• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclay card/capquest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclay card/capquest

Hi All,

I had a Barclays credit card that went into default on 06/11/09. The debt was sold to Capquest and I pay them every month. My issue is that I checked my credit file and there is no sign of any Capquest account but the Barclay card is there and showing as a default for 5 months from July 09 to Nov 09. It shows that the balance of default is £2400 and the current balance is £1400.

My questions are -
    Is this correct, that is to say if the balance is being reduced should this not be reflected?

Should my agreement with Capquest not be on my credit file?

Is there anything I can do to reflect that I now pay this and to stop it showing as a default with Barclay card?

I accept this was not paid initially and i have taken steps to address this but my credit file does not represent this in anyway. What if anything can I do?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Lou :-)
    Tags: None

Re: Barclay card/capquest

When an account is defaulted then the credit files are marked to that effect. The fact you are paying it off doesn't alter the fact that it went into default for X amount outstanding on Y date and they don't alter.

When a defaulted account is sold on to a debt collector then the new owner becomes the Data Controller, and they inherit the duties of as well as the rights, so they become responsible as Data Controller for registering accurate data and so on. Normally the credit file entries get updated to reflect the name of the new owner, but providing the amounts are accurate that doesn't change much. The fact that the balance is £1000 less than the defaulted figure sounds as if payments are being registered, but are the amounts correct?

You haven't mentioned the default process or the charges that will have been added on to this account. They don't form part of any legitimate debt, so if you calculate those they can be challenged and removed from the balance. If you don't have details of the charges it might be worth your while sending a SAR to obtain all the data Barclaycard hold on you. That will reveal the charges and all the process like default and assignment, which could have been flawed. It's also useful to know if they still have a valid copy of the credit agreement, as CQ would need to produce that in order to take legal action over this.

Comment

Re: Barclay card/capquest

Originally posted by buntylou View Post
      Hi All,

I had a Barclays credit card that went into default on 06/11/09. The debt was sold to Capquest and I pay them every month. My issue is that I checked my credit file and there is no sign of any Capquest account but the Barclay card is there and showing as a default for 5 months from July 09 to Nov 09. It shows that the balance of default is £2400 and the current balance is £1400.

My questions are -
      Is this correct, that is to say if the balance is being reduced should this not be reflected?

Should my agreement with Capquest not be on my credit file?

Is there anything I can do to reflect that I now pay this and to stop it showing as a default with Barclay card?
      The default on your credit file is supposed to reflect your conduct with the account, i.e. that you didn't keep to the contractual terms. Sadly it doesn't make much difference that you are repaying the debt for the purpose of your credit record. Having said that, the default has just one year left to live as it should drop off 6 years from when it was recorded. For the purpose of applying for credit, some lenders will only search the past 3 years so they may not all come across this one. :thumb:

Also bear in mind the info you see when you check your file bears no resemblance to what the lenders will see when they run a credit check, they all hook up to the CRAs using their own proprietary software and may not see as much detail as you do.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X