        Hello, I did search the forums but I was unable to find anything specific to the issue I am having.

I have a mortgage style student loan which began in 1997. My course finished in 2000 and from what I can remember I deferred no more than 3 times before I moved away and had no contact since. So this would have been 2003 at the latest. Capquest is now chasing me for the debt. I sent a statute-barred letter but they have replied saying the debt isn't statute-barred as it only defaulted in 2017. I would like advice on how to proceed, please?

I would have thought the cause of action' would start 12 months after the last deferment I spoke to the National Debt Helpline, but they advised me to get legal advice before I respond. From what I understand SLC sold the student loans around 2014 toErudio? What I do know is that Erudio defaulted me in Jan 2017 (according to Capquest) I have received no CCJ on my file, in fact, the default isn't on my file but I don't want to rock the boat on that bit.
        Erudio seem to have a knack of not following the legislation in my opinion. The Education (Student Loans)Regulations set down the deferment requirements, yet i have not seen a single case where there has been compliance with schedule 2. Worst still, Eurdio on some cases failed to comply with s86C CCA 1974 and thus could not enforce their agreements while in breach, as a result any default notices issued during the period of breach would be defective in my view.

So Erudio have a few issues, certainly on the case i am dealing with
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Just in the way of an update, I have done a SAR and also requested to see the original loan document. So just waiting to see what I get back from that. Their 2nd and 3rd letter to me was an invitation to settle, but neither gave an amount.

I completed an IVA just over 2 years ago and thought all this was behind me. I've since got a mortgage & no other debt.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X