• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default notice after 3 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default notice after 3 years

Hi All

I have just found out that a default has been placed on my credit file 3 years after the breach took place. Back in 2005 I when into a DMP and since have made every payment to date but I have never received any letters regarding a default notice. This credit record would have dropped off my file by now being over 6 years old but it would seem the default placed in Jan 2009 is keeping it on. Can I get the default removed along with the credit record given the time period from when the breach took place in 2005. I'm not sure if I should challenge this but can't help feeling the record is inaccurate and being kept on file for an excessive period of time.

Any advise would be very helpful
    Tags: None

Re: Default notice after 3 years

Who put the default on? Was it the original creditor? Was it someone entirely new?

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
      Who put the default on? Was it the original creditor? Was it someone entirely new?
      The original creditor.

Comment

Defaults placed on a DMP are somewhat of grey area. By that I mean that much is down to individual circumstances and payment history, what you have been paying compared to what the contractual payments would have been, and a certain amount of discretion and interpretation of guidelines by the lender.

Nevertheless there are (somewhat confusing?) guidelines that would be worth a careful read.

See: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-Vital-Reading

If for example your DMP payments are small compared to original contractual ones. or there is some other obvious indication of a default (pass to debt collection/collectors for example - see list in guidance), or you feel that recording a default late has put you at a distinct unfair disadvantage compared to someone you made no effort to repay (and would have been defaulted almost immediately), then you may have grounds for complaining and asking the default to be backdated.

Some people have had success in such complaints, although it is rather hit and miss.

If you decide to complain, make it clear that you will be taking the matter to the FOS and ICO if the creditor does not agree to backdate. And follow through with that threat if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
          Defaults placed on a DMP are somewhat of grey area. By that I mean that much is down to individual circumstances and payment history, what you have been paying compared to what the contractual payments would have been, and a certain amount of discretion and interpretation of guidelines by the lender.

Nevertheless there are (somewhat confusing?) guidelines that would be worth a careful read.

See: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-Vital-Reading

If for example your DMP payments are small compared to original contractual ones. or there is some other obvious indication of a default (pass to debt collection/collectors for example - see list in guidance), or you feel that recording a default late has put you at a distinct unfair disadvantage compared to someone you made no effort to repay (and would have been defaulted almost immediately), then you may have grounds for complaining and asking the default to be backdated.

Some people have had success in such complaints, although it is rather hit and miss.

If you decide to complain, make it clear that you will be taking the matter to the FOS and ICO if the creditor does not agree to backdate. And follow through with that threat if needed.

This is is very helpful and the link , I'm going to write to the creditor and request at the very least for the default to be back dated and send me a copy of the original notice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X