• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

lioness v Barclaycard ~~SETTLED~~

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14th January 2007 MY EMAIL IN REPLY

Dear Mr xxxxxxxx

Re Your settlement offer

Thank you for your email of 11th January 2007.

Leaving the costs issue to one side for the moment, your offer still falls short of the amount of my claim with county court interest. I do not accept it.

I am not sure that I understand your statement in relation to CPR 27.14(2)(g) not applying. I believe that the judge does have discretion to award costs in the SCC against a party who has acted unreasonably.

You also stated on the telephone on 3/1/07 that I should not forget that Barclays has incurred the same costs. I have considered this statement and in answer I have to say that Barclays' legal costs in relation to my claim cannot amount to very much - you filed the same standard (summary) defence that you file in all claims of this nature, and an allocation questionnaire. Possibly one hours work all told. You failed to comply with the court's directions to submit evidence, so I am unable to agree with you. You also had the opportunity of settling this as soon as the claim was issued, so you did not need to incur any costs.

I am not disputing your entitlement to defend my claim. Indeed, had you in fact done so, I doubt whether you would now be offering to settle. Barclays has not provided any supporting evidence in relation to its defence, therefore the defence amounts to little more than a series of unsubstantiated denials and I consider that you are now trying to masquerade it as a legitimate attempt to resist my claim in court, in an attempt to give substance to your claim to have acted reasonably. I would ask you once again to take responsibility for your actions before I am forced to refer to the matter of your unreasonable conduct at the hearing; those actions being in wasting the court's time and causing me to have to prepare my case for trial when it was never your intention to proceed to trial.

Your ex gratia offer of £100 leaves me with just £40 in respect of the time I have spent preparing for the hearing, when I allow for the expenses I have incurred. I have already notified you of the significant number of hours I have spent attending to this. However, I am mindful of the fact that the court may decide that a proportion of this would be irrecoverable, given the time I have needed to spend researching the procedures. Therefore, in the interests of a settlement before the hearing, I am proposing that you take responsibility for the time I have spent on preparations for the hearing, since 11th December 2006, and that I will further reduce this, as a goodwill gesture for the purposes of a settlement out of court only, by 14 hours 45 minutes, leaving a claim for 26 hours of work (£240.50). As you will see this reduces the overall claim by 25 hours, nearly 50%. Together with my expenses, my offer is to reduce my claim for costs to £299.86; say £300.

This is my bottom line and should you not agree to this proposal, I shall be putting forward the full amount for the court's consideration.

To summarise, I will accept the following amount from you, without conditions, in order to discontinue my claim:
    £
    charges 242.33
    court fee 30.00
    county court interest 11/8/2004 to 16/1/2007 35.51
    sub total 307.84
    costs 300.00
    Total 607.84

If you do not agree to my terms then I will have no other option than to deem my claim as unsatisfied and proceed to the hearing. As it is now too late for a cheque to clear or for a bank transfer to reach my current account before Wednesday, I will accept a banker's draft by courier delivery by midday Tuesday (16th January 2007), which would allow sufficient time for me to notify the court that the hearing should be cancelled.

Yours sincerely

Comment

15th January 2007 PAY DAY!!

I've WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ZIPPITY DO DA!!!!!!!!!!!!

with £300 on top!!!!!!!!!!!

Their reply by email -
      Dear Mrs xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Whilst I dispute that the Court will view the Bank's actions in defending this claim as unreasonable, and that the Court will accept that the hours you have quoted were reasonably incurred, the Bank is willing to reimburse you the £30 court fee, interest at the County Court rate calculated until tomorrow, together with an ex gratia goodwill payment of £300. This reflects that the sums at issue are relatively modest, and for the Bank to instruct Counsel to attend a hearing concerning the reasonableness of the costs you have incurred, is disproportionate. This goodwill payment is in addition to £242.33 which has already been reimbursed to your Barclaycard account no. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Please forward me your account details so that a CHAPS payment can be made this afternoon / tomorrow, as opposed to further costs being incurred raising a banker's draft and having it couriered to you. I am available on this email address or on the telephone number below.

Yours sincerely,

Comment

16th January 2007

my email to them

Further to our exchange of emails yesterday, I wasn't sure whether to reply to you or Mr xxxxxxxx, so please forward this message on to him if you are no longer dealing with this.

As regards cancelling the hearing, I will notify the court by fax either tonight or tomorrow morning, when/if the money shows in my Lloyds account. With regards to the settlement letter, I will be returning it with amendments - I have deleted the confidentiality clause and the clause regarding payment being made into my Barclaycard account. I will also send you a copy of any letter I send to the court.
        CHAPS payment shows in my Lloyds account around 2.30pm

Letter faxed to court at 3.40pm notifying them of settlement and discontinuation of proceedings.

3.45pm settlement letter/email with copy of fax to court posted back to Mr xxxxxxxx 2nd Class Post

3.50pm Telephone call to court to make sure they have received fax.

Email from Barclaycard sols at 6.35pm

I was just wondering if you could confirm whether the CHAPS payment has been received by you and if you have informed the court of our settlement.

Regards

my turn to make YOU wait Barclaycard!

Comment

17th January 2007 A HAPPY ENDING

Knock on door at 7.30am today - postie - special delivery - Barclays settlement letter which cost them £8.85 to have delivered before 9am!!

My email at 10.30 am, in response to theirs last night

Thank you for your email. I can confirm that your CHAPS payment was received and that I did notify the court of the settlement. I have returned the settlement letter in the post to you with a copy of my fax to the court.

Regards,
          THE END!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X