• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Control account FedEx letter before claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control account FedEx letter before claim

Greetings Beagles,

I am after some advice please...
    In February FedEx delivered a small parcel sent from the USA. The item was a warranty repair in USA (Florida) sent back to me at no cost. However the sender put a value of $50 on the customs packaging. The parcel carrier was FedEx. The item arrived at my address in the UK and after a few days FedEx issued an invoice for £18.95 sent to my home address.

£6.95 Original VAT
    £12.00 Advancement Fee

I contacted the seller/shipper and asked what this was all about? They assured me that they had paid all the shipping costs and the item should incur no VAT charges in the UK as it was an FOC repair under warranty. I didnt hear from Fed EX after that. I was travelling abroad for a few months when I have returned home to find a letter from Control account which appears to be a DCA who have purchased this debt. They have continued with correspondence and the debt has been increased to £36.45 with a warning that if I do not pay the full amount a further £40 will be added plus court and legal fees.

Now I find this a total scam as I beleive I do not owe the Govt nor the carrier any money. To make it worse the debt agency now wants a piece of the action. I rang FedEx and made some enquiries, was told that because the value of the item was $50 the VAT and handling charges were payable. I tried to explain and even offerred to pay the VAT but I was told that the matter was out of their hands and now I would need to ccontact Control accounts (DCA). I called CA and they have said that if I don't pay I will be taken to court as they have all the documentation from the shipment which is available to view online.

Can anyone advise me on this please? If I get the proper support I am more than happy to contest this at court. I have attached redacted copies of the invoice and letter from CA. Any advice will be gratefully received and appreciated. I would love to hear from folks who have taken on these scammers and contested the matter at court. My only concern is the piling up costs and whether it is worth fighting this. I would reluctantly submit to pay the VAT but certainly want to challenge the handling/advancement fee and the DCA charges.

Please help...

Badger

Attached Files
    Tags: None

Have you got a copy of the docket?

When you first purchased the item you had fixed under warranty, you purchased it from the same place? and paid import at that time?

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Have you got a copy of the docket?

When you first purchased the item you had fixed under warranty, you purchased it from the same place? and paid import at that time?

Hi Amethyst,

thank you for your reply. This item was bought to me by a friend from the USA when he visited me. Its a used item he had been using abroad and gave it to me as he no need for it. There was an issue with it so I contacted the manufacturer who asked for it to be returned for a repair. All they did was update the software and send it back. Does this help? The item was really a repair as a goodwill by the company

thanks

Badger

Comment

Okay yes that makes sense. So it depends whats on the docket - think you mentioned they wrote $50 value on it? wonder why...confusion re insurance ?
        They assured me that they had paid all the shipping costs and the item should incur no VAT charges in the UK as it was an FOC repair under warranty.
        was that in writing and have you shown 'fedex' that?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Okay yes that makes sense. So it depends whats on the docket - think you mentioned they wrote $50 value on it? wonder why...confusion re insurance ?
          was that in writing and have you shown 'fedex' that?[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
          So the company apparently have to write something on the docket... i.e put a value on it as it cannot be zero and they have put $50 but stating 'no charge, repaired under warranty'

My question is will these chaps take this to court and will I get support from here to fight this?

Comment

Who knows... personally I'd be trying to get it sorted before it gets near a court. Put your complaint in writing to them. You did not agree to that £12 advancement charge at all and have not contracted with FEDEX - were not informed of this charge when they delivered the parcel etc etc.... then the duty/tax part the ''goods'' were your own sent to the US for a service and thus not applicable for VAT/import duty etc. ( I don't know if that is the case so check ) Not sure really who would have the relevant knowledge in this area on here else I'd tag someone.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

They have complaint/appeal forms for Parcel Force / RM customs charges https://assets.publishing.service.go...510/bor286.pdf but seems that you have to complain via Fedex when they have made the delivery. I'd guess there must be some way of contacting 'Border Force' to check rules and find out how to challenge ?
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Who knows... personally I'd be trying to get it sorted before it gets near a court. Put your complaint in writing to them. You did not agree to that £12 advancement charge at all and have not contracted with FEDEX - were not informed of this charge when they delivered the parcel etc etc.... then the duty/tax part the ''goods'' were your own sent to the US for a service and thus not applicable for VAT/import duty etc. ( I don't know if that is the case so check ) Not sure really who would have the relevant knowledge in this area on here else I'd tag someone.
                Been reading several posts here advising to ignore Control Account? is that not the case? I have already emailed them that I ill pay the VAT but they want the whole amount? Is there no one here who can advise?

Comment

Okay so I wrote to FedEx and stressed that the admin charge will not be paid and I will only pay the VAT. I will also not engage with the these jokers Control Account. Fedex got back and accepted the £6.95 and closed the case. For all those who want advice here, I suggest you only communicate with Fedex in writing via email and don't involve the jokers. Would have thought there would be some more help here.

Comment

Apologies, it's not something I know about personally, I'm sure others will look in later on. @seduread ADDLED posted on the previous thread so might have some knowledge on the matters.
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by badge View Post

So the company apparently have to write something on the docket... i.e put a value on it as it cannot be zero and they have put $50 but stating 'no charge, repaired under warranty'
                      Hi badge, glad you got it sorted in the end.
                      Unfortunately Fedex have assumed it was a product that you imported and there are a couple of things that could have been done to get around this

1) The sender should have provided a shipping invoice stating the following:
                      "Goods are a warranty repair item and have no commercial or resale value; value for customs purposes $50"

UK Customs just need to see a nominal value what it would be worth, yet the value put is totally arbitrary since the item is a third-hand faulty product, repaired under warranty (the sender could have put $10 and customs would have accepted that). Fedex would then have seen the shipment as returned goods and used the correct customs entry code and not charged you.

2) Fedex would (SHOULD!) have accepted a copy of the export docket and accompanying paperwork from when you sent the item for repair. They'd have then been able to cross-reference the out/back shipments and treat it as above. Although... if there was no mention of a returned repair on the paperwork when it was returned then they'd treat it as they did.

Its a bit belated, but i hope that helps you.
                      ADD.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X