• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

WON !! Richard Durkin v HFC / PC World supreme court judgment 26/03/14

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WON !! Richard Durkin v HFC / PC World supreme court judgment 26/03/14

Originally posted by EXC View Post
    For me it's the very last bit that sums it up ie ''that it is conditional upon the survival of the supply agreement'' so the 'may' isn't really a choice.
    I agree, the implied provision is part of section 11 and 12 of the act.

Good to see that the court has used an argument which as far as I can see was not presented in order for a sensible judgement to be made.

Comment

11. Restricted-use credit and unrestricted-use credit.

12. Debtor-creditor supplier agreements.

Just for ease of reference.

26. .............. In my view, in order to reflect that reality, the law implies a term into such a credit agreement that it is conditional upon the survival of the supply agreement. The debtor on rejecting the goods and thereby rescinding the supply agreement for breach of contract may also rescind the credit agreement by invoking this condition. As the debtor has no right to retain or use for other purposes funds lent for the specific transaction, the creditor also may rescind the credit agreement. It appears to me that similar reasoning would apply to a section 12(c) agreement where the credit agreement tied the loan to a particular transaction.

27. I am satisfied therefore that Mr Durkin was entitled to rescind the credit agreement.
      Still doesn't give a definitive answer, the 'debtor' has the RIGHT to rescind the agreement but doesn't say whether it is the DEBTOR who must cancel direct with creditor or if cancelling sales agreement is enough to automatically cancel credit agreement - ie. is it responsibility of 'supplier' to cancel the credit or the responsibility of the 'debtor'.???

In Durkin's case he DID contact the creditor by telephone, as well as the 'supplier' in writing ..... had he have done neither would the out come have differed ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I think that what is being said is that whilst two separate contracts exist, (the sale and the credit), as far as the act is concerned there is one agreement, section 11b says that the finance is for restricted use , so it cannot be used for anything other than the one transaction. You cannot rescind one without rescinding the other.

Comment

• Re: Durkin v DSG Retail Ltd & Anor [2014] UKSC 21 (26 March 2014)

Is this likely to have an effect on credit agreemnts wrongly rescinded by a creditor via an invalid default notice?

Comment

• Re: Durkin v DSG Retail Ltd & Anor [2014] UKSC 21 (26 March 2014)

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
            Is this likely to have an effect on credit agreemnts wrongly rescinded by a creditor via an invalid default notice?
            No sadly not.

Comment

Press stories are skimming the issue really. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-world-3287030
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

''Andrew Smith QC, who represented the married father of two in court, indicated the ruling would make it much harder for banks and other financial firms to report people to credit reference agencies, leading to them being blacklisted for credit. He said the judgment meant that where a consumer disputes that he or she defaulted on a loan or credit agreement, the bank or firm cannot put a default notice on their credit file until the matter has been resolved.

"It's victory, but they didn't have jurisdiction to help me in the end, which is disappointing," Durkin told the Guardian immediately after the judgment. "But I'm pleased for the consumer. A lot of people will benefit from this – it's massive."

Had Durkin lost, he would almost certainly have faced bankruptcy, as he could have been hit with a legal bill for an estimated £300,000, on top of his own £250,000 legal bill.

His legal team is now likely to argue that HFC Bank, a division of HSBC, and PC World – the other party in the case – should pay their own costs, plus at least some of Durkin's''

http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...-hsbc-pc-world

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian
                  Meanwhile, Smith said he had already received instructions from about 20 people who wished to follow Durkin's example in taking legal action on the grounds that they had suffered as a result of defaults being wrongly put on their files.

He said: "There may be many people who have in the past been wrongly listed as being in default who potentially have rights to litigate now."
                  Roll on the CMCs (ooooo so cynical)

anyway

He said the judgment meant that where a consumer disputes that he or she defaulted on a loan or credit agreement, the bank or firm cannot put a default notice on their credit file until the matter has been resolved.
                  Good. As it should be if the dispute is genuine and enquiries are made quickly.

I hope the Hitachi / B & Q hearing person comes back on today.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thi is what he ICO say about genuine disputed defaults on agreements. So disputed agreement defaults breach the DPA in any event.
                    Sparkie
                    "If we conclude that there is a genuine, reasonable and unresolved dispute between the borrower and lender, then we are likely to find that personal data have been processed unfairly if a default has been filed. Defaults filed in these circumstances may also be inadequate for the purpose of credit referencing in that they do not provide meaningful information about the creditworthiness of the customer".

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie1723 View Post
                      Thi is what he ICO say about genuine disputed defaults on agreements. So disputed agreement defaults breach the DPA in any event.
                      Sparkie
                      "If we conclude that there is a genuine, reasonable and unresolved dispute between the borrower and lender, then we are likely to find that personal data have been processed unfairly if a default has been filed. Defaults filed in these circumstances may also be inadequate for the purpose of credit referencing in that they do not provide meaningful information about the creditworthiness of the customer".
                      Yes of course.

TBH I see very little in the judgment which addresses the issue of miss-applied notices.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                        ''Andrew Smith QC, who represented the married father of two in court, indicated the ruling would make it much harder for banks and other financial firms to report people to credit reference agencies, leading to them being blacklisted for credit. He said the judgment meant that where a consumer disputes that he or she defaulted on a loan or credit agreement, the bank or firm cannot put a default notice on their credit file until the matter has been resolved.

"It's victory, but they didn't have jurisdiction to help me in the end, which is disappointing," Durkin told the Guardian immediately after the judgment. "But I'm pleased for the consumer. A lot of people will benefit from this – it's massive."

Had Durkin lost, he would almost certainly have faced bankruptcy, as he could have been hit with a legal bill for an estimated £300,000, on top of his own £250,000 legal bill.

His legal team is now likely to argue that HFC Bank, a division of HSBC, and PC World – the other party in the case – should pay their own costs, plus at least some of Durkin's''

http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...-hsbc-pc-world
                        Indeed, im working with Andrew at the minute

The issue of Defaults and what constitutes enforcement will be a hot potato for a while, however there is a case in the Court of Appeal which will we hope hit directly on McGuffick .
                        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie1723 View Post
                          Sparkie
                          I used to think this too, until I realised that banks won't accept that there is a dispute !! Or, rather, you are disputing what has happened but they are not, so there is no dispute (according to them). I have an old letter from Egg that says, "we do not accept that there is a dispute...".

So as far as the banks are concerned, it takes both parties to dispute something before there is a dispute. Unless the bank disputes something you've done, then the above doesn't apply.

Bloody criminals, the lot of them.

Comment

I think that it has to be remembered that the term "enforcement" has a very specific meaning within the CCA, and should not be confused with the general use of the word.

Re defining "enforcement" in terms of the CCA would not be practical, to much case law under the bridge and to much guidance issued.
                            Last edited by andy58; 26th March 2014, 18:49:PM.

Comment

Could some kind soul explain the costs issue?

Richard won his case but his barrister is asking the court that the losing side pay its own costs? I thought that the losing side had to pay everyone's costs (their own and Richard's, in this case).

Comment

• Re: Richard Durkin v HFC / PC World supreme court hearing 28th January 2014

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
                                I think that care should be given regarding the statement the the creditor should have checked the "enforceability" of the agreement before entering the Default.

On the face of it this seems to contradict Mc Guffic and other established case law which says that reporting to the CRA is not enforcement.

It must be remembered that this case is talking about enforcement via way of the rescission of the agreement, not via the requirements of section 127 and the restriction of the ability to issue an enforcement order.
                                I agree with the above, an unenforceable agreement isn't void but I suspect one that's been rescinded is.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X