• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Compensation for financial distress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compensation for financial distress

Hey guys,*

I recently discovered that a store card I had closed had not been closed properly.*

I closed the card for a popular high street shop in May 2018 however this year when applying for a mortgage and checking my credit file I noticed that the card was still open on my credit file. (I know, I should have checked it earlier but I never thought I needed to, sounds stupid now I know!) As you can imagine this was a real shock and has affected my credit score over the last couple of years. This was rather distressing for me and impacted the options I had for mortgages. *

I have since been offered the amount of £70 as compensation to account for the error the store card company made. They have admitted the card should have been closed properly in 2018 and it should have been reflected on my credit file. This amount is also to account for the poor levels of service I had when I called to report what had happened.*

My question here is - does £70 reflect what has happened? I’m unsure if this is an amount I should query or except as I have never experienced anything like this before.*

The error has caused me financial and emotional distress and has affected my ability to get credit elsewhere. Any help would be amazing.

Thank you,*
    Spaniel14

They have a duty under data protection laws to ensure that datya is accurate and up to date which in your case it wasn't because they failed to close the account. Whether the £70 reflects the situation you are in will be subjective and it is difficult to quantify these types of claims because there are very few that make it to court and are reported on.

To give you an example, in one reported case a claimant was awarded £750 because the finance company applied an adverse entry to their credit file but it was immediately removed after becoming aware a couple months down the line - however your situation is totally different to that.

Whilst I can't comment on how it has caused you stress, you say that your ability to get credit has been affected, but I wonder how you can prove that if you only became aware of it when you applied for a mortgage? If you knew it affected you getting credit prior to applying for a mortgage then you would have been aware, unless you are saying that you were refused a mortgage on the basis of the store card, in which case how can you prove that?

Were there any outstanding amounts reported on the store card on your credit file or was it simply a zero balance but not closed down?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X