• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with parents 'charging orders'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with parents 'charging orders'

Hello! Newbie here!

I'm trying to get my head around my mother's debt (she's struggling with it all mentally). She has had to remortgage (aged 68) as she had an interest-only mortgage. Anywho this threw up a load of information that we didn't know! My father died 2010 and since then (and before) my mum buried her head in the sand. Long story short, the mortgage company asked us what we were going to do with the 'restrictions' on the house...

So we have a restriction from 1st Credit - in mums name - have paperwork and amount outstanding - will pay - worth offering a settlement?
    Restriction from Cabot in late dad's name - one is a RBS loan - not sure this is correct is there a way I can check??
    Restriction from Arrow Global in mums name - have paperwork offering us a settlement figure
    Restriction from CL Finance in mums name - no idea what this is for - again can I check??
    Equitable charge from Asset Link - have paperwork for this - will pay (they say that link financial outsourcing are managing the account but the statement we have from them says "GE money consumer lending limited" and has a slightly different amount - less than £200?? can I check this?)

I hope this makes some sort of sense to someone! Any advice GREATLY appreciated!
    Tags: None

Peridot

Comment

I think your first step is to gather all the information you need to be able to start dealing with these debts, so send a Subject Access Request to each of the companies ( from your Mum ) Subject Access Request Letter . This should get you details of the debts, history of them and how much they are. Then you can look whether they will accept settlements to remove the restrictions from the house. Do you know if she has been making payments against any of the debts ? Were they originally secured loans or has she got CCJ's against her which have been secured by charging orders? ( might be worth checking her credit file and on the registry trust ( trust online ) for any CCJ's.

What's the current position with the remortgage ? Presumably she had an interest only mortgage but doesn't have any repayment vehicle/investment in place?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you, mum has zero CCJs. She has a fantastic credit score/clear report! The mortgage has been approved (with extra to pay these debts).

I'm not sure if the debts were secured or not.

These debts date back to 2008 and before.

Comment

The CCJ's will have fallen off the register, and credit file, after 6 years ( the charges can only be there from a secured loan or following a CCJ ) so your only option if you want to get them sorted out/removed is to write to each of the companies who hold the restriction and request full details, then go from there whether you try to have them settled or removed.

Are they actually affecting anything or is it just the thought of them being there that is worrying your Mum ?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            The CCJ's will have fallen off the register, and credit file, after 6 years ( the charges can only be there from a secured loan or following a CCJ ) so your only option if you want to get them sorted out/removed is to write to each of the companies who hold the restriction and request full details, then go from there whether you try to have them settled or removed.

Are they actually affecting anything or is it just the thought of them being there that is worrying your Mum ?
            Thanks, at first when we thought they were charging orders she got very worried that she'd lose the house, now she's worried about our inheritance. The mortgage company were reluctant to remortgage with them, but that's all gone through ok now!

Do these restrictions affect anything? Can they charge her for them, if she were to sell the house?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X