• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Multiple defaults for Barclaycard and wrong dates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple defaults for Barclaycard and wrong dates

Hi all, after some advice / guidance on what to do regarding defaults applied to my credit file from a Barclaycard credit card.

I opened the account in 2016, then in 2017 I entered a Debt Payment Programme (DPP) via StepChange - I'm based in Scotland so it was done under the Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS).

Barclaycard recorded missed payments from September 2017, then in November 2020 I received a letter from Westcot advising that they were dealing with my account and I had to contact them to arrange payment. I contacted them and explained that I was in a DPP and StepChange also advised me to forward on any letters to them to deal with. StepChange requested that Barclaycard recalled the debt and they continued paying them directly. This went on until September 2021 when the debt was then sold to Cabot Financial and all future payments were made by StepChange to them.

I now have 2 defaults applied in September 2020 by Barclaycard and Cabot Financial for the same credit card. I understand Cabot Financial are using the original default date from Barclaycard, however it looks as though it was applied just before they tried to sell the debt to Westcot.

Am I right in saying that the default should've been applied closer to September 2017, and not 3 years later? All of my other accounts were defaulted around the same time in 2017 and have now dropped off, however these two are still on my credit file and aren't due to drop off until 2026!

I've seen a few other posts advising to log a complaint with Barclaycard card. Who do I need to contact, and is there a letter template anyone can point in the direction of? Any help would be hugely appreciated.
    ​​​​​​
    Thanks.
    Tags: None

Hi LT-1991

Welcome to LB

There should only be one Default for a debt, but sometimes you do get more then one default as stated in your post.

Make a formal complaint to Barclaycard (you don't need a template). Explain that they have defaulted the account twice, when it should have been defaulted once from September 2017, that it's clearly effected your ability to obtain credit and that the second default needs removing. Explain that it's caused you upset. Explain that you are minded to lodge a complaint with the ICO.

Follow the complaints procedure on their website.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X