• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

alleged debt help -

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alleged debt help -

hello there I am new here. I have joined after this forum was recommended to me due to all the helpful people on here so i am hoping you can offer me some advice.

It's quite a long complicated story but I will try to explain as fully as possible. I'll also add all this in relation to my other half but i'm just going to talk in first person as it's easier to type rather than refer to them all the time.

March 2019
    - unknown transactions appear on my bank statement as PAYPAL"xyz" on several occasions the "xyz" was cdkeys & on one occasion it was "klimbramiad"
    - following this I contact the bank to report these fraudulent transactions, who cancel debit card & issue me with a new one
    - I immediately close my paypal account (i'll step in as "me" here & say I feel OH jumped the gun on this a bit. OH tells me that prior to closing the paypal account they checked the transaction summary & no transactions were listed but I cannot know this for sure).
    - bank sends forms to complete about the fraudulent transactions & eventually the money is reimbursed.

May 2019
    - letter received to home address from ARC Europe (debt collector) stating
    - I email ARC on the email address details on the letter asking them to provide further details on the debt as I am unaware of an debt on my paypal account. No response was received.
    - there is no way to email paypal directly so I had to reopen a paypal account in order to message them via message centre. After some back & forth of exchange of messages with me explaining having received a letter from debt collector (DC) they state the matter can only be discussed over the phone. I phone them & again explain the situation. They sate they cannot see any debt on my account & do not know why my details would have been passed to DC, going on to state that actually "a transaction has never been made on the account". I request they sort out this issue with ARC

August 2019
    - a second letter from ARC Europe arrives stating the debt is still outstanding

extra info:
    I (me) use my own paypal account regularly. From what I know a payment can only be made via paypal if there are sufficient funds in your pp account or linked credit/debit card. If there are insufficient funds then the transaction wont go through. From that point of view I don't understand how paypal can be short/due money?
    Any transaction made with pp will appear in the "account activity" section. OH used pp rarely & tells me on occasions it was used the checkout by guest option was used (as opposed to signing into your paypal account). I have never used this option so don't know if the transaction would then appear on paypal. I dont really understand this option to be honest.
    I have no idea whether the fraudulent transactions did show under paypal activity. Bc the account was closed the new account only shows things May onwards. This isnt helpful & makes the situation difficult for paypal to seem to understand as they just keep saying to flag up the fraudulent transactions via resolution center which obviously can't be done as they aren't detailed on pp.

I wonder whether it's possible that the fraudster tried to make more transactions back in March but by the time paypal tried to take the money the card had been cancelled, could that be a possibility? But wouldn't the transaction just have been declined as i think it all works in real time.
    I am really concerned & worried about this. The debt is in OH name & our shared address. Given that bank details were stolen, a fraudster will have OH name & address. Could it be that another paypal account has been set up by a fraudster but using OH’s details? Because from recollection all you need to create a paypal account is an email address? In this case that would be identity fraud.

We asked pp to confirm the account (ie email address) the alleged debt was in relation to but they said they can’t give out account details only confirm that nothing is showing on OH’s account (the one with setup using their email address).

From reading online & advice, I think the next steps would be emailing DC a “prove it” letter using template: https://www.nationaldebtline.org/S/s...e-name%29.aspx

Email PP letter using this template: https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

And wait for responses. Which I do not expect to come.

I don’t like the sit & wait as I know DC are likely to issue a 3rd & final letter before proceeding with legal action & that scares me. I have seen people sharing that DC’s have gone ahead & issued CJJ’s despite not reqponsding to “prove it” letters.

The debt is sub £200 so not really an issue to pay (and would cost more to actually seek legal advice from a solicitor) but in paying the debt that means accepting liability for it & the associated account which I don’t feel comfortable doing as it’s also accepting liability for future debt on the same account.

Really hope someone can help.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X