• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Query concerning a negative balance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query concerning a negative balance

I have a credit card with a well known UK bank.
    I made a purchase on the card for an amount close to £30,000 and paid off most of the balance
    Shortly after paying off the balance the bank closed the account without informing me and i kept on paying off the balance (about5k)
    paying off the minimum each month)
    I found out the account was "closed" when i couldn't find the credit card , called the bank and they told me the account was closed.

The account isn't actually closed , i can still see it when i log into my banking , i just can't do anything with it.

I carried on paying off the card on the monthly minimum.

The item i purchased wasn't fit for purpose and after a tedious court battle the company refunded me to the credit card..

i now have a negative balance of £20k

I called the bank on the 5th of Aug 22 , and after a lot of checking and being on hold they agreed to send the Balance to my current account.

i was told it would take up to 4 Working Days.
    Today is 8 Working days and the funds are still not in my account and looking at online banking i still have a negative balance
    of £20k on my credit card

I have tried to research this on google and keep reading how the negative balance is my money and the bank has to by law send it to me after 6 months , but this is USA Law
    not UK,

Can someone point me in the right direction of where UK law stands with this , i have tried searching through the consumer credit act act but found nothing

Thanks in Advance , any help will be greatly appreciated
    Tags: None

Have you demanded* that the bank pays you the amount in question? Plainly this is your money.

*in writing
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      Have you demanded* that the bank pays you the amount in question? Plainly this is your money.

*in writing
      Yes i have and i was told it would be made within 4 working days , that was 9 working days ago.

The argument would be much better if i could say "Under the consumer action section x blah blah"

Comment

have you looked at the terms & conditions of your agreement with the card issuer?
        That should have details on how to obtain a refund of a negative balance, including the time it takes.
        This may be a contractual obligation which you would in extremis enforce through the courts, although it shouldn't come to that
        I do not believe (unlike America) that your situation is covered by any statute or regulation

Comment

why do you want to quote a statute? It is your money, your property, and you are entitled to demand its return.

If you have not already done so, make a written demand for return of your money, warning that if this is not done within 14 days you will sue.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

As i could have guessed nothing happened.
            i called them on Friday and explained it has been 15 working days , for te 4 working day action to complete and still , nothing has changed.
            She read out the agents notes , specifically the part where he had requested the paymentt be made and then put me on hold whilst she contacted the credit card department.
            When she came back i was told that i needed to go into a Branch and go through further checks and the funds will be released.

I asked what the further checks were and she couldn't tell me.
            I asked why this could not be done now and she had no answer.

I am done with this bank , it as been a non stop series of bad management and total incompetance.

Does anyone have an example / template of a letter before action for DIstress / inconveniance that i can use to kick start court preceedings
            I've googled it but all the ones i can find are for a debt , there is a debt here , but i would like to go for distress and inconvience as well

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X