• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default Notice / Statute Barred

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default Notice / Statute Barred

Good morning,

I am really struggling to understand when the clock starts for a debt to be statute barred.

I havent made a payment in over 10 years on a credit card debt and last had contact over 7 years ago when I sent a CCA request which couldn't be provided.

Would this be statute barred? I did read somewhere that the 6years starts from when the default notice was issued,what would happenif they turn around and say one wasnt issued? Do they have a legal obligation to issue one after a certain amount of time or missed payments?

Thank you
    Tags: None

No CCA no case

Comment

A Default Notice must be served. You need to refer to the T's & C's as to the number of missed payment's before they send a Default Notice - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...efault-notices

The thing is, if they don't send a Default Notice, then it doesn't allow you the opportunity an opportunity to put right the breach.

Comment

Thanks, but if they can't find the agreement which was pre 2007 how does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by benken28 View Post
          Thanks, but if they can't find the agreement which was pre 2007 how does that work?
          That means the debt is 'unenforceable', they can't take the matter through the Courts until they can find it.

Read the whole page, specifically - CONC 13.1 16

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/hand...ate=2016-03-07

Comment

Is there a time limit that a default must be issued in?

Comment

Is there a time limit that a default must be issued in?
              The link in post 3.

Comment

Would it be possible for a default notice to be issued now? I will send an information request and see what they have

Thanks

Comment

Would it be possible for a default notice to be issued now? I will send an information request and see what they have

Thanks
                  a) I don't think so, say they Defaulted you (for what ever reason you didn't get the letter), it's dropped off your credit report after 6 years, so they can't put it back on your Credit Report.

b) If they never issued one, say the debt is statute barred, it's over the 6 year period, then there is no 'Rhyme or Reason' in them doing that now.

Comment

Ok thanks, I have just looked through my files and the CCA request was acknowledged and then they sent back the cheque that I made out as part of the request along with a letter saying they can not fulfil my request

Comment

Ok thanks, I have just looked through my files and the CCA request was acknowledged and then they sent back the cheque that I made out as part of the request along with a letter saying they can not fulfil my request
                      So as it stands, it's statute barred, because no payment or written acknowledgement of the debt in the last 6 years.

If it wasn't statute barred, it would be 'unenforceable' until they could find and provide a copy of the agreement.

Comment

Thanks, do you think I shouldnt contact them for now as I have only had the introduction letter from them

Comment

Thanks, do you think I shouldnt contact them for now as I have only had the introduction letter from them
                          You can respond with the following, make sure you get Proof of Postage:

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/sam...cover-debt-ew/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X