• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice on this Default Notice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice on this Default Notice.

I personally think far too much is made of dates on DNs. It was ruled (forget the case) that even a few days discrepancy was de minimis. In any case even in Carey (I think) HJ Waksman said a defective DN can be corrected.

You need a LOT more than a defective DN to prevent a claim (IMO).

It does get a lot more complicated if a debt is sold after a defective DN. IMO the 'sold debt' is just for the arrears in that case, because the original lender was prevented taking the 'next step' (i.e. claiming sums not yet due) until a valid DN is issued. I believe that 'right' (or in this case lack of right) is passed on to the assignee.
    They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

i believe brandon ruled de minimis was not effective in regards to default notices

and as brandon is post carey/wakesman, brandon takes precedence

the creditor is now held to the letter now in relation to the default and termination regs

de minimis does not apply with default notices

stand to be corrected though

what wakesman ment was that their was nothing stopping the creditor withdrawing a claim, rectifying a default notice, then issue a new claim

you cant terminate on a defective default notice

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
        i believe brandon ruled de minimis was not effective in regards to default notices

and as brandon is post carey/wakesman, brandon takes precedence

the creditor is now held to the letter now in relation to the default and termination regs

de minimis does not apply with default notices

stand to be corrected though

what wakesman ment was that their was nothing stopping the creditor withdrawing a claim, rectifying a default notice, then issue a new claim

you cant terminate on a defective default notice
        With regards to Waksman, I thought this was to do with s78 copy requests isn't it? I'm not sure it specifically deals with DN's.

As for Brandon, "the court gave no other ruling other than it was 'realistically arguable' that it was not de minimis and, as such, summary judgment had been entered incorrectly. If the matter had proceeded to trial and the de minimis argument had been raised as a matter of law, then perhaps the outcome would be different. This is particularly so in the context of a situation where a Defendant does not have any means to pay the debt anyway and, as such, whether he received 14 days or 40 days to remedy the breach is of little consequence." (http://www.lpc-law.co.uk/lpc_law_leg...e.php?lu=32897)

This would seem to indicate to me that the 'de minimis' aspect was only in terms of this particular set of cirumstances.
        I, too, stand to be corrected as case law really is not my area, it's just bits I've picked up reading around. :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
          This would seem to indicate to me that the 'de minimis' aspect was only in terms of this particular set of circumstances.
          :beagle:
          I agree (to a point) but it is just this set of circumstances that a lot of people are looking at. A few too few days to remedy and the debtor looking for the enforcement (claim) to be kicked out.

Well it may be kicked out or suspended just long enough for the creditor to issue a good DN, but that is probably all you'll achieve.

Some judges may even look at the debtors intent or ability to pay after the remedy date and the time taken for the creditors further action in making a claim.

Comment

Totally agree Basa.

Comment

Going back to the OPs original query, it appears he received a good DN giving adequate time to remedy and for arrears only. Once the remedy date given has passed without remedy the lender is free to pursue his claim for the full amount outstanding. That really is the whole point of a DN to make way for further action.

Letters from DCAs demanding money in the intervening time are of little consequence since these are not regarded as 'enforcement' action and do not affect the validity of the DN or subsequent claim.

Comment

Yep, spot on!

Comment

http://www.lpc-law.co.uk/lpc_law_leg...e.php?lu=32897

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X