• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

WON !! Richard Durkin v HFC / PC World supreme court judgment 26/03/14

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Richard Durkin v HFC / PC World supreme court hearing 28th January 2014

Nuts, got to drive home now

On the edge of my seat!

Comment

Decision will be reserved anyway won't it?

Comment

Don't think it'll last long now anyway

Comment

All done. Adjourned for a random amount of time.

I think Andrew Smith QC was brilliant. Alistair Clark QC not so good but then he's arguing a lost cause really, and the Judges did seem to be coming down on Durkin's side towards the end. But I've been wrong before. Sumption was a joy too.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

For ref.

''News of future judgments given by The Supreme Court will appear on this page approximately a week in advance of the hand down date.''

http://supremecourt.uk/news/future-judgments.html

Comment

Usually a Wednesday.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                All done. Adjourned for a random amount of time.

I think Andrew Smith QC was brilliant. Alistair Clark QC not so good but then he's arguing a lost cause really, and the Judges did seem to be coming down on Durkin's side towards the end. But I've been wrong before. Sumption was a joy too.
                Just depends on how long the bank takes to gets in touch with the judges.:doggieyes:

Comment

Having struggled to understand the relevant points of law on this I was surprised to find myself riveted (after the first bit I saw -came late - when the other chap was waffling on about rescission and I nearly dropped off). But then Judge Sumption :wub: came on.

It's odd, because it's so blatantly obvious to the laity that Rico should win... really hope you do Rico.

Comment

Screenshot of the HFC QC with Richard Dirkin & Celestine in the background.
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is a piece he did for Sky News

Comment

Its the first time I've watched a case 'live online' and although its not as good as being there, you get to hear everything first hand, and can nip to the loo... for a coffee ... if it gets too much. I hope common sense shines through, it usually does in the SCJ, and I hope the result lays the way for a bit of a change in the 'standard industry practice' that lenders seem to think makes the law. Well done to everyone involved in helping make this case carry on, for justice for Richard, and for redressing the balance a little.
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                          and can nip to the loo... for a coffee ... if it gets too much.
                          Have you ever considered relocating your hot drink making facilities to the kitchen?

I agree, there's nothing like being there but you can definitely follow it much better watching a broadcast. But as it's only available via Silverstream it means that 'open justice' is only actually open to Microsoft users - something not quite right there. At least on Parliament Live there's an alternative.

Also it's a shame the broadcasts aren't archived, again like they are with Parliament Live, so you can watch them anytime but SC say it's 'too expensive'.

Apparently some Court of Appeal hearings are being recorded now - be great if we could watch Sparkies case.

There's a couple of interesting pieces on it:

http://ukhumanrightsblog.com/2013/01/21/uksc-youtube/
                          http://ukhumanrightsblog.com/2013/10...court-lessons/

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                            Have you ever considered relocating your hot drink making facilities to the kitchen?
                            Lol !!!

One thing that struck me was the court's apparent acceptance of the £8,000 award for damage to creditworthiness, a sum awarded presumably without the need to give evidence of loss. While a drop in the ocean capared to Richard's actual losses, it might offer some hope to other victims of the banks' misuse of credit reporting. I'm guessing that a district judge might be encouraged to award this sum if it's allowed by the SC?

Comment

Funny

Just realised why, on a thread started last night regarding a wrongful default, the OP put they wanted compensation of £8k. Seemed a bit excessive for the specific case but makes sense now. Not entirely sure it works that way in reality for ANY wrongful default over any period so something needs looking at as an arbitrary 8k is going to send a lot of people scurrying off to check credit records for potential errors. Dangerous.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...r-Horror-Story
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

It's a bit like Tom was saying the other day (although in regards to a recent Google Safari judgment about breaches of DPA) that whether or not you actually suffered adverse effects, ''a right without remedy is no right at all''. But I agree that a 'standard' figure of £8k is too much.

The Guardian touches on it on a piece about the Dirkin hearing http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/...-credit-rating

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X