• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Gas Double Default

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas Double Default

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.

Several years ago (around 2001) I was subjected to an erroneous transfer of gas and electricity accounts which took almost 3 years to be rectified (late 2004). When the accounts were finally restored to British Gas (who, being honest I'm not sure were in fact the original supplier) they decided that a good way to welcome me back was to instigate court proceedings for an outstanding debt & attempt to force me to have a prepayment meter installed. I managed to get their warrant cancelled by arranging Fuel Direct payments but unfortunately this couldn't be maintained due to several episodes of being determined fit for work by a Work Capability Assessment followed by the appeal process and benefits being restored up until 2009 when I moved house and switched supplier. Throughout the whole sorry episode BG refused to supply bills or tell me what my actual usage was in order to agree some kind of reasonable repayment plan. Due to the stress of attempting to arrange anything and the corresponding detrimental effect on my mental health I stopped communicating with them at all.

Earlier this year I attempted to transfer my banking to the Halifax who were offering one of those current accounts that paid interest and a bonus for transferring but ended up being rejected. When checking why I discovered that BG had started marking my credit file with a 6 after issuing final bills for a total of £1724.60 in October (final bill was requested in August). Somehow the total became £3936 when they began marking my credit file in November 2009, having not placed any information there for the entire duration of the account.

I tried to complain to the ICO on the basis that the start dates of the accounts were wrong, the alleged amounts outstanding were wrong, no payment arrangement was in place and the first marking on my credit file took place after the account was closed. Sadly they decided that asking for proof of payment was within their remit and went no further with my complaint.

I'd like to try to get these defaults removed from my file.

Any assistance and advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X