• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defaults on Statute Barred Debts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defaults on Statute Barred Debts

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had/do you know of anyone who has successfully had a default removed on a debt which is Statue Barred? I've been reading around and have found some stories of people who have managed to get a default removed, but this usually involves settling the debt. Has anyone had success without settling the debt?

I am in a situation in which I've been defaulted on an overdraft on an old bank account. The last time I had anything to do with the account was circa 10 years ago, so the account would has been Statute Barred around 2009. However, the lovely institution in question registered a default on my credit file in 2011! I'm not sure which bizarre world they live on as this is totally unfair.

I know the ICO suggest that a default should be registered within X months, but as these are guidelines, I'm assuming a bank can dismiss them as being just that - mere guidelines. Is there any law or statute which makes the registering of a default on a Statute Barred debt unlawful? I have seen suggestions that this might be the case, but can't find anything solid.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Defaults on Statute Barred Debts

Lloyds TSB?

Comment

is it an old Halifax or Bank Of Scotland account?

Comment

Are you sure no default was registered previously against this debt?

Comment

Great guess by Nibbler

Hi Labman, I'm sure that it was never previously registered.

Comment

Originally posted by JC30 View Post
            Great guess by Nibbler
            Only because I've seen several threads, from different people, on various forums, all having been screwed over by Lloyds in exactly they same way.

Comment

Same here - from my research it seems that Lloyds have been doing this a lot.

I've seen a few people who have managed to get the removed, but that's because they've had low balances and have just settled with them. I'm not willing to pay the amount they allege against me because I don't agree that I owe them a penny.

Comment

Do Lloyds still own this debt?

Comment

Yes, I believe so.

Comment

Hi, does anyone have a definitive answer to my original questions? Is registering a default on a SB debt definitely unlawful? If so, what covers this?

Comment

See: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-Vital-Reading

A grossly inaccurately dated default would breach several of the data protection principles from the Data Protection Act.

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
                        See: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-Vital-Reading

A grossly inaccurately dated default would breach several of the data protection principles from the Data Protection Act.
                        Thanks Nibbler. The first page of that thread is helpful and promising, but the second casts some doubt again.

Does Celestine still post here? It would be interesting to get an update/more information on her posts (post five & ten) on page one.

Comment

Celestine is site admin here, so I should hope so.

Comment

Thing is to complain to the lender, complain to the CRAs, and then take it to the FOS and ICO if you get nowhere with that.

People do get mixed results from the FOS/ICO. Some get very sensible decisions. And some very odd ones that fly in the face of all guidelines. It does seem somewhat of a lottery at times.

One things is for certain though. If you don't complain, then you will definitely get nowhere.

Comment

Hi All, does anyone know whether a default can be registered on a credit file, after one year or so taken off, but then a few months later added back again!?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X